Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the Kill-switch type key that comes w/ an STI? is it functional in any special way? and what does a kill switch do? Thanks in advance for all replies.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It is just a piece of plastic, nothing moves on it at all. You can get them and use them in a rex too.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Its not just plastic its metal too. They just shaped the key like the kill switch in the wrc cars, doesnt do anything special except for turn the car off every time you bump it:mad:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sti_749 said:

Not only plastic... the upper metallic part is Titanium ... pretty cool huh... :wiggles:

It's not titanium, haha. It is plastic...

·
Registered
279 Posts
My key is a little different from the one in the picture. Mine was cut from the factory to fit the locks. I'm not about to have it spark analyzed for the exact alloy, but the top part is definitely metal. Not plastic. After bouncing around in my pocket for the last 7 months it can't be Al. No scratches to speak of. Could be SS, but it's too light. Ti probably. The color is right. My first job out of school was at a Ti foundry. Worked with aerospace parts and our unofficial motto was "Close enough for government work"...

Very :cool:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sti_749 said:
Definitely not plastic.. you can't scratch it with your nail ... Heavy enough to be some kinda metal ... :tongue:
Ok, took it out of my pocket and bit it. Teeth tell me it is a metal for sure. The blue part is plastic, but I don't think the silver part is titanium. Why would they use a metal like titanium in a key? Doesn't make sense to me.

It smells like old pennies...

...tastes like them too.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Twentyfive bucks for that key blank in the aftermarket...

Why would they use silver?

I got a 1964 quarter the other day and the pure silver won't work in the vending machines...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yea, Thats what I have for my WRX. I scratched most of the blue away from the grey though...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd lay money down that the end is titanium. I'm not going to do this to mine, but if anyone is really curious...take a high speed grinder and nick a corner of the key. If it throws a white spark, its titanium. Aluminum will not throw a spark. Judging by the wear on my key from several months of use, the metal in the end it too hard to be aluminum.

·
Registered
82 Posts
it looks to be three components:

the top part with the STi logo is metal, perhaps Ti with a very good finish.

the tumbler section actually seems to be different than the metal of the top piece.

the blue part is plastic of course and looks to be co-injection molded to the logo and tumbler pieces. in fact it may be assembled in the mold through the molding of the plastic.

for comparison is my 10 year old Ti 300ZX key ($80.00). it's of a different finish of course, but it looks exactly like the proper color of most Ti components i've come across.

the metal top piece of the STi key is much nicer so i'm not sure if it's Ti or if you can get such a good finish on Ti and have it stay nice.

one things for sure - it's a cool key!

:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
TRM said:
it looks to be three components:

the top part with the STi logo is metal, perhaps Ti with a very good finish.

the tumbler section actually seems to be different than the metal of the top piece.

the blue part is plastic of course and looks to be co-injection molded to the logo and tumbler pieces. in fact it may be assembled in the mold through the molding of the plastic.

for comparison is my 10 year old Ti 300ZX key ($80.00). it's of a different finish of course, but it looks exactly like the proper color of most Ti components i've come across.

the metal top piece of the STi key is much nicer so i'm not sure if it's Ti or if you can get such a good finish on Ti and have it stay nice.

one things for sure - it's a cool key!

:D
What about the weight of the STi key versus the ZX key?? For being Ti, it seems a little heavy... The Oakley titanium sunglasses are very light for that matters...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sti_749 said:
What about the weight of the STi key versus the ZX key?? For being Ti, it seems a little heavy... The Oakley titanium sunglasses are very light for that matters...
good point. my post is speculation regarding materials of course.

i guess someone would have to buy a blank and tear it apart to really find out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts