Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short throw shifter

I do not have an OEM short throw in my X. I have the normal one. If I buy the Kartboy short throw shifter and bushings is it the same install process as if I had an OEM short throw?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm not sure it is the same for both, but look on scoobymods.com for in depth instructions for Kartboy install. I installed my Kartboy with Bushings this week and it only took about 20 minutes for the whole thing. Shifts great.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Installed Kartboy today

I installed my Kartboy tonight in the dark with my maplights on and i did it came out great feels great w00t for me!! just had to let you guys know!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Is the reduction in throw a significant one? How long did the install take, and did you also get the bushings?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
WRXin' said:
Is the reduction in throw a significant one? How long did the install take, and did you also get the bushings?
ok let's see here

1)it took around maybe 20 minutes or so..it was in the dark with my map lights on so i don't really know if thats the average time or not

2) what do you mean by significant?? yes i can tell the difference in throws....

3)no i didn't get the bushings i have the stock ones in there

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
If you can tell the difference, then it's significant...at least in my world it is. Anyways, thanks for the info:)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
WRXin' said:
If you can tell the difference, then it's significant...at least in my world it is. Anyways, thanks for the info:)
ya i can tell the difference i didn't know what you meant by significant like it helps so much or u can just barely tell.but no problem cartmen..KICK A$$

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Did you have a tough time getting the new shifter "ball" set in the linkage cup? I had to beat the HECK out of the thing with a rubber mallet to get it in there... :)

Aloha,
Richard...

P.S. The Kartboy ROCKS, huh? :D

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
is2scooby said:
Did you have a tough time getting the new shifter "ball" set in the linkage cup? I had to beat the HECK out of the thing with a rubber mallet to get it in there... :)

Aloha,
Richard...

P.S. The Kartboy ROCKS, huh? :D
haha ya it rocks i had to run in the house and get a hammer and my stupid buddy hit the top i was like WTF you doing...cuz the hammer wasn't flat it had like the rivets on the end so i was pissed then i got a small piece of wood to put on top of it as a "coaster" and he whacked it but the board was a little thin and he has bad aim so i got a huge as board at this point i was a little angry i told him to hold the board in place and i whacked the **** out of it with 1 shot it popped in and i rejoiced!!woohoo w00t sweet..hahah ya it's great i love it..as long as you have everything with you while you do it you'll be fine...it's just i had to run in and out of the house to get crap

·
Registered
555 Posts
I installed my Kartboy this past weekend with a friend. Here are some details (in case it may help others):

Getting the knob in was cake (and I was worried for nothing). My friend put a phone book over it and I hit the thing in on my second try using a 15 lb dumbbell.

The metal frame part was tricky. The stick hit it in 1st, so we removed it and I tried to bend/bang the corner. After playing with the screws a bit, we got in to not hit the frame.

We also installed the bushings:
this was the hard part in my opinion. We put the car up on ramps. Getting the old bushing out was a real pain. I ended up chopping it up with a pair of clippers and it was still hard. next getting the new bushings to mount was difficult. The directions in the I-club link was right -on except this part. Compressing the bushing was too hard, there was no way to screw the washer back on. A simple solution: a c-clamp from Home Depot. After that, it was cake.

Overall, the install was simple with everyday tools, a phone book, ramp, and dumbbells. I hope this helps future installers.

dan.

·
Registered
779 Posts
When I installed my kartboy, I had to get help in order to get the ball in the linkage cup. I bang the hell out of it but it just wouldn't go in so I got the hubby to hit it in for me. After that, everything else was a piece of cake. I cut my oem bushings out with a kitchen knife. The kartboy bushings make for a smoother transition IMHO.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
QuickSilver said:
I installed my Kartboy this past weekend with a friend. Here are some details (in case it may help others):

Getting the knob in was cake (and I was worried for nothing). My friend put a phone book over it and I hit the thing in on my second try using a 15 lb dumbbell.

The metal frame part was tricky. The stick hit it in 1st, so we removed it and I tried to bend/bang the corner. After playing with the screws a bit, we got in to not hit the frame.

We also installed the bushings:
this was the hard part in my opinion. We put the car up on ramps. Getting the old bushing out was a real pain. I ended up chopping it up with a pair of clippers and it was still hard. next getting the new bushings to mount was difficult. The directions in the I-club link was right -on except this part. Compressing the bushing was too hard, there was no way to screw the washer back on. A simple solution: a c-clamp from Home Depot. After that, it was cake.

Overall, the install was simple with everyday tools, a phone book, ramp, and dumbbells. I hope this helps future installers.

dan.
hmm mine aren't even close to hitting the plate...i wonder y some do and some dont...there is a bend/point on the shifter did u install that bend pointing forward or back?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
hmm mine aren't even close to hitting the plate...i wonder y some do and some dont...there is a bend/point on the shifter did u install that bend pointing forward or back?
If you install the shifter backwards, it'll actually hit the console in 1st gear. My shifter linkage didn't rub the plate either. I bent it up a little just in case.

-Jim

·
2,210 Posts
The trick to get the shifter ball to locate in cup is to bolt up the linkage to the shifter, place the ball on the cup, then pull back on the shifter. It will pop right in. The pounding technique is somewhat ineffective and can damage the shifter threads.

I had to take extra steps to prevent my shifter from contacting the surrounding plate. However, I noticed on Phast's the other day that he has a bunch of clearance as-is.

If you do have problems; the trick apparently for the sourround plate is to lift it off and rotate it 180 degrees. Had I known this at the time, I wouldn't have trimmed it with the dremel. :(

-Pace

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

If you install the shifter backwards, it'll actually hit the console in 1st gear. My shifter linkage didn't rub the plate either. I bent it up a little just in case.

-Jim
ok thats what i thoght but wasn't sure. Does anyoen else think that it's odd that some people have problems with it and some don't

·
Registered
555 Posts
Regarding the shifter hitting the plate:

I remember that the shifter hits the plate very lightly. It's possible that some people may not have even noticed or just a variation on manufacturing (since the contact is so subtle).

That 180 turn thing...we tried that, but it didn't look like the plate would line up correctly. But by that point I was ready to just bang the hell out of it...it's just a piece of metal frame....feels solid, but I was surprised at how easy it was to bend.

BTW, during the bushings install, I was afraid to turn the nut too much (horror stories of breaking the stud), so I turned enough so the nut was completely on and then loctite (green). There's defintely some of the bushing showing...the I-Club directions says that goes away...I looked under my car 2 days after and it's still showing. The shifting feels fine, but I guess I'm worried that the nut may pop off and then all hell will break lose (just being malodramatic).

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I had contact in 1st gear with the Kartboy. I rotated the shifter plate 180 degrees and bent up one of the ears (with the stud on it) and haven't looked back since!

Aloha,
Richard...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've noticed people are asking whats forward or backwards....You want it to bend towards you, otherwise, just as somebody else said, you'll be smackin the dash as you go into first.
So, Last night I installed my Kartboy short throw shifter and at first I thought I was going to have to beat the piss out of it in order to get it in....cheeky devil.
At anyrate, after absolotuley no success at pounding it in there, I hooked it up w/ the linkage (put the bolt through etc), lined it up, and with one whack from my rubber mallet it went in without a problem.
Hopefully by hooking up the linkage I didnt screw anything up (doesnt feel like I have, it runs soooooo smooth and the throws are drastically reduced from the stock one) and I have no rubbing what so ever, which is another thing some Kartboy owners are saying.
And hopefully I will be putting in the bushings this weekend or next.

-RR

1 - 20 of 90 Posts