Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my name is Nate and yesterday I purchased a brand new 2018 WRX almost base (it has a few options haha). I am absolutely loving it. I was dailying a 2007 Legacy SE so this thing is loads more fun. My 'project' car is a 2003 Evo 8 so I come from the dark side :eek3:

Here's a few questions I have: (I am leasing so also keep that in mind, I do plan on buying the thing outright at the end however.

1. Will a nameless muffler delete void my warranty? This is the first car I've owned with a warranty and there's no way I'm breaking it. I have my Evo if I really got the mod bug however I do want a bit of noise, its weird driving a quick manual car that makes very little sound coming from my open dump VTA Evo haha.

2. Does anyone make any seat lowering brackets or rails? I'm a tall dude, I am probably 6'4" +/- 1" and I feel like I am sitting on top of this car, they make them for evo's so I thought I would see if they do for this aswell.

3. Would putting LED C-lights void any sort of warranty? I don't think this one would aside from maybe voiding any warranty claim having to do with the headlights.

4. What other must have mods are there? Aside from an exhaust I am really looking to leave the suspension and engine alone. I have been looking at lists but they're all for 2015-2017 and I know they changed some things up in this 2018 model such as the shifter.

Thanks for reading dudes! I have a bunch to learn. The last 3.5 years of my life have been focused on learning the Evo platform haha.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
No modification can void your warranty. A modification can cause a claim to be denied, if the aftermarket part is the cause. For example, a muffler delete won't impact your window switches from being replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
370 Posts
how long are your legs? im 6'5" with a 29" inseam and i have a good inch of headroom when sitting up straight, 2-3 inches when relaxing a little.

from my 2 months of ownership id say an ap is a "must have mod", ive decided to go to the dark side quite early on. but of coarse for someone looking to keep their warranty as bulletproof as possible, an ap is a horrible idea.

·
Registered
338 Posts
cat back wont give Subaru heartburn with regard to warranty
A Tune will likely red flag your powertrain warranty and you need a tune with any airbox or J-pipe change etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long are your legs? im 6'5" with a 29" inseam and i have a good inch of headroom when sitting up straight, 2-3 inches when relaxing a little.

from my 2 months of ownership id say an ap is a "must have mod", ive decided to go to the dark side quite early on. but of coarse for someone looking to keep their warranty as bulletproof as possible, an ap is a horrible idea.
I have plenty of head room I just feel like I am sitting really high up in the car. I heard something about the bolts for the seat being oblong so you can loosen them and move the seat rails down further, do you know anything about this? I would love an AP as I have heard it will fix the rev hang and a few other little issues but I do know that subaru can see when the ECU was flashed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't think of anything that a simple muffler delete would screw with, it shouldn't change the back pressure much at all and even then a change in back pressure shouldn't screw with much. Am I missing anything? Sounds like I would be good to go?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have plenty of head room I just feel like I am sitting really high up in the car. I heard something about the bolts for the seat being oblong so you can loosen them and move the seat rails down further, do you know anything about this? I would love an AP as I have heard it will fix the rev hang and a few other little issues but I do know that subaru can see when the ECU was flashed.
i did not know about being able to lower the seat further, that does interest me tho. i feel like im sitting high up too but thats just a fact of life for us giants.

yea they can see when the ecu is flashed, i am risking it, if the motor blows ill pay for a new oem engine and sell the car. what to replace it with i have no idea, im really hoping it never comes to that ofc...

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
Unless things have changed, a Cobb AP is your best mod by far, and with a stock tune, nothing else is needed. It also has the ability to be "unloaded" so that any inspections done will not be able to detect the downloading of any tuning maps.The best bang for buck is a filter/intake, Cobb AP, larger catback exhaust (especially if you like the noise which I think you do). You can also put in a high flow cat, or just the high flow cat without the exhaust. I had a 2007 LGT with just the downpipe and cat delete with a Cobb AP and that thing was a major sleeper back in the day. For the muffler delete, a straight pipe should work fine and you will still have the stock muffler to keep if needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ya.. Subaru doesn't exactly design the current WRX with tall folks in mind. Have you had the fun experience of trying to sit in one with a moonroof?

Any exhaust modification AFTER the 'j-pipe' (which houses the catalytic converters) does just about nothing in regards to warranty or power gains, they are mainly for exhaust sound changes.

A Cobb AP is deff on the 'must have' list.. but being a lease makes that a little more iffy since you don't own the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts