ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Struts but the part #'s match up to A 93-99 Subaru Impreza 4WD. The guy said they was on his WRX so I guess they fit but does anyone think it would hurt anything?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to figure out which settings to put them on. The site says that both have four settings. but on these the rear has 8 and the fronts have four.

·
Registered
542 Posts
That's because they're the WRONG struts for your car. Take it from someone who has tried this experiment and moved on... Get the right struts. Yes, you can match the damping to your springs, but you have to work much harder to find a spring combination that will meet your ride height goals because you have to factor in the 1/2"-3/4" difference in spring perch height.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
supermarkus said:
That's because they're the WRONG struts for your car. Take it from someone who has tried this experiment and moved on... Get the right struts. Yes, you can match the damping to your springs, but you have to work much harder to find a spring combination that will meet your ride height goals because you have to factor in the 1/2"-3/4" difference in spring perch height.
I mean that on the listing the struts that I DO have say that they are 4way adjustable but they have a knob on them that goes to 8.

·
Registered
542 Posts
And I'm saying, if you have 8 way adjustable rear struts, you have the wrong part. I'm speaking from experience. The WRX specific part is ONLY 4 way adjustable. Also, if you use the GC8 struts, you lose the brake line mounting brackets. They simply don't work with WRX brake lines, you'll have to zip tie them. See my web page for pictures.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Sh*t I bought them slightly used off of here so I cant just send them back. He had them on a WRX so if the only thing I have to worry about is the brake line, then I guess I'll deal with it. Man thats going to make those STi stainless steel brake lines look ****ty too.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
adam3482p said:
Well Sh*t I bought them slightly used off of here so I cant just send them back. He had them on a WRX so if the only thing I have to worry about is the brake line, then I guess I'll deal with it. Man thats going to make those STi stainless steel brake lines look ****ty too.
no, read my first post again...

SonicYellowWRX said:
you get .75" less travel in the rear and softer than stock ride on lowest setting (might damage the struts this way due to the extra weight).

other than that, they fit and work... just not ideally.
suspension travel isn't just important for rally, its quite important for any road that is less than perfectly flat... and someone also mentioned that the height difference of the GC struts will cause weird lowering since the WRX springs are designed for WRX struts. note the lack of travel in the rear in my avatar pic and i was missing some height as well with the springs i chose due to the difference in strut height.

lots of issues... damping was off to where I could never get the right setting and forget about a decent ride. if you are installing them yourself and don't find the labor too much work to do over and over again, then go for it... otherwise, you should just get the right struts. i hated mine so much cuz of the ride, i decided to jump the hell outta them (refer to the avatar) and a few weeks later i finally bent and blew em out after a dozen or so more jumps. (believe it or not, thats weak even compared to stock struts.)

·
Registered
542 Posts
I wasn't happy with the ride either. Since rebound and compression were adjusted at the same time, it made for an incredibly harsh ride. When I finally settled on a rebound setting I liked, the compression at that setting was too high, it made expansion joints feel like I was jumping curbs.

Also, I never found springs that would set my ride height the way I wanted, though I didn't try ground controls.

I found the V7 STi struts more to my liking in terms of overall ride so I ditched my frankenstein setup. I suggest you do the same and save yourself some grief. Get the right parts for the job.

·
Registered
114 Posts
they have the same dimensions as stock KYBs. there is no loss in suspension travel, I never bottomed them out, i did cur the first bump off the bumpstop and still never bottomed out, never experienced a worse than stock ride with the struts damping settings on 1 in the front and 2 in the rear. I ran them on my 02 wagon, and I frien of mine has more than 10K miles on his and they still provide an awesome ride and kick a55 handling when the front is on 4 adn the rear on 8.

I have driven WRXs with Jic coilovers, HKS coilovers, Tein coilovers, and this was the best overall compromise for street/track/mountain driving you can get.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The last time I measured the difference between the rear GD STi strut and GC8 specific AGX strut spring perch placement, I noted a 3/8" difference measured at the bottom of the spring perch. GC struts being the lower of the pair. Perhaps the wagon fitment is different, but in a sedan there most definitely IS a difference in spring perch height. I didn't carefully measure the perch cups though, they may also differ slightly. I definitely had a ~1/2" less ride height compared to other people running just Pro Kit springs and stock struts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
there is no difference in the struts from wagon to sedan. there isn't a part number for wagons.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Yeah, I used Ground Control's and those made the experience even worse with noise, although it did allow for some height adjustment.

The car definitely handled great paired with 250/200 lbs springs with no body roll or anything... but when i hit a bump mid turn the rear end would result in a massive jolt and that would upset things. When rallying, I would constantly bottom out in the rear as well. The lack of travel was bad in those instances as well as being bouncy for daily driving. Set on 1, its VERY soft but that is because it was softer than stock as it was meant for a lighter car.

Its nothing against KYB, but the problem is with using a suspension for another vehicle.

I'm running STi V8 takeoffs and its nice to have full suspension travel again... the handling is better despite more body roll because of the correct amount of travel in the rear and the ride is definitely better. I thought about KYB's for the WRX, but these were easier as they came fully assembled... and 40mm inverted struts seem to be stronger than the KYB's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts