Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get the instructions on installing these headlights? Everything that I have found said that it is not for the jdm sti lights. The ballast come on brackets. I cant find anything. Thanks

·
Banned
968 Posts
Installation of the headlights? Or the wiring?

·
Registered
128 Posts
OKay I have the same lights.

1.) Take the ballasts off the brackets, you dont need to use them
2.) the ballasts mount like this, the passenger side you can just stand up right behind the headlight. The driver side you can lay flat behind the headlight.
3.) There are black wires on each ballast that are ground. You will need to bolt those to bolts behind the headlights. I will take some pics for you to see.
4.) You will need to make a harness or have someone make one for you. I paid a guy $40 to do it for me. I will take pics of what it looks like.

Its simple, once you see the pics.

Hold for a couple minutes and I will snap the pictures for you.

DREW

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here is a picture of the ballast and the harness, I color co-ordinated it for you. This is the drivers side.

And this one of the harness I had made:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright thanks for the help. I ordered the harness. Do you know where I could find parts and instructions for the leveling motors?

·
Registered
175 Posts
go to scoobymods.com and search for the leveling motors and switch.

But be careful..the JDM and EDM switch and wiring is different, so make sure you get the correct info.

also MAKE SURE that you disable your DRLs. The DRL only gives the lights 6volts so you will burn out your ballasts....This is what i've been told, could be worng, but i didn't want to risk it.

to disable DRLs either search here or on scoobymods...but basically you disconnect a plug behind the glovebox.

Also, if you go to www.suvlights.com they have light harnesses that use relays. Order their regular harness, then call them up and tell them they upgraded your friend for free and they should do the same for you. Basically what they send you is a kit that wires each light to the battery, with 4 relays, that plug into your stock connector. Then get the harness from cc-b and you can use their harness to make your HIDs work.

It's hard to describe how i wired mine up, but if you look at it long enough it should make sense :)

Ohh, also...if you take the - (ground) from the ballast and hook it up directly to a chassis ground, then your HIDs will stay on with your high beams...otherwise they just flash on and off when you high beam....

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
faction did you change your headlights over to the left hand drive beam pattern? also what is wrong with the taps from him?

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey... do the stock JDM HID's displace a sort of violet blue light when at a distance??? Thats looks really nice... I'm asking because I know some HID kits that you can buy, just look really white... and dont display that violet beam and certain angles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
FFWRX said:
faction did you change your headlights over to the left hand drive beam pattern? also what is wrong with the taps from him?
Nope. I just left them alone.

Also you have to disable the DRL's behind the glovebox or you will blow fuses like no ones business.

The taps he gives you are to tap into wires on the regular JDM projectors. The taps I showed you allow you to 'plug' and 'un-plug' into the ballast without any trouble. Just clamp and plug them in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts