ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2011 WRX with the port installed short shifter.
As of late with no complaints of the current STS i've been itching to switch it out for a Kartboy STS and the bushings. Any thoughts on this should i go for it or would the money be better spent elsewhere?

thanks

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I've got the kartboy part in my 2010 and love it.. however, I started with the factory standard throw shifter. The KB unit afaik isn't much shorter than the subaru short throw..

What I'd do if I were in your shoes, is def do the bushings. You'll love the new feel and precision. Later if you want a marginally shorter throw change out the stick to match. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I would agree with the above posters.Just change the bushings .As I understand it you only got the STI short shifter & not the SPT bushings.Changing out the bushings will improve shifter feel .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would agree with the above posters.Just change the bushings .As I understand it you only got the STI short shifter & not the SPT bushings.Changing out the bushings will improve shifter feel .
yea, just the STI shifter no bushings.
thanks you guys going to buy the bushings tomorrow :)

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
At least with the STi, the factory short throw has the same length lever, but a shorter linkage...

Basically, say the linkage reduces the throw by 15%, and the Kartboy lever reduces it by 40%, you now have about a 50% reduction.

I got the short shifter as a cheap option when I ordered. It works with the Kartboy lever very well. As stated above, make sure you do the bushings - they are the game changers for sure.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Bushings are more important than the lever, but I like the lever as well (some people don't). Try to find someone local with an aftermarket lever that will let you row through the gears a bit (even parked), then decide what you think.

Bushing Importance:
Rear shifter stay / Shift linkage
Front shifter stay / Pivot

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the info I just did order the Kartboy bushings. I'm going to make a solid attempt at making it out to a few meets soon. So I'll be the guy sneaking into cars and going through gears pay me no mind :)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
SWPWRX11 said:
Thanks all for the info I just did order the Kartboy bushings. I'm going to make a solid attempt at making it out to a few meets soon. So I'll be the guy sneaking into cars and going through gears pay me no mind :)
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-state/134348478-victory-meet-autumn-2011-vote-date-s-here.html

That's the one to go to. Being in NJ, you can't use the "too far" excuse; some people have driven over 500 miles round-trip for lunch (idiots) In case someone's offended by that, I'm included in that group

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I still gotta make it to one of those. Sigh.
You don't really want to hang out with Bill, Jesse, Weasel, Zach, Mikie and I, do you?!

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I would love to make it to the Victory meet.But I have to find a good excuse to tell my wife for the 2 1/2 hour drive to see people I have never met.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
rage-wrx said:
I would love to make it to the Victory meet.But I have to find a good excuse to tell my wife for the 2 1/2 hour drive to see people I have never met.
Tell her you're playing golf, then...

If you don't golf, then buy her chocolate, roses, jewelry, or whatever else does the trick...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
That's the one to go to. Being in NJ, you can't use the "too far" excuse; some people have driven over 500 miles round-trip for lunch (idiots) In case someone's offended by that, I'm included in that group
I was going to say Idiots thats not nice, But I couldnt see the part in white till I responded. LOL. I am not 500 miles round trip but kinda close. Approx 6hrs 30mins round trip and 350.52 miles round trip from mapquest. I hope I will make that next Victory Meet.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
You don't really want to hang out with Bill, Jesse, Weasel, Zach, Mikie and I, do you?!
Yeah, I'd like to put some faces to the names sometime. Also my good friend from college lives over in King of Prussia. Was thinking I could kill two birds with one trip over to Philly. I don't do much/any highway driving on the STi, so I'm sure the engine would appreciate some easy miles.

OP - any idea what you are going with? I'd call up TiC and make sure your short shift linkage is compatible with the lever to be sure. I am extremely happy with mine though - seems just perfect with a nice heavy shift knob on it. Anybody that drives a stick and gets in my car really likes it as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'd like to put some faces to the names sometime. Also my good friend from college lives over in King of Prussia. Was thinking I could kill two birds with one trip over to Philly. I don't do much/any highway driving on the STi, so I'm sure the engine would appreciate some easy miles.

OP - any idea what you are going with? I'd call up TiC and make sure your short shift linkage is compatible with the lever to be sure. I am extremely happy with mine though - seems just perfect with a nice heavy shift knob on it. Anybody that drives a stick and gets in my car really likes it as well.
Yea for now im going to keep the STS i have and just slap in some Kartboy Bushings. And hopefully come accross a fellow subie lover with the Kartboy STS who know could be love at first shift

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Doing the install yourself? Removing the stock front bushing is tough.
No it isn't. If you follow the instructions it's super easy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts