Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so Im gunna change my oil myself for my first time and wanted to know how to properly raise my 2009 wrx. I read that the jack stands and scissor jacks go in the same place or very close so its seems like you cant use stands. I was thinking the best way is race ramps, jack up the back and put the back wheels on wheel crib blocks. I was also wondering, is it true that you cant use jack stands on it because there is no other point for them or am i just confused? Thanks :)

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
Raise the car with your front jack plate, then use jack stands or use ramps

My set of Rhino Ramps were ~$50, and have paid for themselves countless times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raise the car with your front jack plate, then use jack stands or use ramps

My set of Rhino Ramps were ~$50, and have paid for themselves countless times.
Ive heard that the car could slip/clip the front bumper on rhino ramps, I guess not then lol.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
TopGearAddict said:
Ive heard that the car could slip/clip the front bumper on rhino ramps, I guess not then lol.
I've never had an issue when using them in a garage. On my uneven gravel driveway, I have.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I use two jacks, one on each side of the car. I have two floor jacks. If one fails the other one with still hold up the car.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts

·
The Fruit
3,147 Posts
Just get a set of decent ramps. If you're not lowered you'll clear them just fine. I'm on sti springs in the front (-13mm from stock 2010 nose height) and I rub my ramps just slightly.

I actually have two sets of ramps, one set to drive the front onto, and another to put under the rear after jacking it up by the diff. For an oil change you wont need the whole car in the air but if you want to say, throw on a cbe or shifter bushings or diff mount inserts or rear cradle mount inserts... etc.. Anything under the car that doesn't need wheels removed.. you'll want the extra height. At $40/pair for ramps.. its worth it to buy two pairs. Granted you could also use cinder blocks to set the rear tires back down on.. but with the ramps facing each other there's no possible way the car can roll off. I like that insurance. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Im gunna put the car on rhino ramps and raise it up with a floor jack, then put jack stands on. Im gunna do exactly what mangostick said for raising the whole car when i change my shift bushings :)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
One easy way to avoid scraping on ramps with a lowered car is to get a couple of one foot pieces of 2x4. Put those in front of the ramps so your front wheels drive on them first.

Flatbed tow truck drivers always carry a stack of 2x4 around in their trucks for this purpose. It usually takes them all the wood they carry to get my 911 up on the truck. First they put one level of them, then two, then finally the wheels go on the truck. And even then the front lip usually scrapes.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts
I'm poor, so I just crawl under there without jacking up anything. I know it's harder on the newer WRXs, but on my bugeye, the filter and plug are within easy reach. Lifting would help, sure, but for the older WRXs, it's not a necessity.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I floorjack the driver's side (so the oil pan will "pour" the oil out) and put in a jack stand, with the jack still in as a backup. Put down some newspaper and Bob's your uncle.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
6,611 Posts
Oil pan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Swapped my tires/wheels last night. I've had success (twice now I guess) jacking the car up, using my floor jack, where the manual says the OEM jack should go... right on that pinch weld. There is enough room with my jack to place jack stands just next to where my floor jack contacts the frame and still be on the pinch weld.

I've heard mixed reviews of jacking in this spot. Some say that you could bend the pinch weld. My co-worker has a 2009 and jacks only in that spot and hasn't had any problems... YMMV!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey you guys, for the 2009 wrx, do you have to remove the splash guard for changing filter/draining oil? The service manual dosen't mention it but I have heard that you are supposed to remove it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts