Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a $2500 budget for coilovers in my project WRX but I don't know which coilovers are better. I did some reseach and some looking around in this forum and found that the JICs and the HKSs are what I'm looking for but I don't know which would be good for a high performance street/autox WRX. I also want the suspension to have a good ride and the streets in Chicago are f***ed up. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read about the Teins but I can't really find any places that sells the RA. Thanks but I'm really looking at the JICs and HKSs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I heard that HKS was valved for smooth Japanese roads, so it won't be very comfortable driving on bad roads. I've read a lot of positive reviews about JIC FLT-A2s, and I believe JICs cost a lot less than the HKS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I read somewhere in this forum that the HKS Hipermaxes are 30 way adjustable. Wouldn't that help help more than the JICs 15 way adjustability in dampening the bumps??

·
Registered
316 Posts
I guess it's good thing to have adjustability if you know what you're doing. Also, keep in mind that more adjustability can also mean more ways to screw things up. That's why I'm going with STi/SPT suspension(no adjustability at all!) cuz I know I don't have expertise/time/money to have it tuned perfectly. If you're going for the ultimate handling and are willing to put effort to get it tuned to your preference, yes, HKS would be a better choice. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
people on nasioc have been complaining about the low speed bouciness of the JIC FLT-A2s. Tein RA on the other hand, i have only read good reviews about it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i dont have any experience with them but from what ive read in the past, the HKS Hipermax are stiff as hell even on the softest setting. they were designed for smooth track surfaces so it should be a pretty bumpy ride. handling on the other hand, i heard they are amazing!

lots of the cars in option videos tsukuba super lap use HKS Hipermax coilovers so it must be good! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...I found out that there was a posting on NASIOC about the HKS Hipermax 2s and the poster said that the spring rates were 7kg F and 5kg R........it sounds like a pretty nice ride on the streets considering that most people use 6kg F and 5kg R on Tein RAs for street/autox use and are getting great results. The Hipermaxes also has more adjustability than the RAs. If you want take a look heres the link: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=271386&highlight=hks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O yea...I forgot to mention that the Hipermax 2s use progressive rate springs. I'm not sure about the FLT-A2s but I did here that JIC has switched to progressive springs as well.......but I'm really not sure about this fact for the FLT-A2s.

·
Registered
298 Posts
crazy_wrx said:
O yea...I forgot to mention that the Hipermax 2s use progressive rate springs. I'm not sure about the FLT-A2s but I did here that JIC has switched to progressive springs as well.......but I'm really not sure about this fact for the FLT-A2s.
I would be surprised to see that the HKS uses progressive rate springs. They can really kill your handling. The FLT-A2 does not use progressive rate springs for this reason. A progressive rate spring makes a better ride, but a linear spring will make for better steering response and overall handling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am goingto go with the JIC because it is a inverted strut design, mono tube, and also becuse it is cheeper. When you change the height of the HKS you will have to add or take off helper springs. For the JIC the whole shock moves so that way you will always have full travel no matter how low you have your car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any more opinions?? I think I'm going with the HKS Hipermaxes because of the huge amount of adjustablility and progressive springs :D Hehe.....I just also found out that the JIC FLT-A2s also use progressive springs.....but I love the looks of the Hipermaxes :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have the 2/02 issue of Sport Compact Car....goto page 91. It's the JIC ad for the FLT-A2. It says "Progressive spring (chrome silicon metal featuring cool bend manufacturing), aircraft aluminum................"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts