ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post, new to the site, and Subbies - 09 WRX. I was researching purchasing this intake, especially after the posted gains by Car & Driver magazine, seemed like a cost effective mod - guess we can save that debate for a latter time. I had a question though looking at the K&N website, stating non-US models only, at least for 09 models. Thought this was interesting, they will not work on 09s, although Car & Driver installed one? Also impressive to get a response, and ongoing correspondence from a company, customer service seem to be A+.

The response:

Dear Colby,
Thanks for contacting K&N. Unfortunately K&N currently does not offer a Typhoon system for the 09 WRX. We have performed fitment testing and have determined that the kit will work with the Non US WRX but will not work on the North American Specification 09 WRX. It has nothing to do with the legality of the system.

Please check back with us at a later time for updates on this application.

Thanks for writing,
George Hsieh
Tech Support
K&N Engineering
[email protected]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi all, first post, new to the site, and Subbies - 09 WRX. I was researching purchasing this intake, especially after the posted gains by Car & Driver magazine, seemed like a cost effective mod - guess we can save that debate for a latter time. I had a question though looking at the K&N website, stating non-US models only, at least for 09 models. Thought this was interesting, they will not work on 09s, although Car & Driver installed one? Also impressive to get a response, and ongoing correspondence from a company, customer service seem to be A+.

The response:

Dear Colby,
Thanks for contacting K&N. Unfortunately K&N currently does not offer a Typhoon system for the 09 WRX. We have performed fitment testing and have determined that the kit will work with the Non US WRX but will not work on the North American Specification 09 WRX. It has nothing to do with the legality of the system.

Please check back with us at a later time for updates on this application.

Thanks for writing,
George Hsieh
Tech Support
K&N Engineering
[email protected]
You have a link to the test where Car and Driver put a K&N onto the 09 WRX?

For some reason every page on Car and Driver that seems to feature the 09 WRX won't load or show up? Don't know what's going on with Subaru and Car and Driver?
If anybody can copy and paste or scan the article here, that would be great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car & Driver Article - 09 WRX

The article was in July 09, unfortunately I do not have a paper copy to scan at this point, but it was a great article for all WRX owners. Someone had posted the link earlier but it indeed seems to be down, could someone else post a copy?

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Seems like this thread was taking place in the Twilight Zone :screwy: :tongue:

First off, the link works now. Maybe they were doing maintenance on the site?

Secondly, the K&N Typhoon intake Part #69-8004TTK
(K&N Typhoon Intake for 08-09 WRX & STi, JSC Speed WRX Intake)

WILL fit the USDM 09 WRX. I had one on my car for a while, and while it ran fine and sounded great, I didn't want to tune at that time to get the most out of it. So I sold it and put the money elsewhere (into a Tactrix cable ironically, so now I'm ready to tune for it but I already sold it :rolleyes: :D)

I don't know what the email they sent you was referring to, unless they're not going to be producing them anymore? I can't imagine why; it's a very nice piece.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Weird, I still get a blank page on the Car and Driver site (well except the Subaru advertisement of the WRX skidding into frame at the top).

I've been trying to access the articles on all the 09 WRX's they've tested over the past 6-8 months and each time they all come up blank. I've been trying for 2 weeks now.

The K&N air intake seems a bit pricey.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Weird... I'm using firefox3.0. No problems here.

I believe retailers have some flexibility with pricing on K&N as opposed to say, Cobb or AEM.

For instance, you can use this price:
Ken's Auto Wholesale

To get your local place to price match, or something similar.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Weird... I'm using firefox3.0. No problems here.

I believe retailers have some flexibility with pricing on K&N as opposed to say, Cobb or AEM.

For instance, you can use this price:
Ken's Auto Wholesale

To get your local place to price match, or something similar.
Thanks.

I've tried the C&D site on both Firefox on my PC and on Safari on my MacBook PRO several times over the past 1-2 weeks.
No luck. :thumbdown

1 - 11 of 11 Posts