ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
BooSTIng
2,917 Posts
I mean if we are talking swaps here..... Ill throw my 2 cents in. RB26 engine. What would be sweeter than a inline 6 cylinder out of a skyline, and still having AWD. WIN/WIN. lol. Billetworkz car has this exact swap. And it is eye candy.

·
12,268 Posts
I’m not familiar with any of the engine models and I haven’t done much research , that’s another reason why I’m asking, I should have been more specific , I have a automatic transmission .. would it make more sense to swap out the motor and get a full manual transmission all together . I dont want the automatics transmission.. i know of swapping out the block . And using the same head
The engine in your car is the ej205. Down the road they changed the wrx to the 2.5l engine that was the ej255. The sti on the other hand has been the ej257 in the US since introduction.

In essence those are the 3 engines you are concerned with. There are other swaps available, but those are the engines most people will be familiar with building. Parts and support will be the most common and being available in the us will be legal to swap into your car.

·
Æternum
21,311 Posts
I mean if we are talking swaps here..... Ill throw my 2 cents in. RB26 engine. What would be sweeter than a inline 6 cylinder out of a skyline, and still having AWD. WIN/WIN. lol. Billetworkz car has this exact swap. And it is eye candy.
Yes, but you know the level of fabrication required to make that happen was insane. They literally had to chop the firewall and position in back in the chassis 10cm. Then there was the transmission tunnel modification and rear end modification.

At that point, we have totally eclipsed the concept of "swap" and ended up in the realm of custom fabrication.

Anything is possible, but reason often stands in the way.

·
BooSTIng
2,917 Posts
Yes, but you know the level of fabrication required to make that happen was insane. They literally had to chop the firewall and position in back in the chassis 10cm. Then there was the transmission tunnel modification and rear end modification.

At that point, we have totally eclipsed the concept of "swap" and ended up in the realm of custom fabrication.

Oh yeah I know. Tons of fab work. Doesn’t make it any less badass. Just not very ideal. Lol.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
331 Posts
Broh .....that’s a disgrace I need helpful advice please be more serious
What's a disgrace?
I'm assuming, considering your recent posts, you won't be doing the work yourself, so why are you on a forum asking questions instead of in a local Subaru shop familiarizing yourself with the platform? What you want is a Transmission Swap. Why do you need a new motor? You can go with the factory 5spd or spend some extra cash and look into an STI 6spd Swap.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got bought a GEM for 400$ 2002 wrx wagon 188k with automatic transmission .. I’m looking to go with a motor and manual transmission swap ! What would be my best options to go with ?? Asking for a friend View attachment 327529 View attachment 327530
Just got bought a GEM for 400$ 2002 wrx wagon 188k with automatic transmission .. I’m looking to go with a motor and manual transmission swap ! What would be my best options to go with ?? Asking for a friend View attachment 327529 View attachment 327530
Hi...why??...what's wrong with the engine it has in it? Somethings you will lose by some bodgey engine swap are covered by other replies.You will also lose any insurance claim with the vague possibility of overcoming that if the car fully passed by the appropriate enfineer. You will devalue the car after spending thousands to less than what you paid for it and reduceyour market to a few 'stupids' as mentioned by some. The engine costs are only the start. Speeding and reckless driving fines come later.

It's a very nice looking car at a price that would send me to checking its history and you want to turn it into a 'pus-box'. but why? If it's more grunt you want that's easily obtained from your existing engine. If you get into banging in some other engine and losing 4WD and horizontal piston advantages irrespective of the engineering theoory it will never be as good as what you have. Subaru designed every aspect of the car to work together not for a hotrod put together by rumour.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Zax and Stilleto don't think you are even making a dent. It's such a nice looking car....could someone buy it from him and save it....then he can by a Skyline already built by a company that knows how to build Skylines...of course maybe then he'll 'click'on replacing the Skyline six....maybe with a 2.5 Subaru.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Subaru auto is quite a good transmisison...It sounds as though this very nice looking bugey is not long for this world. Once stuffed by manic "anything Subaru can do I can do better' there's no coming back. That crack running under the car might be sypbolic. My advice stems from the car being too good to ruin ..Sell the car to someone who appreciates it and buy yourself an old Maserati or Newish Alfa manual gearbox model and let this one rest in the arms of someone who loves it and will care for it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts