Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally bit the bullet and decided it was time to retire my transmission and shell out the cash for a brand new IPT transmission. Best idea I ever had. The car feels awesome. No more free-reving, no more getting stuck on hills, no more 5 second delay from reverse to drive and going "come on subie move forward, its okay"

It shifts great. Virtually no lag when manually shifting the gears, down shifts like a dream. I got the full transmission with the new modified valve body and new torque converter. A++ to IPT. The longest part of the whole thing was getting the trans out of the car, and the freight shipping from Las Vegas, NV to New Jersey.

If you have seen me post before or know me you know like always I did it all in my garage, without a lift, and without a transmission jack/stand. It took some muscle and about 5 people to get it back in the car. 2 people underneath the car, 1 person in each wheel well checking to see when it was lined up, and one person on top directing and lining things up.

It was about a month of down time but 4 days was getting the transmission out of the car (we took out time and got stuck on stupid things like rusted bolts) and 1.5 weeks shipping there, 3-4 days at IPT, 1 week shipping back, and about 4-5 hours putting every thing back the way it came. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I am a pro and this stuff by now LOL.

IPT Performance Transmissions Torque Converters and Transmission Parts for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Import vehicles

·
Registered
555 Posts
why not change to a 6 speed manual

·
Registered
2,311 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why not change to a 6 speed manual
Why would I when I can go just as fast as an STI and not have to shift. It's personally more fun for me and a lot funnier when someone makes fun of your silly little automatic and then you beat them.

And my other car is a manual and I do know how to drive stick. :tongue:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Why would I when I can go just as fast as an STI and not have to shift. It's personally more fun for me and a lot funnier when someone makes fun of your silly little automatic and then you beat them.

And my other car is a manual and I do know how to drive stick. :tongue:
yea i was just askin because the 6 speed can hold more power. what kind of setup r you running. it say ur in nevada where at!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Built automatics are always a treat, especially when they're setup properly for your power output and power band. If you haven't already, make sure you get a nice big trans cooler for that thing...
+1:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
how much power are those IPT transmissions rated for? I looked on their website but i couldn't find a number.

Im interested in doing this myself someday....any word on the longterm maintenance/reliability of that tranny?

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
duh, cuz girls can't drive stick

:rotfl:
thats not true!! I have a 6sp FSTi and I love it!!!!! (not in bumper to bumper traffic on the way home from work though... lol)

And auto wrx's ROCK!! I have one!

Nice upgrade Girl! Are you gonna run it down the track soon?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want one too!!!

Any tips on shipping the tranny?

joe
Ratchet down tie down straps & I left on the trans mount and bolted it to the pallet. I think I bolted a board to the front of the trans to hold the TC on.

In regards to tracking it soon...I sadly have not made it to the track yet. I want to soon I have just been soooooo busy with school the last year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i was just askin because the 6 speed can hold more power. what kind of setup r you running. it say ur in nevada where at!
Current Engine Modifications:
VF34 Turbo
Samco Intercooler Hoses
Agency Power Fuel Rail
Agency Power Up-Pipe
Turbo-Back exhaust with VES boost controlled exhaust cut out
Cobb StreetTUNER AccessPORT Tuned by Clark Turner
STi 565cc Pink Injectors
TurboXS Manual Boost Controller
SSAutoChrome FMIC
ARC BOV
SPT Short Ram Intake
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

Current Transmission Modifications:
IPT Fully Built 4EAT Automatic Transmission
IPT Modified Valve Body
IPT Custom High-Stall Torque Converter
Long Tru Cool LPD External Transmission Cooler
Long Tru- Cool LPD Transmission Cooler
Click here for more info on IPT Transmissions (IPT Performance Transmissions Torque Converters and Transmission Parts for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Import vehicles)

I live in Henderson, NV...15 mins from the Las Vegas Strip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I finally bit the bullet and decided it was time to retire my transmission and shell out the cash for a brand new IPT transmission. Best idea I ever had. The car feels awesome. No more free-reving, no more getting stuck on hills, no more 5 second delay from reverse to drive and going "come on subie move forward, its okay"

It shifts great. Virtually no lag when manually shifting the gears, down shifts like a dream. I got the full transmission with the new modified valve body and new torque converter. A++ to IPT. The longest part of the whole thing was getting the trans out of the car, and the freight shipping from Las Vegas, NV to New Jersey.

If you have seen me post before or know me you know like always I did it all in my garage, without a lift, and without a transmission jack/stand. It took some muscle and about 5 people to get it back in the car. 2 people underneath the car, 1 person in each wheel well checking to see when it was lined up, and one person on top directing and lining things up.

It was about a month of down time but 4 days was getting the transmission out of the car (we took out time and got stuck on stupid things like rusted bolts) and 1.5 weeks shipping there, 3-4 days at IPT, 1 week shipping back, and about 4-5 hours putting every thing back the way it came. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I am a pro and this stuff by now LOL.

IPT Performance Transmissions Torque Converters and Transmission Parts for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Import vehicles
Hey how has the transmission held up since then, I know its been over 10 years you've had yours assuming the posted date is correct. Im thinking about getting the IPT 4EAT for my 04 WRX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts