ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my access port and I already love it best mod I've done so far. Any way I adjusted my flat foot shifting and launch control earlier. I was wondering do you have to unplug it every time you shut off the car or does it turn off automatically.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Has to be unplugged, probably the worst part about the AP

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^ Ok thanks yea that sucks it should have an automatic shut down and then restart when you flip the key to on or accessories.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Yes, that is my only complaint with the AP. Those with some electrical experience have figured out ways to tap the wires and hook up a toggle switch. I remember reading someone's how-to on NASIOC, but it was way too in-depth for me to take on.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Tactrix cable (OpenPort2) is the same way. People have tapped a pin or two from the OBDII connection to the ignition power, but I really don't care that much. Luckily, the OP2 doesn't have an LCD screen or anything I have to worry about burning in.

I figured the Cobb would have that worked out - at least an external input for ignition power. I'm surprised.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't have one, because I need my warranty on my $30k car... I will get one as soon as my warranty expires. Does it have to be hooked up all the time? What does it add when it is hooked up? Has anyone messed with gas saving tunes?

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I don't have one, because I need my warranty on my $30k car... I will get one as soon as my warranty expires. Does it have to be hooked up all the time? What does it add when it is hooked up? Has anyone messed with gas saving tunes?
An AP doesn't "void your warranty." It does not havee to be hooked all the time, just to tune, monitor, and make adjustments. Here's what it adds: www.cobbtuning.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
hi guys, sorry for barging in, but wanted to know if we do use this accessport, wont there be a problem with running rich or lean? And then eventually a ringland failure? I ask because there is a tuner out here where i stay who keeps talking about running lean/rich and how STI/WRX need tuning for 'any' mods carried out or else hell breaks loose on your engine.

i do understand that air intakes, exhaust, bov etc do require the car to be tuned post its installation to address the air flow but, 'any' mods? (by any i mean any air/fuel related)

doesn't this AP also tune on those grounds without any aftermarket products?

yup, this is a noob question! :D

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
The AccessPort is just means for delivering maps to your ECU, with some added bonuses like datalogging and real time sensor monitoring. Those maps contain parameters for your ECU to use, which is why it is so important to follow the map notes set forth by Cobb Tuning. They detail what is and is not acceptable to have on your car while using the particular map you are looking at. So, the AccessPort overwrites the software on your ECU, establishes new table parameters and details, and your car uses those to calculate fueling, timing, and boost. If those parameters are set for something like just an intake, and a turbo back exhaust for example (stage 2 + <brand of intake>) and you crank up the boost using a manual boost controller, you risk engine damage from going outside of those map parameters.

Anything you do to your car mechanically that affects engine performance has to be accounted for in the tune. Which is where custom tuning comes into play. Anything outide of those map parameters you can have tuned for by a professional. Many of those tuners will create maps using the AccessPort software so you can have the map loaded on your AccessPort permanently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts