ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had installed the utec and i am very happy with it so far.I got it Dyno tuned and thank GOD I did. I did a base line of 170awhp and 180awt SAE before the computer was in. Then after 20 pulls or so they got 210awhp and 230awt SAE :D. It is night and day.I was amazed how smooth it is now,and the boost is amazing for stock turbo and only a catback exhaust.I am boosting now 17 to 15 pounds, But in 5 gear it jumps up to 18 to 14 pounds.We had to fine tune it after, cause we gained a extra pound of boost on the road.I was hitting over 20pounds of boost in 5th gear,and my check engine light was comimg on.So he had to back it down to 18 instead.Tony the guy who tuned it for me said my car felt smooth and strong for a car with the cats still on it.I really think that up and down pipe turbo exhaust is going to be in my future :D.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trainrex, I asked him about it and he said that there is no worry about the turbo because of all the rest of the tune is in sinc with the boost levels and the computer adjusts the boost if the turbo gets to much stress that is why the boost goes from 17 to 15 pounds(perfect air fuel, timing, boost levels) . If i just had a mbc it there could be problems.His WRX was at 19 pounds of boost with the turbo back exhaust up&downpipe Header and the boost did not drop either.He put down 280awhp.I was really amazed that the turbo could do this much.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Just within the past week I've put a UTEC in my car.

Just today I (w/ help) put in an Apex'i AVC-R and set my map to Stg2 on the UTEC.

NIGHT......AND.........DAY :D This is w/out a tune, too. I'm so pumped to schedule some dyno/tune time in Orlando @ Central Florida Turbo. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face while driving to work today :D:D:D

:thumbup: :thumbup: for this combination. I know a good amount of people run it and love it.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
MLB427 said:
Trainrex, I asked him about it and he said that there is no worry about the turbo because of all the rest of the tune is in sinc with the boost levels and the computer adjusts the boost if the turbo gets to much stress that is why the boost goes from 17 to 15 pounds(perfect air fuel, timing, boost levels) . If i just had a mbc it there could be problems.His WRX was at 19 pounds of boost with the turbo back exhaust up&downpipe Header and the boost did not drop either.He put down 280awhp.I was really amazed that the turbo could do this much.
I don't know who your tuner is, but... well... that's a load of crap. Yes, your tune may be fine, but that doesn't mean your turbo won't die from the excessive heat. I strongly suggest you not go over the boost levels TurboXS suggests for each stage.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Zem said:
I don't know who your tuner is, but... well... that's a load of crap. Yes, your tune may be fine, but that doesn't mean your turbo won't die from the excessive heat. I strongly suggest you not go over the boost levels TurboXS suggests for each stage.
I didn't think I was wrong on that one, thank you :) Pretty much anything over 16psi +/- .05(at sea level) will put the stock turbo in harms way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys, I think talked me into it. I think I will get the turbo back Exhaust soon.So 17 pounds is a little to much. Cause when I was driving it today I noticed that my boost gause was reading roughly 16.5 to 17 and the it would drop to 14.5 or 15.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
MLB427 said:
You guys, I think talked me into it. I think I will get the turbo back Exhaust soon.So 17 pounds is a little to much. Cause when I was driving it today I noticed that my boost gause was reading roughly 16.5 to 17 and the it would drop to 14.5 or 15.
The stock turbo runs out of air at about 5500 rpm and the boost will drop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts