ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, my STI seats are hurting my back and theya re too wide for me. So I am thinking about buying a set of JDM seats but wondering if they are direct bolt on. And if they have the side air bags like the US seats. Anybody know bout this?

thanks

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
benelliwang said:
Hello there, my STI seats are hurting my back and theya re too wide for me. So I am thinking about buying a set of JDM seats but wondering if they are direct bolt on. And if they have the side air bags like the US seats. Anybody know bout this?

thanks
i'm not sure, but have you considered aftermarket seats? the STi seats are pretty snug from what i hear, and if those don't satisfy you, you might be best suited with a set of recaros or sparcos.

dR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: JDM STI seats, plug and play? Have airbags?

dark_rex said:
i'm not sure, but have you considered aftermarket seats? the STi seats are pretty snug from what i hear, and if those don't satisfy you, you might be best suited with a set of recaros or sparcos.

dR
Aftermarket seats are fine as long as they offer airbags. Also, the US Sti seats are wide, very wide for us lard asses.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I looked into doing the same thing a few months ago. The results I found were that the JDM STi seats do not come with airbags which would require you to trick the sensor in the car into thinking the airbags were present or trying to modify the seats to accept the airbags out of your USDM seats.

I believe the mounting hardware is the same with the exception that with the JDM STi seats, the passenger seat has height adjustment and the drivers seat does not. Also, I believe you can use USDM mounting hardware on the JDM seats if you want to keep the height adjustment on the drivers seat.

If you do a search for "jdm sti seats" there are a few threads discussing these points. Might want to try that for more information and to double check my memory.

Also, on a side note, the JDM sti seats should be no more than 1500-1600 shipped and when I was researching them that included both front seats and the rear seats.

Depending on the market you purchase the seats from, you might also be able to get a rear seat with a pass through (EDM).

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Complexx is correct, and I have them with a rear passthrough, which was how it should have came in the US.

Tricking the airbag system is simple. Plug a 3.3 ohm 1/4 watt resistor into the empty sockets under the seats, and tape them in so they don't fall out.

The seats bolt right in perfectly. I left the height adjusters as they were, since I'm tall and always jack all the way down anyway.

They are WAY tighter than USDM STi seats. Vast improvement, and exact same colors. Perfect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wonderspark.......more help, please

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure.........do you have the JDM or EDM seats?

Rear and Front? Perfect colour match?

Can you let us know exactly from whom you purchased these seats? I'd like to change them out myself, but I haven't found the competitive pricing the you and Complexx have.

Thank-you very much........Frank

Complexx is correct, and I have them with a rear passthrough, which was how it should have came in the US.

Tricking the airbag system is simple. Plug a 3.3 ohm 1/4 watt resistor into the empty sockets under the seats, and tape them in so they don't fall out.

The seats bolt right in perfectly. I left the height adjusters as they were, since I'm tall and always jack all the way down anyway.

They are WAY tighter than USDM STi seats. Vast improvement, and exact same colors. Perfect.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Re: Re: Re: JDM STI seats, plug and play? Have airbags?

benelliwang said:
Aftermarket seats are fine as long as they offer airbags. Also, the US Sti seats are wide, very wide for us lard asses.
Sorry but you arent going to find any other seats with side airbags besides the ones on usdm stis and wrxs. JDM stis are completely air bag free, and except for some very expensive recaros I have never seen an aftermarket seat with side air bags.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Re: Wonderspark.......more help, please

Frank Zuccarini said:
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure.........do you have the JDM or EDM seats?

Rear and Front? Perfect colour match?

Can you let us know exactly from whom you purchased these seats? I'd like to change them out myself, but I haven't found the competitive pricing the you and Complexx have.
I was told they're JDM, but I don't know definitively myself. The height adjustment is on the wrong (passenger) side, so if they're EDM, it's a RHD country like the UK.

The colors are the same, except where the USDM seats have black, these are black with very thin diagonal blue pinstripes. The blue part is identical to USDM, and same material. I got both rear and front, with rear passthrough.

Mine were used, in nice condition, and I bought all four pieces from a private seller for $800, which is a price I doubt anyone will beat. I also had to order a small metal hook for the latch on the passthrough from Subaru, and it was about $5 or so.

It's funny when people sit in my car, especially other STi owners, because the first thing they say is, "Holy sh*t! These seats are AWESOME!" I can never go back. And I don't miss the side airbags at all, either. In fact, I consider disabling the front airbags now and then. I wear my seatbelt religiously, and don't really feel the need for airbags.

I'd rather have a rollcage. Did you guys see Petter's crash in the WRC in Germany? That was amazing. Crunch, crunch, crunch, no airbags, and they walked away just fine. Poor car, though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank-you, Wonderspark.......

............for your detailed answer. I appreciate it.

So, I guess that Japan is a right-hand driver country?

I'm excited by your experience with these seats. I'm really not thrilled witih the USDM seats, and I'm looking for replacements.

Again, thanks..................Frank

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Re: Re: Wonderspark.......more help, please

wonderspark said:
I'd rather have a rollcage. Did you guys see Petter's crash in the WRC in Germany? That was amazing. Crunch, crunch, crunch, no airbags, and they walked away just fine. Poor car, though!
I think the rollcage will kill you if you don't have helmet, neckprotection and 4 - 6 point race seatbelts..

My wrx has nice seats. It's EDM version. No airbags, really tight, high adjustment on driver side. So your seats must be JDM or from england.

I'm considering some aftermarked racing seats, but then I have to do something with the backseats so they match !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts