ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GAH took me like 3 hours to do it. Well with cigarette breaks...

But man, first I dropped the screw that holds that bracket (forget wtf its called; the one in the front) under the inlet hose and it landed right on top of the engine in the perfect spot to barely be able to see it but have no possible way of grabbing it. I had to pull the whole dang inlet hose back off to fetch it.

THEN I dropped that stupid small hose clamp in the SAME SPOT. I felt like a true idiot the second time. Had to take it back off again. :oops:

And then one of the vacuum lines straight up cracked in half when I put it on the new hose. (I'm at just over 100k miles) So what I did was cut a piece of coolant hose off and put it in its place so I can drive to the Subaru dealership to buy a new one. I'm picking up a new throttle body gasket too. The old one kinda ripped in half in one place, but it's not too bad and I had to put it back on b/c I have no other way to get to the dealership... Hope my engine doesn't explode on my way over there.

Anyways I just had to come vent to you guys. I'm sure my gf wouldn't understand wtf I'm talking about. Or care...

Hey BTW does anyone in Socal (Pasadena area) have a drill I can borrow in a few weeks? I'm gonna be ordering some koni inserts and springs and I don't have a drill for the installation of the konis. I would go buy one but this will honestly be the only time I ever use it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh boy I got problems. Boost in 4th gear is hitting close to 20psi, (I have an MPa readout ~.14), I had fuel cut on the freeway, and CEL codes;
p0244 Wastegate control solenoid valve malfunction (high input) and
p0442 Evaporative emission control system malfunction

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I broke some vacuum lines- one for the BCS (that stands for boost control solenoid, right?) and one in the evap system. It was hard to tell because they broke right in half, but stayed in the same position so they didn't look broken. $80 OBDII code reader and $54 at the dealer for some vaccum hoses. I just got all of the BCS and evap hoses though cuz if one's bad you know the others are. I even thought about just buying every damn vacuum hose for the car and replacing them all but I'm not exactly rich.

I'm not tuned but I think I'll get one soon; I'm all stock cept for gutted downpipe and the perrin inlet hose. And yeah I don't think it was really 20psi- isn't the stock ecu suppose to cut off at like 18psi? Maybe the vacuum leak messed with my gauge, or maybe it just spiked that high before the ecu cut it off. Or maybe I'm just finally losing my mind!

And lol right before my engine cut out on the freeway I was thinking "holy ****, this inlet hose it like the best mod EvARRR jeez zomg so much power what in the hell?" and then BAM engine shuts down and CEL pops up. HAHAHahAHAHA.

Man if I could boost the stock system reliably at 18psi I'd be one happy dude. Felt like I was driving a fast car again.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never heard of the samco. Too late now! I like the perrin, seems quality. Just wish they didn't tell me to cut off part of that one vacuum line that goes to the intercooler mounted thingy; now it barely reaches! It was a betoch to get on there, too. Also that one bung is super ridiculous to access, I put the 90* fitting in it before it was all the way on the turbo the 2nd and 3rd time I put it in. Whatever though, it's on there for good now!

I love the "I wasn't thinking, just sawing" line... I know exactly how that feels. I bet a fair amount of cursing was involved too.

Maybe if I just stopped calling my car such dirty mean names while I was working on it, it wouldn't treat me so bad. She is an ugly old ass licking peece-ah-sheet mudderfugger though!

My new vacuum lines and throttle body gasket will come in on monday. Until then they're held together with duct tape and super glue- literally.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
The turbo inlet is one of the most loathsome installs out there. I was less than kind with my verbiage as the install went south.

It is on now, be proud! :)

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
The perrin is the best silicon inlet right now... You made a good choice. It's just a pain to install. But the nice part of the whole bit? The nipples aren't installed until after you put the inlet on... makes it a lot easier :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The turbo inlet is one of the most loathsome installs out there. I was less than kind with my verbiage as the install went south.

It is on now, be proud! :)
Yes I've had bad luck with my project choices so far; gutting the up pipe was a PITA, turbo inlet was a PITA... and unfortunately my next project is valve cover gaskets because my 18psi pull turned my oil seepage into full blown leaking. Actually I'm not sure how hard that will be; I need to look at the FSM but as far as I can see it's about 16 bolts harder than changing the spark plugs.

I hope my koni/rce spring install in a couple weeks goes easily.

But as frustrating as it is, and as much as my back hurts right now, at the end of the day I always feel proud that I did it myself!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The perrin is the best silicon inlet right now... You made a good choice. It's just a pain to install. But the nice part of the whole bit? The nipples aren't installed until after you put the inlet on... makes it a lot easier :D
I'm very happy with it. I thought it was very clever to leave the nipples off like they did... and the selling point was actually that the install was the "simplest" of the inlets I looked at. (Plus it definitely looked the most stock; CA smog is a beech.)

I just wish the aluminum coupler would fit in the stock intake a little tighter, but it's a small gripe b/c they did include a hose clamp with it. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Valve cover gaskets are simple.. Might as well do spark plugs while your there. makes it a little easier to get out/in with the covers off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts