Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory Short Shifter vs. Cobb Club/Kartboy

Hi, are there any opinions out there about the Cobb Club Short Shifter/bushing and Trans bracket kit or the KartBoy. Is this as good as or better than the Factory Short Shifter. I just got the go-ahead to purchase a new WRX as my new company car(I have a way Kool boss) and my initial thought was to get the factory shipper but I just saw that Cobb has one for much less. I am not opposed to doing my own installation.
Thanks in advance.
Blake in OKC
Soon to join the Club!
:) :D :)

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
not sure about the cobb but the kartboy has a much much shorter throw (40% i beleive) than the factory shortshifter, which i heard is not that much shorter than stock...i have felt the kartboy and if feels great, short and crisp...

i have the kartboy right now waiting for my bushings to arrive...

does this mean you can expense your mods??? ;) :p :cool:

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
WilliamG said:
Errr...I have the shortshift and it's AT LEAST 50% shorter throw than the standard shift.
the factory option?

sorry..i have heard that it was not that much of a difference...i stand corrected

·
433 Posts
I had the original shifter and then after a month got the upgrade. A huge difference let me tell you. :)

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
WilliamG said:
I had the original shifter and then after a month got the upgrade. A huge difference let me tell you. :)
when i felt the kartboy...i had to get it...

hopefully going to install it this weekend...makes spirited driving a lot more fun

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have the sti shifter and have used a very good short shift lever, ILP Performance. The ILP was shorter shifting. The Sti is smoother and less notchy feeling.

misterx

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I love my STI short shifter. I have use the standard shifter and the STI and I think the STI is well worth it and much shorter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the two myself. I'm kinda leaning towards the factory short shifter (which is AKA the STi short shifter.) I was going to have the dealership install this (for warranty purposes) when getting my clutch checked, but they want to charge around $450. F*ck that. I'm kinda leary about doing this install myself, unless it's just bolt on. I'm really intimidated by doing anything underneith the car.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
verbel...

i just looked at the cost...

the kartboy is $135...that's it...mostly because it is the shifter lever as oppossed to the entire assembly...

your call though....my .02

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
verbal said:
I'm trying to decide between the two myself. I'm kinda leaning towards the factory short shifter (which is AKA the STi short shifter.) I was going to have the dealership install this (for warranty purposes) when getting my clutch checked, but they want to charge around $450. F*ck that. I'm kinda leary about doing this install myself, unless it's just bolt on. I'm really intimidated by doing anything underneith the car.
I did the install. It takes a bit of time, but if you have jack stands, get your wrenches and go at it. If you have small hands, you've got a huge advantage over me. I believe most of the bolts are 12mm.

misterx

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
PKer said:
If you get the Kartboy SS make sure you buy the bushings also.
Feels nice.
that's what everyone says...

i am going to install my shifter this weekend and do the bushings when there isn't any snow or ice on the ground...

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
WRC_Obsessed said:
that's what everyone says...

i am going to install my shifter this weekend and do the bushings when there isn't any snow or ice on the ground...
i love the kartboy. i had it in for 2 weeks w/o the bushings, but it's better with them. the thing is great. i can't imagine paying more than double that for a short shifter. the final result is the same, and the cost is over 2X? come on, it is after all just a short shifter. plus, the ease of install with the KB FAR exceeds that of replacing an entire linkage. that's rediculous. it's just a simple geometry change...

$135 is too much. i believe mine was $100, and the bushings were $30.

dR

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yeah, But with the kartboy you just get the arm. The STI you get the whole assembly. I hear the STi is better.

And I'll only attempt the install if it comes with good instructions. I'm not very car savvy and don't want to screw anything up.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
well i have to say...i have not felt an sti but i have felt dR's kartboy and it feels great...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought the Sti and installed myself, the stocke sucks for sure.
I am very happy with the Sti SS, my last ride being a Miata(best feel ever) says alot for the Sti SS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Trypsin said:
I bought the Sti and installed myself, the stocke sucks for sure.
I am very happy with the Sti SS, my last ride being a Miata(best feel ever) says alot for the Sti SS.
I am thinking of installing the STi SS this coming spring. Did you use aftermaket bushing in the shifter? How long did it take you to install? I have jack stands, wrenchs, 30 gallon air compressor, and average skills.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts