ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading some threads over on nasioc about stage 1 and it appears that some people have had cylinder 4 BLOW UP on them. It seems as this was also, only happening in CA. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I know on my 03 silverado everyone got this thing called a predator by granetelli motorsports, and EVERYONE ordered one, then a few months role around and it starts frying everyones ecus costing them like 500$ a pop and the company wouldn't eat the ECU charge, so I guess I am always a little hesitant with EM. Any reason I should be worried?
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
ero2 said:
I was just reading some threads over on nasioc about stage 1 and it appears that some people have had cylinder 4 BLOW UP on them. It seems as this was also, only happening in CA. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I know on my 03 silverado everyone got this thing called a predator by granetelli motorsports, and EVERYONE ordered one, then a few months role around and it starts frying everyones ecus costing them like 500$ a pop and the company wouldn't eat the ECU charge, so I guess I am always a little hesitant with EM. Any reason I should be worried?
What do you guys think?
From what I have read about it, It was Cali. gas being the prob.

Shotgun

·
Registered
956 Posts
cobb is in cali though right?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Why wouldn't this problem be evident before the AccessPort, since Cobb was already reflashing chips sent to them? Probably just a coincidence and people are seeing connections that may not exist.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
i wouldnt really sweat it man. i think it was a pretty isolated thing. check the cobb forums for more precise info. things tend to get exaggerated or theorized a bit too much at some other places...

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I've been running various stages of Cobb reflash for nearly a year, now. No problems to report. People are quick to blame others when they tear up their cars.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I've been running Cobb Stage 2 in So. Cal for 25,000 miles including much track and auto-x without any issues. Who know's what the problem was with that engine that blew up - it may have blown up anyway. Was he racing while set on the economy map? Other mods like CAI? Too many variations to just blame the Accessport. You could probably say that less engines blow up running the accessport than they do stock, but you just don't hear about them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Read the entire thread on Nasioc. It seems that the guy melted his #4 piston. If you keep reading, he talks about how he was in an accident and had some head work done. He also states that he had a bad tank of gas. So far after researching some, I've come across only a couple instances which lead to engine failure. This is not enough to point fingers at Cobb.

·
48,699 Posts
Cobb is VERY conservative in their tuning. If you're (the original poster) going to be scared of the AP, then you also need to be scared of Ecutek, UTEC, etc...

If you hop up an engine, you are definitely pushing it closer to its limits. It's just something you accept when you get into this hobby. If it's not something you want to worry about, stay OEM. I'm counting on Subaru's solid engine design.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you you are getting engine management (Ecutec, UTEC, AP, etc.), you should get gauges so that you can see what your engine is doing. At a minimum, I would think that you should get a boost gauge, an EGT gauge (or preferably an air/fuel ratio meter), and a knock detector.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BlkWRXWag said:
I've been running Cobb Stage 2 in So. Cal for 25,000 miles including much track and auto-x without any issues. Who know's what the problem was with that engine that blew up - it may have blown up anyway. Was he racing while set on the economy map? Other mods like CAI? Too many variations to just blame the Accessport. You could probably say that less engines blow up running the accessport than they do stock, but you just don't hear about them.
yeah, it seems like a lot of people seem to FORGET they have there car in economy mode and floor it around everywhere trying to get power and end up frying stuff, you guys are right, AP it is, thanks for all the help. I know I shouldn't be worried, it just kind of tripped me out to see that melted piston :eek:

·
Registered
174 Posts
beating a dead horse

stage 1 accessport. 04 wrx wagon. california. LA.

no pinging. no blown engines. just better throttle reponse and a happier right foot.

gas mileage most likely affected by that damn right foot. in all stop and go city traffic (los angeles) i can get up to 19 mpg. most of the time i get 17mpg. but at least it hasn't blown up. or idled weird. or pinged. or caused the interior fabric to wear. or anything else people have tried to blame the accessport for.

haven't dynoed the car either so i guess i could be imagining the improvements. :eek3: :tongue:

·
48,699 Posts
My comments on conservative really are more focused on the Stage 2 and up crowd, where hardware's been changed on the car, and Cobb's trying to tune for everybody's hardware. With my VF34 flash, I'm pretty certain that I'm running pig rich.

With Stage 1, the whole point is that the factory left some "tune-ability" (is that a word) in the car for safety, and Cobb optimizes it another step. I'm thinking that a Stage 1 car runs somewhat leaner than stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
vcarbs said:
After pulling the plugs on a stage 1 car, I don't really feel that the map is conservative. Plugs looked pretty lean, I wouldn't want it to be any leaner.
Do you think it was running too lean or just leaner than stock???

·
Registered
419 Posts
AchmedRodriguez said:
Do you think it was running too lean or just leaner than stock???
You'll never know without a wideband O2 meter. I don't understand how people can modify their engines without gauges to see what is going on. I'm not slamming Cobb, IMHO, you need gauges to see what is going on with any type of engine management.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've been running AccessECU since a couple weeks after it was released. Trey Cobb flashed my stock '03 himself with Stage 1. :) I later upgraded to Stage 2 before the AccessPorts were available, then when I got mine, I flashed it myself to a new map version. I have had zero problems with the Cobb stuff, it runs great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts