Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
From Aus, but hoping this you guys get the same kicker speaker upgrade package as we do. Just wondering if any new 2015 owners have the optional kicker speaker pack and if it is worth the upgrade in terms of quality of the standard H/K speaker system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think they do. I was looking at it today but I bought the premium with the HK system. I'd say the kicker system is for the base model. It would be a good investment if you bought the base. (I'm in Sydney).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Kicker Speaker Upgrade Package in my 2015. I have the base model and it sounds a lot better than the stock system. I would get it again.

·
Registered
2021 White Base WRX.
27 Posts
So I know the original post is from 2014, but last forum I was on, there a lot of mods that hated when a post was easily searchable so I try!
I just installed the kicker door speakers today and I am NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!!! There is no bass! Stock almost seemed better to be honest. Not sure if anyone can chime in that has the kicker sub, but I gotta do something here. Not sure an after market inline amp is worth all the work or biting the bullet on the sub. Any feedback on this???

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's not the first time I've heard that about the kicker speakers. I'm not sure why but maybe it has to do with them not being intended for lows. The stock speakers may be made more for lows. When I bought my 2018 it had the OEM style amp upgrade or w/e its called so I can't comment of actual stock sound but the lows are much better than I'd expect. Then I put in an android HU and it sounds even better now. More crisp than the stock HU.

·
Registered
2021 White Base WRX.
27 Posts
That's not the first time I've heard that about the kicker speakers. I'm not sure why but maybe it has to do with them not being intended for lows. The stock speakers may be made more for lows. When I bought my 2018 it had the OEM style amp upgrade or w/e its called so I can't comment of actual stock sound but the lows are much better than I'd expect. Then I put in an android HU and it sounds even better now. More crisp than the stock HU.
I’m finding out that everyone says it’s the stock head unit that very under powered and like you said, focused more on highs than lows. I ordered the sub and it’s back ordered for December. We’ll see how it goes. I really don’t want to replace the head unit. Big money and who knows if I keep the steering wheel controls and back-up camera…

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m finding out that everyone says it’s the stock head unit that very under powered and like you said, focused more on highs than lows. I ordered the sub and it’s back ordered for December. We’ll see how it goes. I really don’t want to replace the head unit. Big money and who knows if I keep the steering wheel controls and back-up camera…
If you get an android head unit it will retain everything except the OEM microphone and something else I think but I'm not sure what it was. Check out joying. I think they provide firmware updates too.

·
Registered
2021 White Base WRX.
27 Posts
If you get an android head unit it will retain everything except the OEM microphone and something else I think but I'm not sure what it was. Check out joying. I think they provide firmware updates too.
I currently have apple (which I’m not a fan of)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the joying unit and Can say it’s leaps and bounds better than the stock radio. CarPlay wireless and android auto is not,gotta use the usb. Yes you retain everything except for the microphone and the gps antenna. Otherwise good to go and cannot be best for the money in any way. Don’t even get me started on the gorgeous screen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got the most recent version and I believe it supports wireless car play and android auto. Its android 10 so maybe that's why but yeah the screen is insane nice.

·
Registered
2021 White Base WRX.
27 Posts
I have the joying unit and Can say it’s leaps and bounds better than the stock radio. CarPlay wireless and android auto is not,gotta use the usb. Yes you retain everything except for the microphone and the gps antenna. Otherwise good to go and cannot be best for the money in any way. Don’t even get me started on the gorgeous screen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you happen to have a picture of it installed? I want something that looks stock. I saw one that was like a 10” screen that could be removed. Looked horrendous!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you happen to have a picture of it installed? I want something that looks stock. I saw one that was like a 10” screen that could be removed. Looked horrendous!!!
Here you go, looks factory in every way. I have since removed it however. Up for sale of you want it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 WRX LTD
20 Posts
I did the Kicker sub in the trunk, and also an inline Alpine amplifier for the front speakers. The front speakers are just the base speakers that come with a '17 WRX. Sound improved greatly. This guy does a good job showing some possibilities:

Since I used the factory sub, with built-in amp, I skipped going under the seat. Simply make yourself a wiring breakout harness, this will plugin after you plugin the factory sub harness to the back of the stereo.

It works great for the medium demand person such as myself. If you want more from your sound experience, you'll need a fancier head unit than the stock one.

I placed the Alpine inline amp up and to the left of the glove box. I used industrial double-sided sticky tape to hold it in place. (I aimed the gains down for easy(er) adjustments, not that you need to mess with them too much)

This worked for me, do your own research too, I hope it will work for others.

·
Registered
2021 White Base WRX.
27 Posts
[
I did the Kicker sub in the trunk, and also an inline Alpine amplifier for the front speakers. The front speakers are just the base speakers that come with a '17 WRX. Sound improved greatly. This guy does a good job showing some possibilities:
I’ve probably watch a days worth of that guys videos already. Pretty awesome tutorials!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts