ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got an 05 WRX and was gonna start looking into modifications. I have about 500$ to spend and am curious on what it would be best spent on.

Performance, look, or for just ****s. What should I look into. If you have websites that I should be looking at please post links aswell..

Thanks alot everyone.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
normally some people would tell you to do the search because this question had been beaten to death! however, since it is a simple question that can be answered quickly, i will give you a word of advice.

upipe, and mbc should cost no more than 500 installed....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WiCkeDrEx said:
normally some people would tell you to do the search because this question had been beaten to death! however, since it is a simple question that can be answered quickly, i will give you a word of advice.

upipe, and mbc should cost no more than 500 installed....

Ya I bet it has been asked. But what the hell.

Also what is an mbc? noob question.

Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
MBC= Manual Boost Controller

As for the up-pip try to find one used there a dime a dozen, and they all do the same thing. Lots of debate wether or not a flex up-pipe or solid up-pipe is better its all good afaic. Look on ebay if you want for the ERZ up/downpipe combo as well very cheap and great gains.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I seriously say we make a new sticky entitled like First Mods or something so its easier for people to see.

But anyway, like WiCkeDrEx said, up pipe and mbc you *could* be able to find for well under $500.

Theres an eBay company selling up pipes for like $80, Joe P mbc is about $45 (or you could build one for $15), then I would look into a down pipe. After that some other cheap mods are: intercooler pipes, crank pulley and STi hood scoop (doesn't really affect hp but definitely brings in more air then the stock scoop).

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
the uppipe and boost controller is a good idea, but if you don't really know what your doing, i'd stay away from those and have engine management as your first mod. i'll always say cobb is a good way to go for power, yet reliability. The stage one accessport is $600, but gives you 265 hp on 93 octane. only downfall is you have to wait a while...they are on backorder:(

·
Registered
598 Posts
save up some more money and get some 17s and nice tires. i would wait till break in is over till you start doing engine mods. i wouldn't put an MBC on an 04+ rex either, get an accessport or some other kind of real enginemanagement. oh and remove the damn intake silencer asap.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah i also thought someone told me that it isnt safe putting a MBC on and 04+ wrx...?

·
Registered
956 Posts
umm accessport :thumbup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
free mod..intake silencer removal!! free up some ponies
uppipe!! no more than $200..
mbc!! no more than 80 bux..
that will get you started!!
oh and welcome to the club!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
NO

NO MBC, unless you would like to have a damaged 05 WRX real soon!

Get the Helix Up Pipe/Downpipe combo, free up so me flow and then when you get some extra money finish off your exhaust with the catback. You can get the helix for $450.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Neothin said:
if i was you, i would at least wait until you've gone through all of the break-in procedures before you start modding it.
Its not like this is the first car I have ever owned...

My 2001 toyota tacoma caught on fire on tuesday so i had to get a new car. Some electrical fire while it was parked, very strange. My father is my insurance agent so I got the money for the truck real fast and decided a WRX is what I wanted.

Anyways, thanks for the info everyone.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i'd remove the intake silencer, get a down pipe, up pipe, and a cat back, you'll love the sounds coming from your car with all these mods done, i got a catless up and dp for my car for $180 (gutted the stock up), then i had a cat back made for $50, shop around you find some good deals, and look in the tutorial section for some cheap or near cheap mods you can do;)
good luck with the rex

1 - 20 of 20 Posts