ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I never was satisfied with the Green filter after I got it. You had to trim it to fit and it required oil. At sema I came across AFE that makes a washable reusable non oil filter. Its made from 2 layers of synthetic polymer. Didnt really expect any gains from this mod (other than serviceability), and didn't feel any except did get some noticeable intake noise, short ram style.

Also the AFE is deeper, and actually fits unlike the green. construction appears very sturdy.
Even though the box says its "oiled" on it, its not. They must use that box for all their models. Their oiled filters have yellow filter media FYI

Some crappy pics.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I'm suprised you had problems with the Green.I love mine and it fits like a glove.It was also designed to be trimmed to make sure it fits right.I know it fits 10X better than the K&N I had before it.That AFE looks like it has great construction.Is it a washable dry media like the AEM and Amsiol Ea stuff?It doesn't look to much deeper by the underside lip in the 3rd picture.The media doesn't come down flush.The top lip sits pretty high to giving the filter a taller looking appearance.Still looks good and alot better than the K&N.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I wish somebody out there would do a comprehensive set of dyno tests with all of the different filters and end all of the questions about what they really do...

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm suprised you had problems with the Green.I love mine and it fits like a glove.It was also designed to be trimmed to make sure it fits right.I know it fits 10X better than the K&N I had before it.That AFE looks like it has great construction.Is it a washable dry media like the AEM and Amsiol Ea stuff?It doesn't look to much deeper by the underside lip in the 3rd picture.The media doesn't come down flush.The top lip sits pretty high to giving the filter a taller looking appearance.Still looks good and alot better than the K&N.
Yep its a washable dry type. Supposed to be fully rechargeable by washing with dish soap, and 80% efficient by just vacuuming it.

Heres the description from there website:;

• Oil-free 2-layer synthetic media
  • 100% polyurethane construction will not deteriorate over time to heat or chemical exposure .
  • Washable/reusable media with deepest pleats in the industry.
  • Open consistent pleat distribution for excellent airflow.
  • Progressive bump seal eliminates need for sealing gasket or grease.
http://www.afefilters.com/IntakeSytemstest.php

I wish somebody out there would do a comprehensive set of dyno tests with all of the different filters and end all of the questions about what they really do...
I'd be willing to bet, that K&N, Green and this one would all be within +- 1-2 hp and 1-2 tq. Difference being that you don't have to worry about your MAF getting oily.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tempting.. but its $43.60 now.. the AFe site said $38.39.. suppose $5 doesnt change my mind.
You can call tomorrow.....
advanced FLOW engineering
191 Granite St
Corona, CA 92879 US
P: 951-493-7100
F: 951-493-7177

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well just cleaned it yesterday while doing an oil change. I was very skeptical about their "You can just tap it out and get 90% flow back" claim. I gotta say that they weren't lying.

When I took the filter out, the bottom of it was plugged full of crap. So I lightly tapped it flat onto the work bench and sure enough it came almost all the way clean. I'm not quite sure what the "Synthetic Media" is made out of, but dust does not want to stick to it. I finished it off with a little compressed air and it looked good as new.

What also was pleasing, was the top of the filter in the box looked squeaky clean while the bottom looked horrible. I also used a clean paper towel and wiped up into the air intake in search of a snail trail.....nothing. Overall I am very impressed for a filter that requires no oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts