Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SSM WRX Hatch
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 issues with my '08 wrx hatch that seem really daunting at the moment. please help..

1.) It has a hesitation issue during acceleration with lack of power (just not running like it should) since I got it. I've taken it to my local Subaru dealership twice and they can't seem to figure it out. I swear it feels like a vacuum/boost leak so they said they did a smoke test that proved there's no leaks but the problem persists. It can feel pretty jolty at times and 1st-3rd feels very weak compared to 4th while coasting. That wonderful tugging feeling of the turbo just isn't there in lower gears. Other times the boost hits pretty hard in 3rd or 4th and its so great! I want that healthy/steady power when i'm pulling onto the highway too not just while coasting.. if i'm lucky..

2.) I keep getting "Hill Start Assist" and "Vehicle Dynamics Control" Warning Lights that come on together completely at random. They go away when the car is restarted but always come on together randomly.

Is it possible that these two problems are related? is there a common leak or possibly a part that is known to fail? what are these warning lights trying to tell me? This is my first turbo car so It's a little new to me but I have to figure out what these problems are myself now that the dealership has done all they can.

Thanks for any ideas on either issue.

·
Æternum
16,127 Posts
I have no knowledge of what may cause this, but this is certainly concerning

2.) I keep getting "Hill Start Assist" and "Vehicle Dynamics Control" Warning Lights that come on together completely at random. They go away when the car is restarted but always come on together randomly.
Have you pulled your brake pads to see if you have uneven wear? It is POSSIBLE (in my mind at least) that a faulty wheel speed sensor could cause your VDC to step in inappropriately.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have no knowledge of what may cause this, but this is certainly concerning

Have you pulled your brake pads to see if you have uneven wear? It is POSSIBLE (in my mind at least) that a faulty wheel speed sensor could cause your VDC to step in inappropriately.
How about checking for pending codes. My Spec B goes into I mode, flashes the VDC and sets the engine light when I get a hard code - not pending. Anyway check for engine codes

·
Registered
2008 SSM WRX Hatch
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I've learned that after driving it for a while the VDC and hill climb assist come on together only when I turn around in my driveway coming home and both only go off by restarting.

I've taken it to the dealer a couple times for other stuff and asked them to look into it while it was there..both times they said there were no codes showing (at the moment I guess) and that they didn't know what was wrong. The manual is extremely vague too. It literally only says to have it serviced immediately if these lights stay on and that's about it.
This is pretty annoying but the car seems pretty good otherwise (minus the sometimes jolty acceleration I mentioned).

Thank you for the replies

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
Update: I've learned that after driving it for a while the VDC and hill climb assist come on together only when I turn around in my driveway coming home and both only go off by restarting.

I've taken it to the dealer a couple times for other stuff and asked them to look into it while it was there..both times they said there were no codes showing (at the moment I guess) and that they didn't know what was wrong. The manual is extremely vague too. It literally only says to have it serviced immediately if these lights stay on and that's about it.
This is pretty annoying but the car seems pretty good otherwise (minus the sometimes jolty acceleration I mentioned).

Thank you for the replies
When you are turning do you feel any jumping or hear popping, clicking, or a thunk?

It's possible you have a CV issue and it's causing binding tripping the vehicle dynamics. I've also seen wheel speed sensors kick off the various stability management systems, however they usually trip a brake code as well.

·
Registered
2008 SSM WRX Hatch
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you are turning do you feel any jumping or hear popping, clicking, or a thunk?

It's possible you have a CV issue and it's causing binding tripping the vehicle dynamics. I've also seen wheel speed sensors kick off the various stability management systems, however they usually trip a brake code as well.
No sounds at all and it seems to only be when I turn right in reverse..and it's weird that the HCA is coming on at the same time and always together. Doesnt seem to be hurting anything so I wouldn't be so worried about it if dash lights didn't drive me crazy

·
Registered
2008 SSM WRX Hatch
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone by chance know what the dealer would charge for new fuel injectors? As far as the light jolty acceleration and lack of power I think that will be my next move. It's so frustrating when I'm out for a drive and it just doesn't seem healthy enough. The power is strong one second then very weak the next.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts