Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JoeP MBC install?

I looked around to try to find some pics. I know it should be easy to do but I have the MBC in my hand, the instructions and heartburn: $25K car. Yes, I don't want to mess anything up.

I know a lot of you guys installed it. I think I understand the concept of the outlet on the wastegate and the inlet of the turbo. I think...:(

So please, let's have a good thread full of reliable info and a bunch of pics of your MBC installed on your car. Thank you.

I guess the thread could be moved to the Tutorial when it's done.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hey, I just toke some good pics of my MBC. I will post them in the tutorial section tomorrow night and place a link here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This should be interesting to see where others have mounted the control valve. At first I was a confused on what to do with the stock hoses. Just thought it was strange that the factory controller would be totally bypassed.

Shawn

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
ticrab,

I had the same difficulty when I put my controller in. I posted how to do it somewhere in Tutorials on this site. I don't have time to look for it right now, though. Just look a year back in Tutorials, it's there!

-Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

I will hold on the installation for now. Still, you're welcome to post pics if you have any.

Well, I just noticed one thing on my rotors. The front ones seems to be worn out pretty good for only 2,100 miles. Maybe it's normal. The rear ones are smooth when I touch them. Not the front ones. There is an english term to describe those lines made by the pads after so long on the rotors. I forgot what the term is. Anyways, I may take it to the dealership unless you guys think it's normal. Anybody else noticed that problem? I heard dirt or little rocks can be stuck in there and make that happens. Still, it seems to be a lot compared to the rear ones.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JoeP in and having fun.
Well, kind of. I got .82hkpa(12psi) in 1st, then 1.05hkpa in 2nd(15.23psi), then 1.15hkpa in 3rd(16.68psi), almost same in 4th and 5th, sometimes hitting up to 1.18hkpa(17.11psi). Is that a normal curve? Why do I get now "so low" in first? I'm trying to hit 16.5psi at all gear or pretty close. I've been messing with the mbc all afternoon long. A lot of patience. Still that 1st gear is bothering me... any idea?

K&N filter
Silencer removed
Blitz Dual TT
JoeP MBC
Crazy a$$ french wannabe rally dude driver

·
Registered
554 Posts
Did you plug off the factory boost sensing line? It should be a straight shot from the manifold to turbo with JoeP inline.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Done

Yes. The setup was done right. I grabbed so much information for the install plus your pics. Thank you.

I think it's just very sensitive when you get to a precise range you want to work with. I would low in 1st and very high in 5th, then high in 1st, almost as much in 5th, tec. But I kept trying to fine tune it and I got as high as 16.8psi in 5th. Also up to 14.5 psi in 1st.

So yes, the MBC is the evil brew for your car. From sheep to wolf. And for $50, you can't beat that. Voodoo stuff for cheap. Honestly, I read a lot of things and I wasn't skeptical but I was wondering how could that MBC makes such a difference. Well, it just does. If you want to know what the potential of this car is, hook it up and when you have enough money, switch to a powerful, full of features EBC. You won't regret it. Unless you don't know what you're doing. If Ticrab can, anybody should be able to do it as well. :cool:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
ticrab,

Don't worry about spikes when you are tuning the MBC. Just don't drive around with is like that. More than 17psi out of the stock turbo will generate more heat than flow. It puts tremendous stress on the small Mitsu turbo. Just take my word as an engineer: DON'T DO IT MAN!

-Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anything to work around that heat and stress problem if holding at 17psi? Maybe it's a stupid question but just asking. Being in the computer field, I just feel like putting fans on anything! :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
ticrab,

I work for Lockheed Maritin in electronics packaging, so I know what you mean. Do you work for Texas Instruments? PM me with the answer to this question, since it's off topic.

You can't just add a fan, the turbo is directly cooled by the hood scoop. If you look closely at it from under the hood you can see the deflector. 3/4 of the air goes to the intercooler to cool the post-turbo intake charge, 1/4 to the turbo heat shield. The turbo is cooled by convection from the hood scoop, and conduction by oil and coolant.

The reason for the 17psi boost limit is in the compressor's construction. It is a low boost/minimal lag turbo and Subaru selected it for efficient operation at the stock boost levels. 17psi is pushing the "envelope" of useful flow for the turbo and puts it into a less efficient operating range. If you want more boost or more flow at less boost, you need a bigger turbo.

-Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
JoeP on the way.......

You guys got me all excited about this. Should have it in by the weekend. Shall report then. Do I have to change the BOV when i install the JoeP?

·
Registered
32 Posts
JoeP installed this morning along with Samco IC hoses and silencer removal. As Jim said, best $50 I ever spent on a car!!

Barry

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep! Cheap and a lot of fun.
Anybody, I noticed that the boost is higher when the car is cold. When my car gets to normal temperature in the morning, and I push it, I get 16.5psi. That's what I wanted so it's perfect. But I had to rush one time as soon as I left home, so I pushed it. It was going above 17psi on 3rd, 4th and 5th. And when the car was hot, it dropped to my wanted setting: 16.5 psi max. Why? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts