Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took off the car dealer sticker and the AWD emblem, so it still looks cleaner than this morning...

BUT I tried to plastidip the Subaru and WRX emblems and holy hell do I suck at plastidip. Anybody else had problems getting it to adhere on all the faces of emblems? I feel like I couldn't spray at a steeper angle than I was, and it was abysmal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Clean emblems with rubbing alcohol to prep.

Tape off area surrounding emblems, leaving like 1" gap.

Shake hell out of can. Hold upside down, spray, this clears nozzle.

Spray a very LIGHT base coat of plastidip with a sweeping horizontal motion.

Depending on garage temperature, wait anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.

Proceed with heavier coats. Do like four coats with time in between, five total counting base.

Should look good. Don't do it outside (wind/dust picks up and screws it up). Do it in a garage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've more or less done it how tokksic has described, although I usually don't have the patience to wait that long between coats. The "WRX" and "SUBARU symmetrical awd" badges actually turned out pretty well, although I've since debadged all except the WRX. After a couple winters the WRX is starting to look a little rough, and so I just bought a new black replacement that I'll put on in the spring.

Dipping the side fender badges has never worked out. I tried to dip them three different times and I never could get it to peel off the paint without also pulling a bit off the edge of the badge. I finally gave up and bought black replacements for both of them as well, and they look so much better than my half-assed efforts to dip and place a decal.

There is a YouTuber going by the name Hqen2000 who bought a bunch of them from the manufacturer overseas and is selling them for very reasonable prices on ebay and amazon right now. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. He has a cool channel on doing inexpensive mods to his WRX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts