Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i found an Automatic 04 2.5TS wagon 150k miles for sale locally for $2k and i bought it. First time subaru owner here so I'm basally in the dark with everything. Went to change out one of the head lamp bulbs and lifted the passenger side air box up and it had NO FILTER INSIDE :whoa: Praying there is some kind of filter before the throttle body just behind the engine. Anyway i was wondering what new air filter/intake filter system you all would suggest, "best bang for the buck" and all that jazz. AEM, COBB, K&N all come to mind. Also the stock exhaust is rusted to hell and just sounds awful. Would love to hear some suggestion on what would be a nice new exhaust system from the heads back that won't break the bank, really like that low throaty sound but not so bad people would rag me for it sounding to "farty" LOL. Was also told to NOT get a catback system ether lol.

Any and all upgrades, helpful hints and tricks, exterior mods, anything at with my specific model would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see lots of replies and thank you all for your time.

· Registered
724 Posts
Best intake would be to stick with the stock one and put in a k&n panel filter like it requires. CAI intakes show negligible gains especially without a tune. Who told you not to get a catback? They are one of the most popular and effective exhaust mods for yielding a better sound. No need to bypass any cats which would yield emission and car problems. With that being said, welcome! Let's see some pics!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best intake would be to stick with the stock one and put in a k&n panel filter like it requires. CAI intakes show negligible gains especially without a tune. Who told you not to get a catback? They are one of the most popular and effective exhaust mods for yielding a better sound. No need to bypass any cats which would yield emission and car problems. With that being said, welcome! Let's see some pics!
Thanks for the reply bro! I come from a farming family and were always straight piping basically everything so that where thats coming from LOL! Emissions we could really give a hoot about, but what concerned me was you opinion on how it would give me "car problems". if you could further elaborate i would very much appreciate it.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,787 Posts
The 2.5 ts isn't turbo that I'm aware of so intake, or exhaust would all be negligible to an extent. You may get some power but not the type of gains you will see on a turbo engine.

If the exhaust is rotten I would replace at minimum everything post header, the cat is probably past its prime as well. As far as your intake goes, I would look for an option that fits, and doesn't run an intake tube down where it can ingest water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
724 Posts
Thanks for the reply bro! I come from a farming family and were always straight piping basically everything so that where thats coming from LOL! Emissions we could really give a hoot about, but what concerned me was you opinion on how it would give me "car problems". if you could further elaborate i would very much appreciate it.
Car problems would entail a check engine light, possible improper backpressure for the engine (although less of an impact on a N/A car), and then environmental impacts of running catless.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2.5 ts isn't turbo that I'm aware of so intake, or exhaust would all be negligible to an extent. You may get some power but not the type of gains you will see on a turbo engine.

If the exhaust is rotten I would replace at minimum everything post header, the cat is probably past its prime as well. As far as your intake goes, I would look for an option that fits, and doesn't run an intake tube down where it can ingest water.

Interesting on the intake, can you further elaborate on what some options would be as far as not intaking water would be?

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,787 Posts
Many cai drop the intake into the fender where deep puddles can saturate the filter and cause water to get sucked into the engine. I would recommend a short ram, or something like the Cobb intake with box

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.