Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I just passed 100,000 miles on my WRX. I've had the car new (it didn't even have one mile on the odometer when delivered) since March of 2001 and it's been my daily driver ever since.

Thankfully I've had no troubles so far, other than a few thousand rock chips and one suicidal raccoon who managed to crack the lip and bend a fender.... I autocross the car on a regular basis and usually drive it pretty hard on road trips. The car creaks and rattles plenty, but it's been doing that since 20,000...

I hope my next 100,000 miles are as trouble free and enjoyable.

Here's a pic from a few weeks ago.

:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTP_Gator said:
Any mods?
Nothing much, mostly to the suspension and brakes to sharpen things up for autocrossing. Nothing has been done to the engine as far as increasing boost or fuel. I've changed out the intercooler and radiator hoses for Perrin silicon. There's a Kartboy shifter, Knuckleball, and bushings in there as well.

Here's a rundown...

H&R springs with stock struts (they're getting tired...)
Cusco front and rear sway bars with Perrin drop links
Cusco front and rear strut braces, carbon in the rear wiht the V attachment
DBA rotors and Porterfield R4S pads
Goodridge brake lines with Motul RBF600 fluid
Gram Lights 57S with Falken Azenis

Like I said, nothing too fancy like some people around the NW **cough** Armin **cough** Down the road I want to upgrade to a full coilover system, probably Cusco Zero2Rs, then I'll start thinking about adding more power since I'm pretty sure the engine's broken in and reliable by now...

The car's paid off so everything from here on out is gravy.

:)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Ferg said:
Like I said, nothing too fancy like some people around the NW **cough** Armin **cough** Down the road I want to upgrade to a full coilover system, probably Cusco Zero2Rs, then I'll start thinking about adding more power since I'm pretty sure the engine's broken in and reliable by now...

Haha I'm soooo mildly-modded compared to a number of other locals around here! :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
i have 64,000 on mine... my motor mount is gettin really weak.. it ripped off my downpipe.. i just ordered the STi motor mount today... but besides that.. i havent had a problem w/ my wrx yet =) I AM GLAD TO hear that your stock struts are still alive at 100,000.. cause my HKS springs are on stock struts too =) i love this car .. GREAT POST... it got me motivated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
hehehe is that all, my accord has 300,000+++ and still limping, 90' model.

i am still hoping my first 100,000 will be trouble free:p . i am currently at 29,000+ and counting.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yup...posts like this one probably do more for the WRX image than like a hundred kill stories and such.

Can you tell us a bit about your maintenance schedule?

When it's all said and done, most people are looking for a fun reliable car they can depend on.

I've got 38,500 mi on my '02 wagon...

We need to start: 30K, 50K, 75K, 100K club...

Hg.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
AWESOME!!!! I want my car back so bad so I can catch up!!!

-joe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your maintenance schedule would be really nice if you would post it here. Something I (and others I'm sure) would love to see would be a list of what has gone wrong and @ the mileage it happened. How is the interior holding up? Is the headliner sagging, etc...etc.. I bet SOA would love to hear about your car as well..I bet you are one of the first to 100k..

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Congrats on the accomplishment. Are you still on the original clutch? I would also like to know what kind of shape the interior is in? I know on my brothers car, 00 Eclipse GT, the seat started to rip after 60,000. Also I dont thik the headliner has as much to do with the mileage of the car as the age. It shouldnt be sagging after 3 years. You said there are many rattles, explain the ones that are the most noticeable?

Sorry I have a lot of questions. Im like a school boy right Im so excited that the WRX has been proven to the extremes of driving. Especially if you Autocross on a regular basis.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To answer the maintenance questions. I've been using Mobil 1 5w30 since my first oil change. I try and stick to a 3,000 mile interval, although I've gone over a few times. I've done something like 34 oil changes on the car...which means I've got it down to about ten minutes start to finish. I buy Subaru OEM filters and crush washers in bulk from Jamie (AllSubaru.com). I also use Redline oil for the transmission and diffs, which has been changed twice now, with another one planned for next week.

As far as whats gone wrong with the car...

I hit a raccoon at 60mph (on the freeway...) after i had the car about four months. He managed to crack the front lip and crinkle the driver's side front fender (look at the first pic where the fender and bumper meet and you can see it...) as well as break the mounting brackets for the driver's side fog-light. The light still worked, although I eventually replaced it. I've had to replace one windsheild thanks to a gravel truck. Other than that there's been no real issues. I've had about three CELs, two for the cylinder misfire thing (cleared after a driving cycle) and one from when I bumped the throttle linkage adjustment and put it of whack. Thanks for fixing that Austin!

My only real complaint is the paint. My car attracts rock chips like no other car I've owned, and the Subaru paint doesn't stand up to NW driving very well... I've also got plenty of little dimples in the body panels from people breathing on it wrong. But really, that's all minor niggles, the car has performed above and beyond my expectations for a first model year.

I'm buying a STi in the next year or so, but I have no plans to trade or sell my WRX, after all these miles it's part of the family.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts