ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i got a 2004 wrx, with just 2K miles on it.

I notice whenever i am braking from higher speeds (on the highway) or harder braking my steering wheel starts to shake really bad and gets really jittery.

Some people have said to check the warped rotors or it could be alignment. Just wanted to get a few more people's input before i call it in or take it in so i have some idea on what i want them to check or stuff like that.

THanks guys :D

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Most likley a uneven build up of pad deposit- it will cause a shudder under hard braking. I'd first try some repeated firm braking- say five to ten 60->5mph brakings- sometimes this can pull off the deposits. If this doesn't do it, you can clean off this deposit w/ fine sand paper or scotch brite pads, if that doesn't work than a very light turning of the rotors will likely be needed. Rotors very seldom warp, it's ususally uneven pad deposit that causes shudder.

There are a few other possible culprits, but my pad is on uneven pad deposit.

Big Sky

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response, ill try some hard braking tonight. If it doesnt work, i have an APPT. for tuesday to take in my car and have them look at it. *them as in subaru*

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
you can clean off this deposit w/ fine sand paper or scotch brite pads, if that doesn't work than a very light turning of the rotors will likely be needed. Rotors very seldom warp, it's ususally uneven pad deposit that causes shudder.
screw that!!! its got 2K miles and its acting funny...take it to the dealer and have them screw with it.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
and don't let them feed you some crap about "normal operation" either. get in the car with them. and at the very least make sure you get a printout of a work order that has your compliant on it and that they said it was normal...that way you know its in their computer, and YOU have a copy of it. Its VERY odd that once you hit 36K miles all the things that were "normal operation" suddenly become "serious problems that need to be addressed"

as long as they have doccumentation that you brought the car in while it was still under warranty and complained about something, they'll have to fix it even if you're not under warranty anymore. I had this happen with weak A/C AND clutch shudder...when I bought the car back with 50K miles and I was completely out of refrigirant I told them I've been here 3 times in the past complaining that my AC was weak...and noone did anything about it - they paid for all the work. The compressor wasn't covered, (it was covered under the extended warranty) but all the leak tests and 3 freon refills, and a loaner car while all the work was being done was covered by the dealer/SOA. And when I brought the car back with MASSIVE clutch shudder 3k miles later and has documentation that I came in with complaints about that as well, they fixed it too....I didn't get a new clutch out of it, but whatever they did fixed the clutch shudder. (Maybe they just bled the clutch...I hear that a lot of clutches/brakes leave the factory with tons of air still in the line).

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright thanks guys.

im taking it in on tuesday morning. Hopefully it will get fixed and they wont give me **** about my exhaust either.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I got the same problem .... let me know what they say that fixes this. I bought mine with 34000 onit and it was fine i went 100mph few times and it was fine, no shaking. One day it started to shake then i noticed that my right tire was missing the balancing weight on it, i got it balanced but that only seemed to improve the situation but not completely eliminate the shake. I thought it was the rotors then so i went ahead and got new i got about 500 miles on the new ones and the shake is still there so i thought maybe the tires were shot so i got a new set and the shake is still there. Now i am thinking that my rims are bent or something or i am ready to go and cut the new rotors. It really pissing me off because i can't go over 70 becasue the steering shakes and even worse when i brake. It seems to go away below 60 mph, i am so pissed of i am ready to like sell the car if i can't get this solved. So your feedback will be most appreaciated, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
878 Posts
my cousin said that he had this problem and that his rim was bent so thats what leads me to believe that mine could be bent as well however shouldn't the dam balancing fix the problem, if it was bent then you propably wouldn't be able to balance the tire. I just though of this.... the balancing machine spins the tire at low rate is there another way to balance the tires?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Find a outfit w/ a Hunter road force machine (GSP9700)- these are the absolute top of the line machines. They put a load on your tire/wheel simulating being on the road- they can tell if the tires are out of round/wheels out of round or bent, balancing problems- etc

If you eliminate the wheels/tires-then I'd get a good alignment and see if anything is out whack there.

Big Sky

·
Registered
878 Posts
hey 2fastwrx3112 whats going on with your shakes :) i finally figured out what my problem was. I was going to cut my new rotors becasue i replaced them back to my original old ones and i still had the shakes so i went to a mechanic and he told me that rotors are propably fine but the balancing is off, so i went and got another balance at another place and guess what... the shakes are gone I AM SO HAPPY NOW !!!:D i can fly 90 on the highway again no problem... whats up with yours?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the exact same problem over about 70mph just got an alignment so thats prolly not it. I thought it was warped roters before i read this...im going to try the hard braking today. Im looking into new wheels and tires anyway so not worried about that.

·
Registered
878 Posts
since the problem was solved with balancing i figured i'll throw my new rotors on and see what happens and to my surprise the shaking comes back. So in the end it was both the rotors and the balancing. How come though me new rotors are so outa wack is beyond me? I did the recommended stops to bed the suckers in and did not abuse them, meaning no hard stops. They are so bad i am going to have to take them off and cut them, becasue the brake is so much better then with the stock rotors, but i can't stand the dam shaking.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey sorry guys, i totally forgot about this thread.

I took it in a couple weeks ago, they replaced all my rotors (front and back) and it looks like the front ones are a little bigger than they were before. (HMM?) Adam (service manager) said my rotors were worped so they just replaced all of them and now i cant complain anymore. I mean, sometimes hwen i go above like 90 on the highway it happens, but it hink thats more less b/c the car isnt that stable at those speeds + like wind and stuff liek that. But overall the problem is solved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts