Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To Coking :D

This is the exhaust turbine on a 50,000 mile young VF30. It looks pretty bad. I am playing around trying to rebuild it. Looking promising. I will also be playing around with porting the exhaust housing exit for better flow.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hahahahaha. Sounds like a fun little project. BTW, that was me that said hi to you at the stoplight while I was on my bike. I was riding by looking at your trailer hitch set up thinking how much nicer it looks than mine. Then I saw the Flat4 sticker and thought "That must be somebody I should know..." and then I saw the black bra on the front and it all clicked. A blue wagon on the hill MUST be Harvey. So hello agian.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No turbo timer, and I drive really fast right until I park. Sometimes I even redline it all the way down the block before parking. I just love watching that needle bounce.:wiggles:

Seriously though I don't use one but will probably start running synthetic.

·
Banned
2,810 Posts
Harvey.... very clever. :) . I tip my hat you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
WRX Harvey said:
No turbo timer, and I drive really fast right until I park. Sometimes I even redline it all the way down the block before parking. I just love watching that needle bounce.:wiggles:

Seriously though I don't use one but will probably start running synthetic.

Thats hillarious!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Other than 2 Grease Monkey visits, I have always taken it to Flatirons or Mike Shaw Subaru for cervix. Every 4k of course. I just use what they gives me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just reinstalled the turbo today. I cleaned it up inside and did some minor porting/smoothing. I wouldn't call what I did polishing though next time I am going to polish it. Preliminary results are very nice. I think I picked up another 10-20 hp. 17 on the Powermeter-ID. Feels more like it used to on nitrous. I think I am going to start looking for a blown vf to cannabalize for parts so I can get rid of the cracked housing and port and polish a good one.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
That's pretty neat Harvey. Is it possible to clean up that turbine with a sand blaster or would that cause damage? Have you ported/polished before? If not, how did you know how to do it? Any tips?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I am curious too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
no sand blaster

No you wouldn't want to use a sand blaster, as that can eat away at the metal if your not careful. There are some bead blasting media that are less agressive than sand, like walnut shell grit.

For the average hobby mechanic it is mostly just a simple process of picking the carbon off without scratching the surface. An tool like a piece of hard wood or hard plastic, and a wire brush will do most of it.

Can't speak for Harvey here, but port and polish is fairly straight forward. You don't want to get carried away, it is simply a matter of blending and smoothing things out.

There are a few tricks of the trade, regarding where you don't want to take material away, but a cautious person can get 90% of what a pro would get, by just "thinking like fast moving fluid'. If you do too much you can actually cause flow problems.

The main thing is having the right tools. You can do it with very simple tools but it takes you a long time and is pretty frustrating and tiring. With the proper die grinders it is much quicker, but your talking about an investment in tools of several hundred dollars. A single carbide burr can cost $40 +, and the die grinders are around $200.

Thats why folks like Deadbolt get $195 to do your turbo. I'd be willing to port and polish a hot side for less than that if someone brought me the bare hot side casting, so I don't have to deal with tearing it all down and putting it all back together.

If you make no changes on the turbo compressor or turbine you don't have to balance it again.

There are a couple tutorials on the web for do it yourself turbo rebuild that show the steps to take them apart.

Larry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts