ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont no what to get for my 2005 sti a K&N Typhoon short ram Intake or a K&N Typhoon cold air intake. What do u think and Y

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
short ram. Made specifically for the STi and works great. The cold air was not STi specific and I believe it may have MAF problems.

·
Registered
240 Posts
En4cer said:
i dont no what to get for my 2005 sti a K&N Typhoon short ram Intake or a K&N Typhoon cold air intake. What do u think and Y
i have the typhoon. no problems at all. I'm sure it made a lil bit of power because it has leaned my car out a lil bit also. my trunk is cleaner nowadays

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have the short ram and it is awesome. I also sell them ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
My experience with the short ram is a positive one. After install I noticed the sound of the blow off valve A LOT more and turbo spool was louder as well. There are numerous dyno tests and testimonials that show about 12 horses and 12 ft-lbs to the wheels on a stock STI. Do a search, there are tons of threads about the Typhoon. Good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
does that include the cobb accessport? and y will u have to do that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yea I am pretty sure. When people get the Cobb you have to switch back to get the most HP. When you add an ECU and have the K&N you get 10 less HP than you would without a K&N. This if for the STI, I am not sure for the WRX. In my STI forum this has been discussed several times, thats why i'm holding off on a K&N.

·
Registered
377 Posts
do you know how much power the short ram adds to just the wrx i heard it is only like one to three but it sounds really good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
JL889 said:
Yea I am pretty sure. When people get the Cobb you have to switch back to get the most HP. When you add an ECU and have the K&N you get 10 less HP than you would without a K&N. This if for the STI, I am not sure for the WRX. In my STI forum this has been discussed several times, thats why i'm holding off on a K&N.
if you wanna keep the intake with ap, just get the access tuner and have a custom map made. if that isn't an option, stay stock intake. I have the k&n typhoon and plan to get the ap and experiment with the typhoon. I haven't actually heard anyone try to use the typhoon with the ap on an sti.

·
Registered
228 Posts
JL889 said:

I would like to see some hardcore evidence on this (i.e. dyno pulls) im not saying your wrong its just everyones answeres are like 50/50 wether it be an STi or WRX with an ECU (cobb specific)

Half of the population say that they feel no gain or it dropped power and the other half say that it helps alot and no CEL's have appeared.....

one thing is for sure all the people that swear by the typhoon that are running the cobb standard maps are using the SHORT RAM...

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Have you considered waiting for Cobb to come out with their intake...one that will work with the AP?

·
Registered
222 Posts
does anyone know y the short ram air typhhon doesnt work well with the access port? and you can ac tually see a HP loss?

·
Registered
228 Posts
toolow67 said:
does anyone know y the short ram air typhhon doesnt work well with the access port? and you can ac tually see a HP loss?

As far as I know this is all speculation right now man. For the people that are saying it isnt good for your car see if they are running a short ram or cai. Usually in the past almost all the CAI's were known to cause problems.

But for sure the one problem that is proven is that intakes (wether it be short or cai) will screw with your car (stock or aftermarket ecu) if the MAF piping is a different size from stock. A couple manufacturers such as K&N (typhoon model) and Perrin (short ram) state that they use stock MAF sizing when making their products so I would see no reason for their products to cause trouble.....

of course the only other problem that is left is the issue with turblulence in the piping but most people only see that with CAI cause of the extra piping....

I say go with the typhoon wether or not you have an aftermarket ecu or stock. I did tons of searches the other night and now its more like 75% in favor for the intake.

·
Registered
222 Posts
okay, thanks a lot man^ :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
i will try to get the ap soon and let me people know with my experience with the ap and typhoon on the sti. As for power gain or power loss, i couldn't tell ya unless i dyno. I can only let you guys know if there are problems. Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
my buddy has a 05 STI with the short ram TYPHOON. the other day he went to a shop here in AZ and they wouldn't reflash and tune his car. the reason that he said, (i dont know if it was bs or not, this salesman has been bias to other products instead), said that the hole that the mass air flow sensor goes into, is not the right size and get super inconsistent pulls on the dyno. they told him to put his stock back on and then they would flash and dynotune his sti then. Thats what i was told. sorry no evidence.

·
Registered
228 Posts
dubya05 said:
my buddy has a 05 STI with the short ram TYPHOON. the other day he went to a shop here in AZ and they wouldn't reflash and tune his car. the reason that he said, (i dont know if it was bs or not, this salesman has been bias to other products instead), said that the hole that the mass air flow sensor goes into, is not the right size and get super inconsistent pulls on the dyno. they told him to put his stock back on and then they would flash and dynotune his sti then. Thats what i was told. sorry no evidence.

Yes this is true, many dealers/tuners wont tune cars with aftermarket intakes because most of them are known to cause problems and it is because of the incorrect MAF housing. However, K&N and perrin specifically made their intakes the correct size (stock) so this problem would not occur. I suspect the shop person was just playing it safe and assuming that all intakes are bad, which was the general consencus up untill these were made...

·
Registered
228 Posts
that being said, anyone have one for sale? cheaP?

K&N should read this thread and hook me up with one for doing promotions for them!!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts