ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have KYB-GR2's on my 2007 wrx right now. I'm looking to buy RCE blacks for autocross. I searched through numerous threads, all talking about ride comfort and such. I didn't buy my car for ride comfort.

Basically I need to know two things.

1. Will my struts last.
2. If they will, does my car's performance suffer from it.

Thank You.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Sounds like you already know the answers...

Struts aren't designed for shorter springs. They'll consequently wear faster. The harder you drive the car the sooner they'll wear out. Nobody can tell you how long that will be. They won't perform as well as struts designed for shorter springs.

But you already know all that right?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you already know the answers...

Struts aren't designed for shorter springs. They'll consequently wear faster. The harder you drive the car the sooner they'll wear out. Nobody can tell you how long that will be. They won't perform as well as struts designed for shorter springs.

But you already know all that right?
Well it depends. I have some info, none were conclusive enough for me to settle with a deal. Ultimately, I guess i was searching for someone who actually ran the setup. I just wanted more insight on the matter. What I wasn't looking for is your incredibly denigrating post. Sorry if you had a bad day, but i believe this is the wrong thread to look for some sympathy. You do however have my empathy. Tomorrow will be a better day sir.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I would do the AGX (adjustable gas) from KYB... because the GR2 is basically a slightly stiffer oem style strut.

If I had my druthers though, I'd like to see you get Tokico D-Specs, and use 02-03 tophats on the rear. They would be much better suited for your choice of spring. Then again, I'm not 100% on whether or not the RCE blacks would work with the 02-03 rears. So you might just have to use scooby spacers, which is very common as well.

( http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_486_498_513&products_id=234 ) You put them in as a washer between the strut and the tophat. It's definitely cheaper than the 02-03 top hats, but If I were upgrading all that stuff, I'd do group N tophats anyways.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
If you haven't bought the RCE Blacks yet... TiC has a cool package deal with the tokicos and spacers:

TiC Tok suspension package

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just staring at those. GR-2's were put in after my car crash so it's not much of a money sink if i replace them. It'll just be another month of pushing the med cart around *whistle

thanks for reply

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"GR-2's are not stiff enough to be a proper match for either of the RCE springs. I'd go with the KYB AGX or the Tokico D-Spec."

--Dan
Mach V

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am not sure if this will help you but I got the Eibach springs, they only lower the car slightly not like the RCE blacks. But I did install the d specs and I am so glad I did. I didnt know how much the strut choice mattered until I did some research. If you are going to autocross I would go with the better struts but you said you just got the GR2s. Maybe wait till those wear out and then go to the d specs. You will be very pleased with the results.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
deepseastetson said:
I am not sure if this will help you but I got the Eibach springs, they only lower the car slightly not like the RCE blacks.
FYI:
Eibach drops ~1.2" F/R
RCE Blacks 15mm/10mm
RCE Yellows 23mm/20mm

;)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
deepseastetson said:
Oh, i must have got the blacks confused with the yellows. for some reason i thought the blacks were the ones that slam the car to the ground and ride like crapola.
23mm < 1" ;)

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
23mm < 1" ;)
These # are all drop vs. an STi stock in the past. I doubt that has changed but could be wrong. They are significantly more for WRX. My final drop for an 03 WRX wagon on RCE blacks: 1.25"/1.0" F/R

iv been running stock struts with rce yellows for the past 20k with no ill side effects...yet.
Even if they haven't blown, the springs are not damped correctly.

I would do the AGX (adjustable gas) from KYB... because the GR2 is basically a slightly stiffer oem style strut.

If I had my druthers though, I'd like to see you get Tokico D-Specs, and use 02-03 tophats on the rear. They would be much better suited for your choice of spring. Then again, I'm not 100% on whether or not the RCE blacks would work with the 02-03 rears. So you might just have to use scooby spacers, which is very common as well.

( Scooby921 Strut Spacers ) You put them in as a washer between the strut and the tophat. It's definitely cheaper than the 02-03 top hats, but If I were upgrading all that stuff, I'd do group N tophats anyways.

You have to run the 04+ tophats for those springs. If you get 04+ struts, no need for the spacer. If you get 02-03 you need them.

I have a set I'll give to anyone as I was confused before (04 inserts in 03 struts with 04 tophats and RCE blacks lol)....

From your link:

"Accessories:

If you are getting any of the spring options listed above then you will need 04+ rear tophats. We have Group N front and rear mounts available to add to your package."

EDIT: Also, OP, contact Kronos. I know that you can get the parts for that kit separately for less than TIC (as much as I hate to say it because they have been a great resource to the community).

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
mycologist said:
These # are all drop vs. an STi stock in the past. I doubt that has changed but could be wrong. They are significantly more for WRX. My final drop for an 03 WRX wagon on RCE blacks: 1.25"/1.0" F/R
Interesting. I wouldn't have expected the WRXs to have a much larger drop than the STI; if anything, maybe less...

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Interesting. I wouldn't have expected the WRXs to have a much larger drop than the STI; if anything, maybe less...
For the old cars, basically add 1cm, that being the distance a set of take-off pinks would drop a WRX.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey guys I decided to drop my money into d-specs and rce yellows. I'll have a timelapse of the install later

The D-specs

Before shot

Rears are in

Quick after shot.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:) the time lapse made by my buddy. Now off to catch the sunset and snap some photos. Test and tune tomorrow with the Porche club of america for some autocross runs then striaght to work and pull off a double. Savee for some r-comps and new wheels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts