ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG the car the car feels totally different. I put on my ERZ dp two nights ago (pain in the ass to install due to the bolts not wanting to come out). Now I have never owned a turbo car, when I floor it, it is really loud. I am pretty sure this is normal but I wanted to ask you guys/gals about it. BTW I have it mounted to stock cbe for now and it sounds nice with the turbo spool. Another question would an upgraded TMIC help at all or should I just keep the stock TMIC? I am running open source ECU with a wideband sensor that I will install soon and will hopefully get a tune in a couple months or so.

·
Registered
966 Posts
that loud noise is the turbo spooling.....it should sound like an 18 wheeler turbo spooling....an upgraded TMIC will give you a little more volume so air can be cooled more efficeintly.....you will get a little more power but more importantly you will not get "heat soaked" from hard driving and hot days.....this will allow your power to be more consistant and not lose power due to hot engine and hot days

·
Registered
617 Posts
how loud is "really loud". There should be a difference in sound but if it's REALLY loud as you say, you have a air hole between your DP and turbo or your DP and your exhaust. Did you use new gaskets for both sides? I forgot to buy a gasket for the DP to the exhaust and it was deafening loud (I dont have an aftermarket exhaust) Once I put in a new gasket it was night and day.

·
Registered
966 Posts
how long did the AP take to insall??? how fast can you switch maps??? where do you locate the AP unit in your car

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using open source (tactrix) stage 2 from 3gsucks. I used all the new gaskets, I am pretty sure the sound is normal but I am just not use to having a free flowing turbo car. I do not see any gaps between the dp and turbo and the dp and cbe. There is a hole on top of my downpipe, it is the bung for the wideband 02 sensor that I have yet to install, you think that would make a difference? Also thanks for all your input, I think I will be getting the ebay intercooler in a little while due to me living in Florida and it usually being hot.

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
There is a hole on top of my downpipe, it is the bung for the wideband 02 sensor that I have yet to install, you think that would make a difference?
I would read up on O2 sensor mounting locations. The bung on top of your DP is probably 3" from your turbo. You don't want to mount it that close.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bung I had drilled and welded 30 in from the turbo. There is no plug in it because I messed up the plug and had to get the plug drilled out. I am probably going to install the sensor sometime this week. It shouldn't be any problem, should it? Also will that make it any quiter? It is a small hole so I don't expect much of a difference.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll go buy a plug until I have time to install the wideband sensor. I am going to tweak it as soon as I can get the wideband sensor in so hopefully this weekend. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I finally installed the sensor. It was a pain in the ass. There was a metal lip that wouldn't let me thread the sensor in place. So I had to take the downpipe off (a lot easier the second time around) and take it back to the shop and they fixed it for me. Put the dp back on the car and now I think it is too quiet. I kind of liked the sound it made haha. I guess time for a CBE. Anybody tried the ERZ spec 2?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The problem with mods is that as soon as you think you're done, you find something else to do.

I went stage 2 myself this week. Simply amazing. :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
JUST ORDERED MY COBB DP!!!!!
How har are they to install..... ive heard its just 4 bolts..... ive also heard you must remove the intercooler and intake plenum???????

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I want stage 3 now haha. If I get an STi turbo and a bigger TMIC what else would I need. Fuel pump? Injectors?

Removing the intercooler makes it easier. Also getting the heat sheild off can be a pain because there is like 7-8 bolts holding it. There are 5 bolts that connect the DP to the turbo. Then there is a hangar that attaches to the transmission and another one just a little bit farther down. To remove the O2 sensor follow the wire to the connection and disconnect it and unclip the clips that are holding the wire. Lastly remove the 2 nuts that connects to the CBE and you are all done. Reconnect the new DP the same way (minuse the heat shield and mine didn't have the hangar that connects to the transmission).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts