ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was talking no nasioc about downshifting and someone told me that if i keep my foot on the clutch to long while im at a light it can hurt my throw out bearing? like what i do is instead of downshifting i put th eclutch down go into nuetral and jsut keep my foot down on the clutch and "coast" and when im at a light i keep my clutch down on the foot..............is this really bad? wouldnt it be worse if lifted of the clutch? im so confused help me

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
If you are not shifting, leave the clutch alone. Don't touch it.

Incidentally, it's confusing nomenclature but pedal out (foot off pedal)=clutch in=clutch engaged and pedal in or down (foot on pedal)=clutch out=clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i think the best thing to do is shift into neutral and get your foot off the pedal as u are waiting at the light. when the cross traffic turns yellow push in the clutch and then shift and go. sittin on the pedal all that time is going to shorten life of your bearing

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
I understand the concept, and can appreciate that fact that with the pedal in, there should be a shortening of the throw-out brng life. However, in the real world, is this detectable/measurable? After owning a LOT of manual transmission vehicels, I'd have to say that based on my experience, the answer is no. I've not had a single bearing go bad, and this includes some fairly high hp/tq performance type vehicles. I've seen them go out, but IMHO, this is more due to a learning curve associated with a manual tranny.

Another thing to consider is defensive driving, which is a must with the nimrods we face on the road these days. I keep the clutch pedal in and the tranny in first, all while maintaining enough distance between me and the car in front to be able to negotiate a quick evasive move-around in case the driver behind me is coming up to quickly. In the winter months, I can't count how many times I've avoided being rear ended by thinking ahead and using this method at a stop. Just my opinion folks...I fully support everyone's right to drive the way they see fit, as long as it doesn't impact my driving or is a safety hazard....and I hope it's vice-versa :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've often thought about this issue as well. I always felt that it is a wearable part and everytime you push the pedal a bit of clutch life is eaten away, but I have never in the 10+ years of manual driving have ever had a clutch die from this type of "wear and tear". So, I too sit at light with the clutch in and the gear in first - just in case - with that little voice in the back of my head saying "STOP WEARING OUT THE CLUTCH!" I ignore the voice though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts