ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the new issue of super street they do an article on the K&N intake for the STi. At the end of it they claim an additional 15 horsepower just by itself. From what ive heard from this forum, just an intake by itself on the Sti will make you lose HP. Which is true? If i can get 15 more HP by adding the K&N i will go ahead and do it (and I wont have to buy a BOV for the sound).

·
Registered
498 Posts
from what i got, you can get the intake if you have engine management...... the stock ecu by itself gets confused then you run lean.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats whats confusing me because I dont have engine management, but it didnt seem like they did in the test either. Maybe I missed that part??

·
Registered
71 Posts
the article states the car is stock, gains 14.12hp and maintained the 14.5:1 a/f ratio. the question is, will it remain that way? from my memory regarding this stuff, people have said cai's on the wrx worked well initially but later had problems. how different is the sti's ecu tuning than the wrx?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
God from Godspeed had an interesting thread about this a few months back...he showed a dyno graph of a car with his intake over the stock intake and it gave something like a 15 HP gain. However, it has to be tuned to work as intended.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
An intake makes the car run lean.

Leaner mixture on a stock (richer) car will increase performance.

Therefore, it makes sense that an increase was shown.

Why are intakes bad? When you add EM from someplace like Cobb without a custom tune, the map doesn't take account for the intake, so the mixture is dangerously lean. Also, the long term effects can be a burnt out MAP (MAF? I forget because I am stupid) sensor.

·
Registered
211 Posts
allan r said:
the article states the car is stock, gains 14.12hp and maintained the 14.5:1 a/f ratio.
Maintained to me means it held this A/F throughout the rev range which would be really, really lean when the boost kicks in. If that is true, then it is adding the power by running dangerously lean..............not good.

Jimbo

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think that the post about EM was making reference to the fact that Cobb's maps lean out the A/F, and then you add an intake, which by itself will lean it out further, and you're headed for potential trouble. And what gets "burnt" are pistons, not MAF sensors.
K&N will tell you that their Typhoon is engineered for only ~15% gain in airflow, and that it keeps the MAF sensor in the stock location. These two features should result in a "safe" increase in AF ratio, considering how rich our cars are to begin with. And a leaner mixture will make more power.
It all depends on what risks you're willing to take, and how you intend to use the car. For strictly street use, assuming you always use good fuel and keep up with "heat management", you're probably OK with the stock ECU, and probably OK with AP, even though Cobb would prefer you stay with a stock intake.
BTW, rthat 14.5:1 A/F must be at idle. I don't think you could run a NA engine that lean under load without detonation.

·
Registered
128 Posts
some of you sound like you don't really know what you are talking about, only regurgetating what you read from someone else doing the same. you should read a professionaly written artical on CAI and EMS. an intake kit such as CAI, does not need tuning IF the ID of the piping used is same ID as stock. if you can cause more air to enter without causing the MAF to read faulty values, you will gain safe power. the location of the MAF is irrelavant, so long as the location does not cause the sensor to read turbulent charge.

as for the 14.5:1 AFR, that is probably cruising or idle.

and last thing. don't go believing everything you read in your next issue of any magazine. the guys that build these project cars sometime put in less time than you think. the parts they put on is not sometimes the best part on the market, but what is given to them for the great price of free.ninety.nine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Is anyone here running a CAI or Shortram intake with a stage 2 and dyno tuning? Reason I ask is b/c in about two weeks I'll be going to get my car tuned by Shiv from Vishnu here in NJ at a dyno day. I am looking for as much power as I can get on a stock turbo for now (basic bolt-ons). Every little bit helps, just wondering if an intake worked for those with some tuning done, and not just say an off-the-shelf map. Thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
buy the godspeed SUS short ram intake. It's 200 dollars. Do a search in the vendor forum for them.

1CLNWRX said:
Is anyone here running a CAI or Shortram intake with a stage 2 and dyno tuning? Reason I ask is b/c in about two weeks I'll be going to get my car tuned by Shiv from Vishnu here in NJ at a dyno day. I am looking for as much power as I can get on a stock turbo for now (basic bolt-ons). Every little bit helps, just wondering if an intake worked for those with some tuning done, and not just say an off-the-shelf map. Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
I spoke with them today and they said that it would not hurt much at all if I were to wait for an intake after the tuning process. So for now I might just hold off. I have been looking at a Perrin turbo inlet hose. I already have a Perrin air filter and the silencer delete mod so that would probally be the better choice instead of getting a whole other intake. Anyone ever use one of those with good results?

·
Registered
498 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts