Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my Joe P should be in the mail, but I'm gonna wait till after my free oil change, tune-up before installing it. I wanna go with as stealthy an install as possible with the Joe P. Can I use the Factory hoses for this? If I have to bring it in for whatever reason, the dealer need only know that I keep my engine clean and not that I had an MBC at all. Also platinum and you guys with the joe p:

How much psi should each gear average?

for example

10 psi in 1st
12 psi in 2nd
etc...

All I have now is the factory install "fun boost gauge". Is this acceptable enough for testing or should I have someplace install a new more accurate gauge. I'm getting the help of a buddy with a absolutely tuned 3000GT whom is an absolute expert in modding things up, so I have a good feeling it will be installed right the FIRST TIME.

After the MBC is in, what can i do to keep the dealer's unsuspecting that will add a bit? besides the K&N which will probably accompany the MBC going in?

Thanks for helping this new guy out.

-C

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
fengshui said:
How much psi should each gear average?

for example

10 psi in 1st
12 psi in 2nd
etc...

All I have now is the factory install "fun boost gauge". Is this acceptable enough for testing or should I have someplace install a new more accurate gauge. I'm getting the help of a buddy with a absolutely tuned 3000GT whom is an absolute expert in modding things up, so I have a good feeling it will be installed right the FIRST TIME.

After the MBC is in, what can i do to keep the dealer's unsuspecting that will add a bit? besides the K&N which will probably accompany the MBC going in?

Thanks for helping this new guy out.

-C
The Joe P installs in ten minutes. If you keep your factory hoses handy you can reinstall them in ten minutes. This includes the time it takes to get out and put away your tools. :D

The factory boost gauge is great for accuracy, it's just small.

You should get
.105MPa (15.2 psi) in first and second
.110MPa (16.0 psi) in third
.115MPa (16.7 psi) in 4th and 5th

You can set a little lower if you want, but don't go above these, it's hard on the turbo and won't make any more power for you.

The installation has been covered several times recently, searrch for Joe MBC and install* and you'll find the threads!

-Jim

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
platinum, you the man. If you dont mind im fashioning some of my power mods like yours. I'm not going to go nuts since I not a total performance tweaker, but there are some a$$holes around here who think their jettas and mitsu's will take a stock WRX. I'll be a sleeper as much as a stock looking WRX w/ rear spoiler can be. I may do some exterior stuff, not sure yet, still kinda broke. Am I actually seeing a HP increase with the MBC? Or am I just seeing the turbo work a little faster?

-C

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
fengshui said:
platinum, you the man. If you dont mind im fashioning some of my power mods like yours. I'm not going to go nuts since I not a total performance tweaker, but there are some a$$holes around here who think their jettas and mitsu's will take a stock WRX. I'll be a sleeper as much as a stock looking WRX w/ rear spoiler can be. I may do some exterior stuff, not sure yet, still kinda broke. Am I actually seeing a HP increase with the MBC? Or am I just seeing the turbo work a little faster?

-C
More boost equals more power. More boost in 1st and 2nd equals incredible hole shots. PM me if you want me to install some gear in your car!

-Jim

·
Registered
242 Posts
fengshui said:
Am I actually seeing a HP increase with the MBC? Or am I just seeing the turbo work a little faster?-C
You'll be pleasantly surprised, especially in first and second gear. :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that Subaru claims 8HP for every 1psi added. Don't know how true this is.

So if you bump from the stock 14psi to 16psi, you should see...

48Hp added in 1st
32HP added in 2nd
16HP added in 3rd through 5th

These are just off the top of my head and based on theory, not actual dyno results. The biggest gain WILL be 1st and 2nd because the stock boost controller limits these around 10psi and 12psi. or so.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have mine hooked up and I seem to be hitting 14.5 in second and 15.5 in third but first is not quite at 14.5. Is it safe to crank it up a bit so I hit 14.5 in first?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
str said:
I have mine hooked up and I seem to be hitting 14.5 in second and 15.5 in third but first is not quite at 14.5. Is it safe to crank it up a bit so I hit 14.5 in first?
As long as you aren't too much above 16psi in 4th and 5th, you'll be fine.

-Jim

·
Registered
189 Posts
cool. I think I may turn it up just a hair. It definetly is getting some sweet boost right now, I can feel it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
is that really true? 8 hp for every 1psi? i'm not saying your wrong, i just never heard that. damn, so it is really 48 hp in first that you gain? i mean, i know it pulls a lot harder, but man 48 is a ton of hp.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
gifty74 said:
is that really true? 8 hp for every 1psi? i'm not saying your wrong, i just never heard that. damn, so it is really 48 hp in first that you gain? i mean, i know it pulls a lot harder, but man 48 is a ton of hp.
it's decieving gifty, the hp and torque at 6000 rpms isn't as big as the huge jump in first. but no one measured just 1 gear's increase. realistically it'll be around 20 hp total.

dR

·
Registered
160 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
whats the safest psi a stock engine can handle in each gear?

The engine can handle 400hp no problem, Its the stock clutch that i would worry about going anywhere over 300+ HP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts