ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a Kartboy SS/bushings for a birthday present fairly recently. I haven't taken the time to install it until just now, though. I followed the Scoobymods tutorial and everything went as planned up until seating the Kartboy into the socket.

I....CANNOT.....GET.....THE.....DAMN.....THING.....TO SEAT!! I mean, I have exhausted myself with this rubber hammer trying to get it in there. I first tried just hitting the top of the shifter w/ the hammer for a while. No luck. Then, I tried putting the shift knob back on and hitting THAT with the hammer. No luck.

So I tried putting the OEM shifter back in. In like 4-5 good smacks with the hammer, it popped right in.

Also, every picture I've seen of the Kartboy shifter on the web (tutorials) shows the knob at the bottom being silver. The one I have has a black knob. The stick on the shifter says "KB004451".

I've already emailed Kartboy about this to see if I have the wrong part. I'm not sure where it was ordered from. I think possibly www.fastwrx.com but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask the person who gave it to me and find out for sure.

Has anyone run into this problem? Do I have the wrong part? Am I just not hitting the damn thing hard enough? (I can't imagine I'm not) Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
i tried for an hour w/o the rubber mallet.

no way was that sucker going in.

i went out and bought one, and after 4-5 good smacks, she popped in. you need to hit it pretty hard, and keep the shifter as close to vertical as you can.

dR

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was smackin' the sh!t out of it w/ the rubber mallet. No dice.

But the OEM one went in like the Kartboy SHOULD w/ about 5 good whacks. Popped right in.

Hopefully Kartboy will get back to me and let me know if I have the wrong part or not.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got a response back from Kartboy. Apparently I'm just not hitting it hard enough or lining it up right :confused: Guess I'll go get a better mallet and give it another shot.

(sigh)

<thinks he may turn elsewhere for further, complicated mods> :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I did my install i put a piece of wood on the shifter and then got the mallet and after about 2-3 really good solid hits, it popped right in.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
sd-wrx04 said:
When I did my install i put a piece of wood on the shifter and then got the mallet and after about 2-3 really good solid hits, it popped right in.
same thing i did

·
Registered
91 Posts
my brother and I just did the install. It was very difficult. We started by hitting it with a regular metal head hammer and a block of wood. To no avail we could not get it in. We both live where we work, a maintance shop, so we went over there to see what we could find to help us in the process. When we arrived over there, we both immediately had a novel idea. We had both recently been trained in how to use a fork lift, and figured, if we could get the first fork on the fore side of the front seat, and the 2nd fork just behind, we could lower them onto the shift lever and use hydrolic pressure to pop the sucker in. However, after ample searching through the tool bin we had a more practical idea; a sledge hammer and lithium grease. So we went back to our garage, loaded the ball up, and filled the hole with lithium grease. I held the lever in place while my brother placed a piece of wood on top. He stood back and gave it one whack, two whack, three whacks...nothing. So then in a fit of frustration over the entire situation he gave it a huge whack nearly knocking off the rear view mirror. The ball popped into place and all was well, except for the fact that lithium grease shot out of the hole and all over me. (luckily none ended up on the car) So I washed up and the shifter was in place.

On a side note, we accidentally installed the lever backwards at first, which alotted a very short throw however the most akward of positions to hold the knob. Once back in correct position, it felt more argonomic. I howerever was not blown away with the difference between that, and the stock lever. However, we both have sti short shifts installed. (dealer options)

All in all, what im trying to say more than anything else is, when you read instructions and it sais "A good hit or two will seat it proporly," Dont trust them. End.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On ScoodyMods, it says to make sure the bend in the shifter is pointing towards the back of car. But, in the pictures they include for reference, it looks (although hard to tell from the angle) that the bend is pointing towards the front.

Can you confirm the correct direction (front or back of the car) to have the bend in the bottom pointing towards?? Thanx

·
Registered
767 Posts
I used a 3/8" ratchet extension (any slim metal rod about 6-8" should work). Put it through the hole in the middle of the shifter, wedged one end under the metal plate toward the dash. Pushed down on the other end and voila! popped right into the socket.

·
Registered
91 Posts
im not completely sure on which direction it is suposed to be installed. However i remember the first way we had it, it was at an akward forward angle. It looked like it was in 3rd gear. It had extremely short throws, but we didnt think it could possibly be right because of the akward angle you had to hold the knob. The other direction feels as if the knob is a little more towards the back and the throws are more like stock throws. So im not 100% sure, but thats what we observed.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UR MOTHA said:
I used a 3/8" ratchet extension (any slim metal rod about 6-8" should work). Put it through the hole in the middle of the shifter, wedged one end under the metal plate toward the dash. Pushed down on the other end and voila! popped right into the socket.
cool, that sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Damnit, I'm gonna get it in there. :mad:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Are you taking out the plastic recepticle before you install the shifter? That's what I had to do with mine. pop out the receptacle by taking off the c-clamp underneath the car that holds it in. You need special pliers. Then bring it through the top. The shifter ball will go in nicely since the recepticle has room to expand. slide the shifter/recepticle back in and clamp it back. I did not want to force the shifter in the socket when it was clamped in cause i was afraid it would weaken the plastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts