ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All .. I stumbled onto this website a few weeks back and I've been addicted to it ever since. There is a TON of good information for a Newbie like me. Anyhow I just bought a '03 WRX and Im wondering is it a MUST to use the Premium (91 Octane) Gasoline in it?? The previous owner used premium so Im wondering if its a MUST to stay with the same gas. Thanks in advance..

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
It is absolutely a MUST. The car was designed to run with it.
The car will technically "run" on the lower grade stuff, but your ECU will pull timing, resulting in degraded performance and possibly smoothness.

The WRX isn't really the right car to have if you're looking to cut corners. :)

Welcome to the forum. The stickies at the top of this forum are uber-helpful.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
It is absolutely a MUST. The car was designed to run with it.
The car will technically "run" on the lower grade stuff, but your ECU will pull timing, resulting in degraded performance and possibly smoothness.

The WRX isn't really the right car to have if you're looking to cut corners. :)

Welcome to the forum. The stickies at the top of this forum are uber-helpful.
+1</p>
... .........Welcome to the club!:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
welcome and grats on the bugeye! personally only shell v-power goes into my tank. (and race gas for the track of course) :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,205 Posts
If you are in a large metro area or I guess almost anywhere in the western hemisphere octane rating matters much more than brand, as it's likely most will be of acceptable quality anyway.

If you are stuck in the desert and your only choice is low octane or you'll be stranded, use what you can get, but don't use anything below 91 unless you absolutely have zero choice, and I mean zero.

All this isn't a secret, it's in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You very much for all the replies. My intention is certainly not to cut corners but rather use what the actual car calls for. Thanks alot :) Im sure they'll be more newbie q's to come

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot for the info ! I certainly am not wishing to cut corners but I mainly need to know what the intended fuel is for the car. Thanks Alot !

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
see the links in my sig

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
see the links in my sig
Thanks Micah .. So far the mods on the vehicle include :
Downpipe Exhaust
ARC Super Induction Box
New slotted Rotors (Not Sure about Brakes)
TurboXS BOV
Front Strut Bar
CF Hood

I noticed the second thing in your link that you listed was "Engine Management" .. Was does that entail?

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts