ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm getting ready to replace my shocks, and was doing some research on shocks. So far this is what I've come up with

1) keeping the stock springs because I don't want to lowe my car AT ALL!!! Its set up for rally-x and I want all the ground clearance I can get - I also don't want to worry about hitting curbs, dips, etc.

2) NO DROP

3) want to keep the price relatively low

4) installing myself

5) some adjustability would be nice

6) NO DROP

so...that being said I've found 2 candidates. KYB AGX shocks (available on Ebay for about $450 shipped) and Koni Sport (also available on Ebay for about $550 shipped)

so...are the Koni's worth an extra $100? I have a wagon so adjusting the KYB rears won't be a problem for me. It looks like the Koni's adjust on the tube somewhere...is the location pretty accessible?

Also - it says the Koni's are "inserts" and I have to reuse my OE strut housing...how hard is this. I haven't seen any instructions on how to do this. (although the picture they have looks like its a complete strut).

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
ive had my KYBs for a little over a week and i dig em. easy enough to adjust and good since you dont want to go lower. only gripe is rear adjust is behind seat, but you dont have to worry about that!!!

also got them from ebay about 430$ shipped.

great deal i thought.

sont know anything about the koni except more expensive.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the install instructions, looks pretty relatively easy, but the instructions were for an RS...on the WRX there's no need to disconnect the brake lines or cut anything right?

I've also heard that there's a missing brake line clip on one shock....but this also seemed to come from the older RS camp.

Did you get a spring compressor or were you able to get on without it?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Personally, I'd look into STi v7 takeoffs. No drop, much stronger than KYB (which is just a revalved stock strut) and Subaru/STi engineering/reliability. I've seen them for ~$550-650 on the boards.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
i love my AGX's. i'm working through some creaky strut tops, but performance wise, they kick arse.

i'm not a fan of tearing apart stock stuff and hybrid-ing parts.

i don't understand why koni does'nt cut the crap and make a replacement strut. it's stupid.

dR

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
to set the record straight...

bone138 said:
Personally, I'd look into STi v7 takeoffs. No drop, much stronger than KYB (which is just a revalved stock strut) and Subaru/STi engineering/reliability. I've seen them for ~$550-650 on the boards.
you realize that the STi struts and the OE WRX struts are made by KYB, right?

the agx's ARE NOT just "revalved stock struts" and they are 4 way damper and rebound adjustable.

expect to pay closer to $800 for low mileage (>5K) take offs.

dR

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
yeah the STis have way bigger pistons..very true. if you can afford go that route...

as for the KYBs they arent missing the clips and you dont have to do any cutting.

they go in and out no sweat. full stock replacements.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sound like I'm going with the KYB's. even if they don't last as long as as the V7's I can probably buy TWO sets for the price of one set of V7's...and when someone says thay only have 5K miles on them....yeah right.

so...spring compressor necessary or not?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have the koni inserts on my wagon (with GC coilovers). The cutting of the strut was scary, but with the right tools, not too difficult. Just takes time, patience, and an angle grinder!

The adjustabilty is great as I auto-x a lot and can set them full stiff and then set them back to a liveable level for the street. The only think I don't like about the adjustability is the way you are just turning a knob one way or another. There are no markings or clicks, so it makes it difficult to set every wheel the same except at full stiff or full soft.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: to set the record straight...

dark_rex said:
you realize that the STi struts and the OE WRX struts are made by KYB, right?

the agx's ARE NOT just "revalved stock struts" and they are 4 way damper and rebound adjustable.

expect to pay closer to $800 for low mileage (>5K) take offs.

dR
Sorry, I was sure I read that somewhere, but it was the Konis, not the KYBs. I still think the STi's are better. If you do a search on i-club and nasioc you will find several sets of v7 and v8 takeoffs for much less than $800. I was going to pay $550 shipped from a guy in TX that sells a couple sets each month. Regardless, I'm sure all the options you're considering are better than stock. I figured you'd want the beefiest struts available if you're doing rally-x.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Re: Re: to set the record straight...

bone138 said:
Sorry, I was sure I read that somewhere, but it was the Konis, not the KYBs. I still think the STi's are better. If you do a search on i-club and nasioc you will find several sets of v7 and v8 takeoffs for much less than $800. I was going to pay $550 shipped from a guy in TX that sells a couple sets each month. Regardless, I'm sure all the options you're considering are better than stock. I figured you'd want the beefiest struts available if you're doing rally-x.
the STi's are a much beefier piston, and the later designs are inverted (7 and 8, not sure about before) which offers superior damper and rebound.

only negative is the non-adjustability.

dR

·
Registered
218 Posts
blarg said:
sound like I'm going with the KYB's. even if they don't last as long as as the V7's I can probably buy TWO sets for the price of one set of V7's...and when someone says thay only have 5K miles on them....yeah right.

so...spring compressor necessary or not?
You will need compressor to take off the stock springs. Seeing as you are sticking with the stock springs you will have to use a compressor. Go to Autozone and rent a set then return them it you'll get your money back so essentially its free.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that site is AWESOME...THANKS!!!

so V7 and V8 STi shocks are actually built like coilovers? can I use them with my springs? they have a lot of spec C stuff that says they lower about .75" can I put my springs on and keep the same height?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just bought V7 S202 Takeoff's, with 3000 miles, for 700 shipped. The guys are good to work with.

I will let you know how they are when I get them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts