ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm new to clubWRX but I have a question. I have a rightside drive impreza bugeye and I'm curious as to how much I could score for a REAL JDM Impreza. again I'm just looking for ballpark. Most importers charge upwards of 40-60k to import and convert a car to US DOT SPEC. Im not looking to charge anywhere near that much but I feel wih the labor and shipping 20-30k sounds reasonable and it's well maintained and is a low mileage scooby. Any input is appreciated!!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!!!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
I'm not your target audience admittedly but I'd never consider a car that's not LHD, because I don't deliver mail and have no reason to want to sit on the wrong side of the car.

There are members here and elsewhere that have done what you propose as a business, and they will be more helpful; I responded just to point out that opinions on how desirable a Japanese car is can vary dramatically.

If I lived in Cyprus my opinion would be different.

·
Æternum
20,623 Posts
Anyone that spends 20-30K on a USED Impreza that was 20-30K when NEW (10 years ago) very evidently requires mental rehabilitation.

·
Registered
958 Posts
That seems very high, I know in Canada we can get a 1996 model Version 3 STI Wagon with 57,500 original kilometers for about $7K. I use that as a example because there was one for sale not too long ago.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
you do know this is a discussion one RHD JDM cars correct? KBB is irrelevant
Yes, why would you pay more for a car that's been modified? Modification doesn't add value for 99% of the public

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Yes, why would you pay more for a car that's been modified? Modification doesn't add value for 99% of the public
He isn't talking about a modified car, he is talking about a JDM (Japanese) Subaru. The car itself isn't what is going to cost 30k. Importing a car is very expensive after getting it legalized in the states. The OP was very clear about only wanting a "REAL JDM Impreza" So the cost of a USDM WRX is irrelevant

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Reading is fundamental!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
He isn't talking about a modified car, he is talking about a JDM (Japanese) Subaru. The car itself isn't what is going to cost 30k. Importing a car is very expensive after getting it legalized in the states. The OP was very clear about only wanting a "REAL JDM Impreza" So the cost of a USDM WRX is irrelevant
My mistake

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know when it boils down to it, it will be the individual who wants it and how much they are willing to pay for it. I just don't wanna get low balled if I do decide to sell it. By the same token I don't intend to screw someone over. I just figured with all the BS, 20-30k would be reasonable if targeting the right crowd.

·
Registered
56 Posts
... if targeting the right crowd.
Exactly - right hand drive vehicles are unique and someone might want to pay good money for it. Whether that's worth the premium over LHD to the majority of buyers is likely a big no, but that's not what you are asking. I bet there are subi aficionados that would love a JDM model in the US. As I understand it, it would not have to be converted to be street legal, correct?

·
Æternum
20,623 Posts
To be honest, most Subaru owners (or prospective Subaru owners) are not the "JDM y0!" type of crowd. If you had a RHD Integra or Skyline, I'm sure there would be a market. As far as Subaru owners, you'll probably have a very difficult time selling the car at your price-point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be taking care ofthat all it needs is doors glass ECM tune to meet EPA standards and bumpers. It's done. So as soon as it's in the states, register it take it in for emissions testing and done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah thank god!!!! I'm a chevy guy i have a 98 camaro SS I use for autox I love the car, so even if I don't sell it I'm just as happy with keeping the li'l guy they're so much fun haha

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
To be honest, most Subaru owners (or prospective Subaru owners) are not the "JDM y0!" type of crowd. If you had a RHD Integra or Skyline, I'm sure there would be a market. As far as Subaru owners, you'll probably have a very difficult time selling the car at your price-point.
On the same note, RHD Imprezas are pretty unique and I'd personally own one, but not for 20-30k. I'd probably base what I'd be willing to pay on how much it would cost to get a new front clip and swap to a RHD.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts