Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying one set of tires the near future. My choices are Falken Azenis, Kumho 711, and Kumho 712. These tires will be mounted on new 17 inch wheels.

My driving style is 95% a daily driver. I rarely race. I may try out a autocross in the near future, but I doubt I will get heavily involved in autox due to my work schedule.

Anyways, basically I am driving back and forth around town. Will any of these three tires show substantial differences in performance, grip, safety, and durablity compared with the RE92s?

I just need alittle input here. I love the Azenis tread design, but looks like I can save 100 bucks if I go with the 712, and 200 bucks if I go with the 711.

Thanks

·
895 Posts
Azenis are better autox tires, however, with the 712's you'll get much better traction in the wet - so if this is your daily driver, then i might consider the kumho's first, cause they're better all around tires.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Just be warned Kumhos 712, while very sticky, have notoriously bad treadwear. Average tire life is between 12k and 15k miles.

The Falkens last a little longer, and imagine that block tread is a little noisy on the highway.

-Jim

·
895 Posts
i dun really care about the kumho's treadwear -

i mean, i only have 8k miles on my car and already the re92's are balding!!! at least the fronts are....

hm...should rotate tires

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Penguinking said:
i dun really care about the kumho's treadwear -

i mean, i only have 8k miles on my car and already the re92's are balding!!! at least the fronts are....

hm...should rotate tires
Yeah, you have to rotate the tires a lot (every oil change) on the WRX to get any kind of tread wear. Good point.

-Jim

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the tire's sidewall text, the Azenis have a treadwear rating of 200, while the Kumhos have a treadwear rating of 280. I still really like the design of the Azenis though.....

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have a set of 215/45/17 Kumho Ecsta 712s I use almost exclusively for autocrossing. I was going to use them as summer tires but I found the ride in 17 inch wheels here in NYC to be too jarring, especially on road construction.

They definitely stick in the dry better than my 205/55/16 Dunlop SP 5000 all season tires, and they're quite good in the rain. However, I am a little disappointed in their ability to autocross. Friends who autcross with Falkens seem to have less complaints.

In the end though, you can't beat the price. $89 each at TireRack.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Kuhmo (711,12) vs Falken (Azenis) is comparing apples and oranges. The only similarity is price. The Azeni is THE tire of choice for the majority of all nationally competitve Street Touring (S,X) drivers. The dry grip is approaching R compound tires, very stiff sidewalls and VERY competitively priced.

The Kuhmo is a nice tire and may be more suited to daily driving w/ a occasional autox. It does not compare to the azenis in performance- with the probable exception of wet grip.

Unfortunately if you want a tire that performs super in both the wet and dry, the price goes up considerably- SO3, T1S, KDW, etc, but even these tires won't match the Azenis dry grip- thus the domination in the Street Touring classes.

Big Sky

·
895 Posts
simple comparison

712's: good handling, superior wet traction

Azenis: better handling at the autox b/c of block tread design, but fairs worse in the wet - worse handling at higher speeds

conclusion - i'm getting the 712's b/c i don't autox all the time and i want to be able to handle as good as i can in the wet, cause its been raining for 3 days in houston

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
WHen you guys order tires from tirerack please use this link or click through or banner because we do get commission from them and it will help us fund the website ;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
BlazinWRX said:
WHen you guys order tires from tirerack please use this link or click through or banner because we do get commission from them and it will help us fund the website ;)
Tim, I used the banner when I ordered my Yoko's!!!

$269 purchase, man!!!!

-Jim

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Sweet thanks a lot jimbo! i'm almost out of the stickers that I've been sending out for free, hopefully I will get enough funds to get some more stickers made before I run out so some people woudln't have to wait!

·
895 Posts
BlazinWRX said:
Sweet thanks a lot jimbo! i'm almost out of the stickers that I've been sending out for free, hopefully I will get enough funds to get some more stickers made before I run out so some people woudln't have to wait!
if you live in the houston area, i've got a handful of clubWRX stickers :D costed me a sh!tload but i'm givin' 'em out fo free

...long live clubWRX!

·
Registered
480 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

The Falkens last a little longer, and imagine that block tread is a little noisy on the highway.

-Jim
Yeah, that's exacty what I would have thought about the Azenis. But turns out they're not bad for noise, a little more than the stock RE92s but not irritating at all. 'Course my SPT exhaust is louder than stock so perhaps it is cancelling out the tire noise to a certain extent.

:D

Got my first track day at Thunderhill next week: I'll post how they work and hold up for tread wear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts