Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any opinions on either? I see most people have KYB. They are about 150-200$ more than the koni's. I haven't heard of anything about the koni's and have heard mixed things about the KYB.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
The biggest difference is that the Konis are only rebound adjustable while w/ the KYBs you adjust rebound and compression with one knob.

So adjusting the KYBs will have a bigger effect on chassis balance and ride, but the Konis can be tuned finer to different springs. W/ the KYBs you get more rebound AND more compression damping when stiffening them. So if you put on a stiffer spring you'll need more rebound damping but the associated increase in compression damping may be the opposite of what you want.

If you're looking for a strut that you can fine-tuned for all-around and leave it, you might want to go for the Konis. Then get a spring with a rate that will give you the ride stiffness you desire.

If you plan on adjusting it a lot, the KYB may be the way to go. KYB would be more attractive to me if the rears were 7-way adjustable like the GC8 units. That would give you finer control over chassis balance. The Konis, on the other hand have a very wide range of infinite adjustability for rebound damping.

Chris

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I think a lot of folks choose the KYB as they are total struts, the Koni is still only available as a insert- a little extra work converterting your strut.

In the racing community, Koni has a very good reputation. In addition to the single adj insert, they make a dandy double adj (independent rebound/compression) but get your wallet out for those.

Big Sky

·
Registered
360 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
I think a lot of folks choose the KYB as they are total struts,
Thats why I chose them. I have had them for a few months, and I still love them. I dont auto x or anything though... just the back roads

·
Registered
329 Posts
First off I think that the Konis are more expensive than the KYBs. I haven't seen Konis for less than about $550. Like Big Sky said Konis are more popular for competition. They also have the advantage of finer adjustments in damping and if you're serious you can get them custom valved. I'm actually considering a Koni/Ground Control setup but at that point I have to wonder if I should just go to a "real" coilover setup.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i have skunk2 coilovers with koni yellow shocks

they are inserts and go into the stock housing of the struts

they ride real nice depended on the height adjustment of the coilovers

i can bounce like a honda civic with a 3 inch drop ( on stiff)
or ride like it was stock .. im happy with them ( on loose)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts