Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a clean 30k 16 limited wrx manual. Driving it felt stiff on the clutch like i expected and drove solid except for one thing. You would hear the turbo spool up and in second gear as you would put the gas on it would almost lag where it felt like the air was open and yet it would almost feel like you lunges forward just as it would kick in and throw you back if that makes sense. Making it not a smooth exceleration. I did check and the recall for the turbo has not been done yet. Being that this is the first subaru I have ever even drove I don’t know much of what I should expect. It definitely is not smooth through second though and my question would be what would it likely be? I would be purchasing through CarMax and I have 30 days for it to be brought in to be inspected but I am very hesitant on purchasing something that I could be told is fine later. I’m hoping its likely the recall issue

·
Super Moderator
11,426 Posts
It should behave like any turbo vehicle. Slight lag then as manifold pressure builds a surge of power. Lower gears usually build lower pressure

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm thinking you're just feeling the odd way Subaru tuned 2nd gear. the RPMs don't drop as fast when shifting from 1st to 2nd, so you will feel that lunge if you let the clutch out too fast. Weird feeling at first but you'll get used to that rev hang.

I don't think it sounds like you experienced a dead spot. My WRX sometimes had a dead spot where it would stop pulling briefly before getting back into boost but it was in 3rd gear around 3100-3500 RPM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after sleeping on it I didnt have as much of a peace about it so i decided to start making calls to dealerships and finding a serious lack of options. I found a great deal on a 2016 30k limited called the dealer on it and asked why was it priced the way it was. I said i live about a hour away and so i wanted to make sure it wasn’t a salvaged title or had any big issues. They told me it’s a great CLEAN car. I show up it has about 5k in hail damage and i know hail damage my last car got totaled out for hail. Anyways i left i was pissed made sure to give them a great review for being crooks. Anyways headed towards home and quickly thought to search Subaru dealership and found that i was a couple miles away to Loveland dealership. Pull in ask do you have any used wrx’s They say one just came in and i need to see if it’s on the lot yet. Sure enough it was a 16 pearl white premium the only thing i would have been happier with would be the limited but after looking at this car it was night and day from the others I have seen. It made it very obvious to me all the others I have looked at had been tuned and for back with stock parts. This car felt like it was brand new I picked it up with 15k miles for 24,800 after having them give me some money back for new tires And got the lifetime drive train warrenty for 1300 all said and done it’s abour a 450 monthly payment I’m pretty happy with it the car it makes the others I have test drive feel like toys.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice! glad it worked out. That Carbon trunk trim looks good on the pearl white :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts