ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a beautiful ‘02 wrx wagon clean as hell has a some stuff done to it has a stage 1 tune with a Cobb accessport a mishimoto radiator hyperflow intercooler but I really wanna get this thing banging so any insight would be helpful also what is the best oil to use for the wrx?

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
Just got a beautiful ‘02 wrx wagon clean as hell has a some stuff done to it has a stage 1 tune with a Cobb accessport a mishimoto radiator hyperflow intercooler but I really wanna get this thing banging so any insight would be helpful also what is the best oil to use for the wrx?
Subaru oil works pretty darn good. So does any good quality synthetic like penzoil. I personally would use motul now as rotella changed formulas a little and it's not the same.

You can modify as big as you can spend, most people modify beyond what they can spend as well. Just depends on what you want

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,688 Posts
Are you pretty sure about what mods have been done to it? Stage 1 and an intercooler on those bugeye WRX's is an interesting combination, if that's it.
I owned 2 of them, over the years, at various degree of modification. Best bang for the buck is a Stage 2, i.e., turboback exhaust, uppipe and either an off-the-shelf Cobb map for it, or a dyno tune if the budget is there for it. It was a big difference over stock, really brought the engine to life.
I'm assuming that the engine is healthy, of course.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you pretty sure about what mods have been done to it? Stage 1 and an intercooler on those bugeye WRX's is an interesting combination, if that's it.
I owned 2 of them, over the years, at various degree of modification. Best bang for the buck is a Stage 2, i.e., turboback exhaust, uppipe and either an off-the-shelf Cobb map for it, or a dyno tune if the budget is there for it. It was a big difference over stock, really brought the engine to life.
I'm assuming that the engine is healthy, of course.
Welcome to the forum!

Yeah man I’m positive that’s what’s been done to it this is my first wrx I’ve ever owned but I know what the stuff looks like I agree it is a weird combination and I’m planning on running a stage 2 tune as the guy above you said it’s the most bang for the buck i heard rotella t6 5w-40 is the best oil for what I’m going to use it for it’s also pretty well taken care of I got her for 1500$ with minimal work needing to be done basically just a coolant leak which I made sure that’s what it was and not the head gasket but thank you for welcoming me lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subaru oil works pretty darn good. So does any good quality synthetic like penzoil. I personally would use motul now as rotella changed formulas a little and it's not the same.

You can modify as big as you can spend, most people modify beyond what they can spend as well. Just depends on what you want

Appreciate it dude and what did rotella exactly change? I heard that was THE best oil for wrxs hands down that’s what I was leaning towards but thanks for welcoming me lol

·
Super Modulator
19,282 Posts
Appreciate it dude and what did rotella exactly change? I heard that was THE best oil for wrxs hands down that’s what I was leaning towards but thanks for welcoming me lol
Yeah, most of us ran Brotella at some point or another. It's good and cheap, but it's not energy conserving and doesn't meet API's GF-5. Your fuel economy will tank.

Truth is that nearly all modern full-synthetic GF-5 lubricants (when regularly changed in combination with oil filter) will work just fine for the lifetime of the engine. There may be some subtle differences that Blackstone and others document over at BobIsTheOilGuy (BITOG), but your Subaru body panels will rust and fall off long before those subtle differences become a problem.

Subarus in general are pitiful when it comes to oil consumption and change interval, particularly for a company that markets itself as "environmentally conscious." The 6000 mile OCI on a modern Subaru is laughable when some manufacturers are moving to a 15,000 mile OCI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
zax
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing