ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to Salt Lake City in 2 weeks. I am leaving the Navy and driving from VA Beach down to FL and then to PHX and then UT.

I just bought the WRX Hatch today. I wasn't expecting to, it just happened :) It is pretty damn sweet.

SO......what tires should I run? SNOW is on its way.

I am brand new to AWD. I want to get up the mountains with no problems in reasonable snow conditions as I snowboard and do a lot of other outdoor activities.

Can I run an all-season tire? It would be cheapest obviously.

MY SNOW DRIVING IS NOT GOING TO BE RALLY RACING WANNABE STYLE....JUST NORMAL DRIVING. SAFE DRIVING.

Thanks guys. I can't wait to get to UT.

Jay:cool:

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

I run Hankook Ventus V12 Evos in the summer and Bridgestone Blizzak LM60s for the Winter. Both configurations are of the 225/45/R17 variety.

Dedicated summer/winter setups is without a doubt the superior choice. I would highly recommend this over all-seasons.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Welcome to Utah, almost. :) I run an all-season during the winter that's M+S rated, just the Falken Ziex ZE-512's, but I don't go into the mountains very often, if at all, but I never have problems. I'm usually the guy laughing at all of the FWD and RWD cars spinning tires at every intersection. If you're sure you're going into the mountains, definitely invest in some dedicated winter tires. Blizzak's are a bit spendy, but you won't want for anything with those. Winters in the canyons can be brutal, trust me I used to drive through the big one (Parley's) every day, and you can't really count on the plows.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
If at all possible go with a dedicated winter/summer setup. As said the V12 Evos are great summer tires as well as Dunlop Direzza Starspecs and a number of others. I run Nitto NT555's in the summer and Yokohoma ice guards in winter and have been thoroughly pleased. Blizzaks are a great winter as well. If that isn't possible then just buy a set of winter tires (check used classifieds on here any regional forum) and keep your stock tires for when summer rolls around

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

I run Hankook Ventus V12 Evos in the summer and Bridgestone Blizzak LM60s for the Winter. Both configurations are of the 225/45/R17 variety.

Dedicated summer/winter setups is without a doubt the superior choice. I would highly recommend this over all-seasons.
This is EXACTLY the setup I run (except 245/40/17 in summers, and 225/45/17 in winter).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to replace the tires now as they aren't in the greatest condition as is. I don't want to drive 1700 miles on winter tires as i assume I will probably ruin them. Geeze....this car is already expensive, ha ha.

Oh well.

I can't wait to get back. Virginia Beach is allright in the summer, but it is a beach that surrounds a ginormus strip mall. That is how I think of it. N. VA is better, near DC and west. Charlottesville is beautiful (HOME OF PRESIDENT JEFFERSON aka MONTICELLO)

If anyone has any cheap rims they want to let go of for the winter, let me know. I am down to buy some when I get in to Salt Lake. I could do dedicated winter wheels this way.

Thanks.
Jay

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I need to replace the tires now as they aren't in the greatest condition as is. I don't want to drive 1700 miles on winter tires as i assume I will probably ruin them. Geeze....this car is already expensive, ha ha.

Oh well.

I can't wait to get back. Virginia Beach is allright in the summer, but it is a beach that surrounds a ginormus strip mall. That is how I think of it. N. VA is better, near DC and west. Charlottesville is beautiful (HOME OF PRESIDENT JEFFERSON aka MONTICELLO)

If anyone has any cheap rims they want to let go of for the winter, let me know. I am down to buy some when I get in to Salt Lake. I could do dedicated winter wheels this way.

Thanks.
Jay
I concur.. and the beach really isn't that great. Before you leave out man ya gotta get out to a saturday subaru meet at towncenter though. pm me if you want details. Tire wise, given what you've detailed for where you're going to be and what you'll be doing I'd go with a good all season for now. Once you get settled and have space to store a second set of wheels.. buy a summer wheel set, run winters on the factory wheels and dedicated summer sneakers on the new wheels.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Why would driving 1700 miles on winter tires ruin them? As long as the outside/pavement temp is ~50 degrees or below, they'll wear just fine. I wouldn't do it if it was over 60ish, but at this time of year, that shouldn't be at all an issue.

Blizzaks get good reviews, but I'm much more a fan of Dunlop Winter Sports.

For summer tires, I'm not really a huge fan of the V12. They tend to get very good reviews, but my experience with them hasn't been great. They supposedly get longer tire life than other high performance options with almost the same level of grip, but for a good bit less money. However, I don't find they really get any more miles, and the grip level is definitely significantly lower than some of the other options out there for not that much more money. I won't be buying them again.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
Blizzaks get good reviews, but I'm much more a fan of Dunlop Winter Sports.
Yeah I agree with this. I wanted the WinterSport 3Ds, but they were backordered by 2 months on TireRack.

and the grip level is definitely significantly lower than some of the other options out there for not that much more money. I won't be buying them again.
The Hankook Ventus are definitely much more "squishy" on the limit than most Summer Performance tires, but I don't think the grip is significantly less than the Direzza Star Specs. Then again, this is on my Bugeye and not your 911 Turbo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts