ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my parts and got them yesterday. I was in need of a tactrix cable and found a friend who is sending it to me next day air so it will be here Monday and i'll be going with TP's stage 2 map. I started the car up just to see what it sounded like... already revs quicker, but not any sort of noticable sound from in the car.

The install went actually quite smoothly. I bought the Turbo XS DP and the AEM CAI. The filter on that thing is just simply MASSIVE!!! After now seeing how it goes into the fender well I can see how it would be basically impossible to have any kind of water issues with it though I know anything is possible.

The OE downpipe came right off with basically no issue. I only sprayed 3 of the bolts with PB blaster because I thought I would need it... I didn't. The car has 2700 miles on it and the bolts all broke loose easily. I know a lot of people have issues with them so I felt very lucky (Thank you Lord) lol.

Eric from TP had gone to a full exhaust I believe and had had a pipe made for his car. I bought it shipped for a good price and it mated up perfectly to the rest of the OE exhaust.

I'm pretty excited to get the cable and get the map flashed so I can get on it a little.

Overall a very good night and the install went very well so i'm happy with it. I'll try to get some pics from my friend who helped me with the install. Credit to him since I have a bad shoulder so a lot of the tighter bolts I had to have him break loose.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Good stuff!

You'll love it with the tune. Nice performance increase for sure.

Make sure to take some time and get the software set up for the cable. Sometimes you have to fight with it a bit to get all the user permissions and drivers squared away. You'll need the cable most likely though.

Also, just in advance, make sure after you flash the map and turn the key to 'off', you turn the key back to 'on' for 10-20 seconds before actually starting the engine. Otherwise it won't start (the starter will just keep going) and will make you pee yourself a little bit.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips... a little pee is ok here and there though

Good stuff!

You'll love it with the tune. Nice performance increase for sure.

Make sure to take some time and get the software set up for the cable. Sometimes you have to fight with it a bit to get all the user permissions and drivers squared away. You'll need the cable most likely though.

Also, just in advance, make sure after you flash the map and turn the key to 'off', you turn the key back to 'on' for 10-20 seconds before actually starting the engine. Otherwise it won't start (the starter will just keep going) and will make you pee yourself a little bit.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I bought the Turbo XS DP and the AEM CAI. The filter on that thing is just simply MASSIVE!!!
Do you really think that's a big filter? It's a relatively standard size for a 4 cylinder. If you really think it's that big, you should see the size of the filters that go on V8 applications, especially forced induction V8s!

The OE downpipe came right off with basically no issue. I only sprayed 3 of the bolts with PB blaster because I thought I would need it... I didn't. The car has 2700 miles on it and the bolts all broke loose easily. I know a lot of people have issues with them so I felt very lucky (Thank you Lord) lol.
I would be amazed if somebody with only 2700 miles on there car had any issues at all getting the bolts off. The only thing that makes them difficult to remove is corrosion (i.e. time and mileage). You didn't need to use any sort of penetrating lube with that sort of mileage on the car. You didn't need to thank me either, but you're welcome! :thumbup:

Any idea on what mods you're going to do next?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A fuel pump, 1 step colder plugs a bigger TMIC and that's it. I want a car able to run about a 12.3-12.5. Eric has said he has a guy on his stage 3 map that runs a 12.4 so that would be fine. I'll get some sway bars, end links and the few brake upgrades and that will be my DD.

Do you really think that's a big filter? It's a relatively standard size for a 4 cylinder. If you really think it's that big, you should see the size of the filters that go on V8 applications, especially forced induction V8s!

I would be amazed if somebody with only 2700 miles on there car had any issues at all getting the bolts off. The only thing that makes them difficult to remove is corrosion (i.e. time and mileage). You didn't need to use any sort of penetrating lube with that sort of mileage on the car. You didn't need to thank me either, but you're welcome! :thumbup:

Any idea on what mods you're going to do next?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I borrowed a cable from a friends friend... thought everything was going to be all set to flash the car. Turned out it was a 1.3 and not a 2.0 cable... so I got pissed off and went ahead and just ordered the cable. It should be here in 2 or 3 days and then I can get all of this done and over with. This is total BS.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
well I borrowed a cable from a friends friend... thought everything was going to be all set to flash the car. Turned out it was a 1.3 and not a 2.0 cable... so I got pissed off and went ahead and just ordered the cable. It should be here in 2 or 3 days and then I can get all of this done and over with. This is total BS.
Get the smallest/cheapest micro sd card you can as well. Standalone logging is amazing. It'll make up for buying the cable on my opinion. Great for even things such as checking for any knock correction or fuel trims on long drives or pulls.

Little bit of learning curve, but I can help you with that sometime if you need a configuration file or some brief pointers.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get the smallest/cheapest micro sd card you can as well. Standalone logging is amazing. It'll make up for buying the cable on my opinion. Great for even things such as checking for any knock correction or fuel trims on long drives or pulls.

Little bit of learning curve, but I can help you with that sometime if you need a configuration file or some brief pointers.
Cool man, I appreciate it. I'm hoping to stay with this set up for a while and get a little more money, add a few other things here and there and then be done. I think some suspension mods are definitely on the list after I get this tune all straight. The car just skates around to much at higher speeds and the brakes and actually pretty terrible lol. I'm going to address that issue as well as soon as I can.

I like the gioves in your pic... who's your fighter?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts