Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I am going to bite the bullet and buy a "real" gearset (no sti ra for me). How loud do you all think the KAAZ gears will be? They are straight cut 1-3 and helical 4-5. How loud are they *really*. Do you think they would be daily drivable?

Also, if any of you know anyone who has them, let me know.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
my brother fahd(wrxin') is thinknig about getting kaaz gears for his car its a dailydriver to him :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Better check out the Kaaz ratios before you buy. Your engine will be screaming during an 80mph cruise. To me that's not daily driveable.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silver Bullet1 said:
Better check out the Kaaz ratios before you buy. Your engine will be screaming during an 80mph cruise. To me that's not daily driveable.
That is also a concern of mine, but I don't do much highway driving. I have been looking at the gimmegears street/race setup that uses stock wrx 5th gear ratio w/ shorter 1-4, that looks like an attractive option.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
ryland said:
I have been looking at the gimmegears street/race setup that uses stock wrx 5th gear ratio w/ shorter 1-4, that looks like an attractive option.
Ryland,

Can you link to the ones you mention here?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Thanks. That looks like a pretty good setup. $3600 though.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WRC_Obsessed said:
Thanks. That looks like a pretty good setup. $3600 though.
Yeah, it's really expensive. I gotta look at all my options though :)

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I hear ya. It's not something you want to cheap out on. After my suspension that is the next big investment before I go really big on the engine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Frank @ autospeed has the Kaaz on his daily driver. Rallispec did gear install. Frank has 80kmi on his car.:eek3: . He says at 80mph in 5th he is tacking 4grand. Killer gear set for anyone looking at doing a big turbo. Frank still uses stock turbo. Another autospeed guy had a 5sp Kaaz box(entire tranny) for sale or trade for automatic. They are located in Jersey:wiggles: .

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
neverendingmods said:
Frank @ autospeed has the Kaaz on his daily driver. Rallispec did gear install. Frank has 80kmi on his car.:eek3: . He says at 80mph in 5th he is tacking 4grand. Killer gear set for anyone looking at doing a big turbo. Frank still uses stock turbo. Another autospeed guy had a 5sp Kaaz box(entire tranny) for sale or trade for automatic. They are located in Jersey:wiggles: .
Thanks for the info, I may be contacting them in the near future for some insight :)

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Isn't the flex in the tranny case a major concern as well?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WRC_Obsessed said:
Isn't the flex in the tranny case a major concern as well?
Yeah, it is definitely a big concern. I wonder if there is any way to make some sort of reinforcement that you can "tie" around the tranny case to help hold it together more successfully.

I am going to see how Mike likes his RA gears, if they work out well for him and his VF-22 they should be fine for me.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
ryland said:
Yeah, it is definitely a big concern. I wonder if there is any way to make some sort of reinforcement that you can "tie" around the tranny case to help hold it together more successfully.

I am going to see how Mike likes his RA gears, if they work out well for him and his VF-22 they should be fine for me.
Zip ties.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Just make sure they are OEM zipties or else you'll void your warranty! :eek:

:p

-snowcat

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
snowcat said:
Just make sure they are OEM zipties or else you'll void your warranty! :eek:

:p

-snowcat
Bah, I don't need no warranty!

It was voided by the time I pulled out of the dealership lot.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts