Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tinker with installing a KKK K26 on a rex? Hell, for that matter, does anybody have any pressure maps? I have a few K26's & 27's & a couple wastegates laying around from my old german car days. The 26's are water cooled & the 27's aren't. The 27's are honking HUUUGE.

Never installed either of them on an engine with less than 2.5 liters displacement, largest was 3.5.

j.p.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've looked around & haven't found a single kkk map. this is odd...

Anybody have any ideas?

j.p.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Hmmm...I've never even heard of a kkk turbo, but I'd also like to learn something about it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
KKK turbos come on the Audi and VW turbo cars from if I'm not mistaken. Last a long time, but don't take well to higher boost pressures (above 18psi) as I recall. Maybe it was a small one, but a friend of mine converted one of his VW cars (corrado) from a supercharger to a KKK 03 or 04 or something (I think that's the right number, don't quote me) and it spooled INSANELY fast and he was within 2/10th of my 1/4 mile time. This thing literally spooled 200-300rpms faster than my stock turbo'd WRX, except that I've got a TXS stealthback, uppipe, pulley, and a dyno tuned Unichip from Cobb - he had a factory downpipe off of a Passat with a cat in it and something like 2" or 2.25" exhaust. So it's safe to say those turbos spool faster than even the stock TD04 we have, and considering he has FWD and is still within 2/10ths of my car in the quarter (and has me by 2.5 mph in his trap speed) it's a good bet that this turbo makes more power than the TD04. Makes me wonder if KKK makes any larger ones.....:confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KKK's were oe on porsche 911, 924, & 944 turbos. The K27 could easily acheive 400+ hp on a 3.3 liter 911. I think they were installed on Audi quattro coupe gt's too.. can't remember.

j.p.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweet. a buddy in nevada faxed me a few compressor maps. Now to figure out how to post them here.. I dont have a scanner :/ they look sweet tho. laggy but sooper sweet in the case of the k27.

j.p.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here in Brazil there are TONS and TONS of VW Golf GTI and Audi A3(small hatch from AUDI that you dont have at USA,Go to the AUDI european or Brazilian page and take a llok at the A3..)
www.audi.com.br
They come with KKK04 turbos,,They spool very very fast,,they are very agile and good cars,,but they dont have a good top end.
I think their top end cant be compared to our Stock turbo cause our TD04 is much bigger and much better turbo.
Those cars here have 180HP stock and they have about 11 or 10PSI stock.
I dont know if its because the turbo KKK04 is ineficiency above this PSI number or if its because they are tuned in the safe side..
I think its because the turbo is too small..
When they make chips for them here the boost can only go up to 13PSI Maximum(dont ask me why cause i dont know),,but i think its cause of little turbo.
But comparing the WRX to those cars in spoolup is ridiculous,,they look like Non turbo cars,,,they dont have lag!!!
Some of those cars here have up to 400HP..but obviously those guys use Garret turbos:D
The Audi have a car here too,,that is called S3,,its a 225 HP A3.
0 to 60 MPH in 6.6 seconds,AWD,6 Speed gearbox,Recaro Seats.
Like the S4,S6,,all from the same family..
I wanted to know the Turbo this S3 uses,,the engine is the same as the TT with 225 HP..
Who knows the engine of the TT with 225HP??is it 4 cylinders??6 cylinders??
Maybe the S3 and TT turbo is a bigger KKK one..
Anyone knows the TT turbo?
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
559 Posts
balkamp said:
sweet. a buddy in nevada faxed me a few compressor maps. Now to figure out how to post them here.. I dont have a scanner :/ they look sweet tho. laggy but sooper sweet in the case of the k27.

j.p.
Ah,,and forgot to tell you that i have some compressor maps for the KKK04 turbo..
Just let me know if you want them.
I talked to a friend who makes chips for Audis ,VW,Mercedes,BMW,,and he said he have the map for the KKK04.
Tuca

·
Registered
3 Posts
just wanted to clear up some of the misinformation about KKK turbo's found on vw and audis. Borg-Warner makes teh KKK series turbo. I dont know about porsche or older audis, but newer vw/audis with the 1.8t engine have the following turbos

pre 2001.5 1.8t(a4/jetta/gti/passat/nb)- KKK k03, size of your fist, peak boost around 2700rpm

2001.5+ 1.8t(same cars as above) KKK k03/k04 hybrid, half k03 and half k04(larger), same peak boost spoolup time, but better top end and ability to hold more boost

(225TT/s3) KKK k04, slightly longer spoolup time, decent top end, can hold more boost then k03 and hybrid.

These are excellent turbos. They have real fast spoolup time, very durable and take a lotta abuse, and can hold a decent amount of boost. Lots of people are spiking 22psi, holding 18-20psi to 5000rpm, then settling at 12-13psi at redline with a k03 hybrid, only mod being a chip.

The KKK k03 turbo on a 1.8t makes around 205 hp with just a chip and about 240 ft-lbs of torque. The hybrid k03/k04, or as most people call it k03s(for sport) makes around 215 hp with 250 ft-lbs torque with a chip. A common swap is putting a k04 on a jetta/gti since they didnt come with one, the result is around +20hp and +40 ft-lbs of torque , however note this is not the same k04 turbo as found on the TT and other factory eqipped cars. I believe a chipped TT makes around 260hp and 290 ft-lbs torque after being chipped.

Overall, these turbos are tiny. Take a look on vwvortex 1.8t forums one day and look for pics, theyre are serioussly the size of an adults fist. With bolt ons (chip, intake, tb exhaust, MBC, etc), you can squeese a little more than 235hp or 200whp out of these cars. Most popular turbo swap is the APR stage III, and it uses a Garret gt25 turbo and puts out about 270whp with around 300ft-lbs torque on pump gas, race gas usually nets 30-40more hp :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
na, the k04 is only found on the 225hp TT's (dual tailpipes, bigger pricetag) and in europe the s3. I believe audi's 2.7T bi-turbo engine uses a pair of k04s, like in the s4 and a6, but im not 100%. They really do run outa steam top end, i notice a huge drop-off in power above like 4500-5k rpm, granted a turboback exhaust would help out, but still you are not seeing the top end with a k03 or k04 that you guys do. Thats the trade off in having a turbo with almost no lag, and necksnappign low end torque.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is it just me, or does the term KKK and applications on German cars seem a bit eerie? Oh, I just read that there will be an RS3 with 350hp when it is redesigned. Who knows if it will make it to the states or not. From what you all are saying, they will obviously have to upgrade to different turbos. Anybody know what is used on the RS4?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Powerwagon said:
Is it just me, or does the term KKK and applications on German cars seem a bit eerie? Oh, I just read that there will be an RS3 with 350hp when it is redesigned. Who knows if it will make it to the states or not. From what you all are saying, they will obviously have to upgrade to different turbos. Anybody know what is used on the RS4?

the K04 is also used in the European RS4.

a guy in Houston put them on his Audi S4.

http://www.imolas4.com/default.htm

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
William -- is that the same car that was on the "Houston Racing Scene" video on RacinFlix.com?

·
Registered
104 Posts
WRXin' said:
William -- is that the same car that was on the "Houston Racing Scene" video on RacinFlix.com?
prolly the same car, its Zerin Dube's car. he ran it in the Gumball 3000 race NY to LA in 2002. he sold it to some guy in Cali.

you can see some of his car on Mischief 3000 dvd video.

later
William

1 - 19 of 19 Posts