Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy; we've received 15" of snow in the past week and not all the streets were plowed on time around here. Anyway, I was going down the freeway this afternoon and at about 50mph the car started to shake. I mean really shake. I'd say steering wheel was vibrating up and down and moving about 1/2 an inch. It shook a little bit the other night, but nothing like this afternoon.

If I have snow in the wheels, would that throw the balance off enough to make the car shake that much? It was shaking so bad I thought that my tranny was just gonna fall right out of my car or something... :eek:

-snowcat

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
For the hundred and eleventieth time.... CLEAN THE SNOW FROM YOUR WHEELS!!! :mad:

Sorry, I think I've seen this same question asked at least 5 seperate times in 5 seperate threads in the past month....

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't think you quite understand how much snow we received in the past couple of days...

Lol... here is that scenario:

1. Leave city streets and 6" of snow behind
2. Get on freeway
3. Stop in middle of freeway to clean snow off tires
4. Drive on freeway
5. Exit freeway and merge into city street w/6" of snow on it

I still plowed the white fluffy stuff with my front end on a few streets even today in fact...

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2003/12/30/news/01streetsbzbigs.txt

:rolleyes:

-snowcat

·
Registered
878 Posts
It's the snow, we need to make a popup window that says that automatically.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To add to that, my heating fan wouldn't even turn last night during the whole commute home. It finally began spinning as I pulled into the driveway; must've been the condensation... Plus, the windows are icing over from the inside once again. Does anyone else's car seem to want to be amphibious?

-snowcat

·
Premium Member
19,094 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak. Thant usually doesn't happen unless you have a pretty good amount of water in the car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
snowcat said:
Howdy; we've received 15" of snow in the past week and not all the streets were plowed on time around here. Anyway, I was going down the freeway this afternoon and at about 50mph the car started to shake. I mean really shake. I'd say steering wheel was vibrating up and down and moving about 1/2 an inch. It shook a little bit the other night, but nothing like this afternoon.

If I have snow in the wheels, would that throw the balance off enough to make the car shake that much? It was shaking so bad I thought that my tranny was just gonna fall right out of my car or something... :eek:

-snowcat
Im having the same problem... This started to happen after we had a huge snow fall... I cleared the wheel wells from snow but it still shakes hard when going 90 KM or faster....

Where do i gotta clear the snow from ???

·
Registered
132 Posts
heh my rs was doing the same thing.. we had 13 or so inches and you can't really clear the wheels without it coming back a few minutes later...

i was going to ask but never thought of it, good to know someone asked and took all the heat for re-asking :p

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
wrxhunter said:
Im having the same problem... This started to happen after we had a huge snow fall... I cleared the wheel wells from snow but it still shakes hard when going 90 KM or faster....

Where do i gotta clear the snow from ???
You have to clean your WHEELS!!!!! NOT tires nor the wheel wells, THE WHEELS (between spokes and behind them, the whole inside of the wheel). Tires can stay dirty since they'll throw out snow anyways once you hit the wet or dry road.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,975 Posts
Snow in the wheel spokes is teh suxor. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
hellafastWRX said:
I got the same thing earlier this week during a snowstorm (first time driving the wrx through snow). when it got a little warmer and the ice melted it went away.
thanks guys gonna hope for some warm weather and ill clean those mofos good ..!

Merry Xmas :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I want 17" steel wheels for my car.. lol. I finally cleaned the wheels so I can go faster than 50 MPH on the highway now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts