ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife has a 2008 WRX with the 2.5 turbo. I've never owned or worked on a Subaru or any forced induction engine. The car threw the p0021 code and also had a rusty/broken up pipe, so I removed exhaust manifolds, cross pipe, up pipe, Turbo, downpipe, and Bandjo Bolt. I replaced the banjo bolt, up pipe, all gaskets, bolts and nuts, for the exhaust and turbo all the way to the downpipe. The up pipe had been bad for a while (since we met) and it wasn't creating as much boost.

Once I got it all together the car ran great. Much more power than it had previously. I cleared the code and drove it to work that day. about 15 miles and two good pulls into my drive the turbo started making noise, rattling sound, and I lost boost. I limped it home and started it the next day and it smoked really heavy when it started and pretty bad while running. When I shut it off you can hear the turbo spin for a couple seconds and sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

I'm gonna pickup another turbo to swap out, but my question is with 222,000 km (around 140,000 miles) and the car in pretty good shape other than that, is there something that could have caused the turbo to grenade or was it just time? I don't wanna throw another turbo in and it does the same thing.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,995 Posts
It's never time.

The turbo is not an expendable part.

Did you make sure you had both oil and water going to the turbo?

I like to pre-oil a turbo before installing it so it never dry spins. Find the oil input and add oil and spin by hand until it spits oil out the other nipple.

It's possible you starved it of something. Make sure you've done the above and have cleaned all the lines.

It's also possible you have a leak somewhere and what you are hearing is, well, hot air. Check for up pipe leak and check for air leaks -- maybe your turbo is OK after all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's never time.

The turbo is not an expendable part.

Did you make sure you had both oil and water going to the turbo?

I like to pre-oil a turbo before installing it so it never dry spins. Find the oil input and add oil and spin by hand until it spits oil out the other nipple.

It's possible you starved it of something. Make sure you've done the above and have cleaned all the lines.

It's also possible you have a leak somewhere and what you are hearing is, well, hot air. Check for up pipe leak and check for air leaks -- maybe your turbo is OK after all.
Yea I feel like It shouldn't be a part that just fails like this one did. Side note, This is her second turbo in that car. First one was around 70k miles and now again at 140k. When I had it off I checked the "play" in the turbine and it had some "wiggle". I figured a little movement was ok and what I could find online a small amount of "play" is ok? It spun freely and quiet. It is getting oil and water. Fresh oil change after the exhaust work and I installed new radiator hoses, and a new reservoir tank and water hoses to the Turbo. I'm not sure if the oil is flowing appropriately though.

I'm gonna pull the turbo off today and see what I can figure out. Is smoking like willie Nelson concert while its running, so I'm not too optimistic.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,995 Posts
Two turbos is extraordinary. Something may be wrong with fluid supply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts