ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just got an 06 wrx limited. and i was wondering what your recommendations are on mods trying to get it up to 300hp range. i looked up the spec sheet and it said it comes stock around 230. i was thinking about getting a cobb AP and a new down pipe exhaust etc.

also do you guys know which turbo is in it. it is the VF43?

thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
td04 is the stock turbo.

i have an 06 with an AP and downpipe and i'm only making 240WHP on a dynojet dyno.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I had an 07 WRX. I did COBB AP, DP, STI Intercooler, VF39 turbo (2006 STI turbo). Per the notes on the map I was using, I was pulling well over 300 at the crank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found some vf 39 rebuilds on ebay. i was just wondering if anyone had bought any and if they were safe. also if i do decide to bump up to a vf 39. what size injectors should i get? 550 650? or can i still run the same ones.

thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Grimmspeed TGV Deletes
DW 850CC
Grimmspeed ported manifolds
invidia downpipe
dw 300 fuel pump
turbo inlet
spt intake
vf43
perrin up pipe
sti tmic

309hp/320ft lbs at the tires on 92 pump gas

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
DO NOT buy a rebuilt VF series turbo. They are not "rebuildable" to factory spec.

Btw... your goal is 300hp at the engine, right? Because the rest of the group is quoting 300 at the wheels. If you want 300 at the engine, downpipe and tune should get you close enough. If you want 300 at the wheels, vf series should get you closer... with supporting modifications of course :D

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I personally wouldnt waste the money on a vf series turbo.. Id get a nice TMIC, and a nice blouch turbo and make a safe reliable tune

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I personally wouldnt waste the money on a vf series turbo.. Id get a nice TMIC, and a nice blouch turbo and make a safe reliable tune
Its a $ trade-off... I got my VF39 used on ebay. Paid $250 for it, and it looked great when I got it and worked for what I wanted for 15K miles.

I also got my STI TMIC used, paid $200 for it. Took a lot to get it cleaned up, but it worked great.

To get my WRX to well over 300 at the crank (I think the map said 370hp), I spent:

$500 COBB AP (new)
$600 COBB DP (new)
$200 STI TMIC (used)
$250 VF39 (used)

$1450 Total, not bad in my opinion. Since the mods work well together or seperate, I pretty much bought them in that order so I was never spending a ton of money all at once.

I agree there are better turbos out there, but not for $250 that was plug-n-play with my WRX.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
are you saying it only worked for 15,000 miles? im a little bit confused

Sorry, after reading my post I can understand I was not clear.

No, it worked fine. I sold the parts to other people locally who are still using them. I ended up returning the car to stock to trade in and buy my '11 STI. When I saw the pictures at the auto show when the '11 was announced, I had to have it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts