Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized that I have now owned just about every car I've dreamed about--I mean within reason, not supercars or vintage Aston Martins.

I have loved cars ever since I was a kid. Some of them caught my fancy for one reason or the other, and I have eventually found a way to make them mine.

For instance, the Toyota Celica--coolest small car in the late 70's IMO. The Saab 900--a quirky yet well-built and fun car that was the first car I bought with my own money and which I have always regretted selling for the minivan...

Fast forward to a couple of BMW's--I lived in Germany in the 90's and was forced to "settle" for an Audi--but kept the dream alive, and have owned the X3 and the Z4--the former fulfilling my dream of the wonderful 3L twin-turbo BMW I6 engine and the latter fulfilling my dream of a cool roadster, with the same I6 NA.

And then the WRX--wanted one the moment I first heard about it in the early 2000's. Thought about it once but "settled" for the Outback. Then finally owned 2. (Not an STI...yet...)

And finally the Miata--another roadster, this time less powerful but surprisingly even more fun to drive than the Z4.

My fiancee had a nice V8 truck--the Chevy Avalanche--and just got a Volvo S60, both of which I have been able to enjoy on a regular basis.

I don't know what else I could want. Back in the 70's I really wanted a '68 Chevy Camaro, but my Dad talked me out of it. So a nice brand new SS Camaro would fit the bill for that, preferably silver with a black skunk stripe like the car I lusted after. I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler for true 4WD'ing. And of course if I win the lottery or my ex-wife gets remarried (same thing, really) the Porsche Cayman would look really good in the driveway.

I don't know. Cars are just things, but in many ways they are the spice of life.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should clarify that most of these were bought used. The most I've ever spent on a car was for the 2017 WRX. If you wait long enough, every car becomes affordable...

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
That’s quite an accomplishment. I’ve got one car that’s on my bucket list that I swear I will own and that is a road legal unimog. Everything else is just filler for me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That’s quite an accomplishment. I’ve got one car that’s on my bucket list that I swear I will own and that is a road legal unimog. Everything else is just filler for me.
unimogs are hilarious. It's like the unbreakable ugly duckling that you just want to throw stuff at to see if you can make it cry.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
It doesn't matter if it's tracked or not. I drive my STI very conservatively. My 18 STI will never hit the track, but it's the feel of the car that a lot of us enjoy. I'm not even interested in the track. It's cool if that's your thing, though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, a car is a work necessity as well as an aesthetic and lifestyle choice, so my goal is always to have as much fun as I can in that situation.

Tracking a car is to me a hobby, one which I would like to pursue at some time when I have more time and money. (I should mention when I get into a hobby I REALLY get into a hobby.) I think an older Miata would make a great track car--possibly more bang for the buck in terms of the experience than the WRX/STI, but I could be wrong.

I used to really want an M3, but having friends with M cars and knowing the maintenance costs, this has dropped from my wish list.

As far as Porsches, if money was no object a 911 or Carrera, but from what I've read the Cayman offers a much more elemental driving experience for a lot less money.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, a car is a work necessity as well as an aesthetic and lifestyle choice, so my goal is always to have as much fun as I can in that situation.

Tracking a car is to me a hobby, one which I would like to pursue at some time when I have more time and money. (I should mention when I get into a hobby I REALLY get into a hobby.) I think an older Miata would make a great track car--possibly more bang for the buck in terms of the experience than the WRX/STI, but I could be wrong.

I used to really want an M3, but having friends with M cars and knowing the maintenance costs, this has dropped from my wish list.

As far as Porsches, if money was no object a 911 or Carrera, but from what I've read the Cayman offers a much more elemental driving experience for a lot less money.
Your Miata is great to try the track out with. They are good scooty cars that have tons of turning speed capability

·
Registered
109 Posts

I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I have access to a lift, and many tools, maintenance shouldn't be a huge issue.

The m3 base starts at like 60, and no one gets base. Then there's the issue if im paying 70-80k for a car, should I just get a used GTR for a little less?

So many choices :eek:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't know what else I could want. Back in the 70's I really wanted a '68 Chevy Camaro, but my Dad talked me out of it. So a nice brand new SS Camaro would fit the bill for that, preferably silver with a black skunk stripe like the car I lusted after.

I don't know. Cars are just things, but in many ways they are the spice of life.
I might suggest that you drive a 2018 (not wild about the back-end treatment of the 2019 - front did not change) Camaro ZL1. Scratch the Camaro itch and supercar itch, all at the same time. As crazy as it may sound, it is actually , almost a stealth car. Hardly anyone really understands what you have, while you are snacking on 911s and other such delicacies.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I have access to a lift, and many tools, maintenance shouldn't be a huge issue.

The m3 base starts at like 60, and no one gets base. Then there's the issue if im paying 70-80k for a car, should I just get a used GTR for a little less?

So many choices :eek:

I find the current run of M3s to be a bit on the slow side. Considering that a Camaro SS eats their lunch at ~$45K, one has to at least question some of the value proposition. The M2 Competitione has some merit. However, at a ~$60K+ starting point, you are now living in ZL1 and C7 territory. The value proposition of the Alpha platform with the LT4 and 10 speed auto should cause some pause to anyone shopping an M series, any Porsche, the aging GTR or several other $200K supercars.

FWIW - tracking any of the cars that I mentioned is an expensive hobby. 10 quart oil changes, brake pads and rotors, rear diff flushes, etc. all cost money. Serious track rats, usually track E30 BMWs or Mazda Miatas. Cost of pads and rotors can be $200-$300 for all 4 corners. $2,500 will get you started with the iron rotors and pads for some of those listed above. You will not have ~150MPH top speeds down the front straight at NOLA Motorsports Park, but people still turn solid 2 minute laps with these track prepped cars.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find the current run of M3s to be a bit on the slow side. Considering that a Camaro SS eats their lunch at ~$45K, one has to at least question some of the value proposition. The M2 Competitione has some merit. However, at a ~$60K+ starting point, you are now living in ZL1 and C7 territory. The value proposition of the Alpha platform with the LT4 and 10 speed auto should cause some pause to anyone shopping an M series, any Porsche, the aging GTR or several other $200K supercars.

FWIW - tracking any of the cars that I mentioned is an expensive hobby. 10 quart oil changes, brake pads and rotors, rear diff flushes, etc. all cost money. Serious track rats, usually track E30 BMWs or Mazda Miatas. Cost of pads and rotors can be $200-$300 for all 4 corners. $2,500 will get you started with the iron rotors and pads for some of those listed above. You will not have ~150MPH top speeds down the front straight at NOLA Motorsports Park, but people still turn solid 2 minute laps with these track prepped cars.
I get that a Camaro and most Mustangs even, will beat most cars in a straight line, but they handle like a boat. M3 would be the perfect balance imo, albeit being on the more expensive side, I think it's well worth it. Luxury interior, pretty good suspension/handling, fast as I would need it to be. Plus, you could get a quick tune and get that into the 5's easy.
The corvette is beautiful car, and fast as hell, but again, lacks the handling that a bmw/Porsche would have.

My uncle has an e30 he regularly tracks, and he said the only cars that beat him are the s2k, and the Porsches.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I get that a Camaro and most Mustangs even, will beat most cars in a straight line, but they handle like a boat. M3 would be the perfect balance imo, albeit being on the more expensive side, I think it's well worth it. Luxury interior, pretty good suspension/handling, fast as I would need it to be. Plus, you could get a quick tune and get that into the 5's easy.
The corvette is beautiful car, and fast as hell, but again, lacks the handling that a bmw/Porsche would have.

My uncle has an e30 he regularly tracks, and he said the only cars that beat him are the s2k, and the Porsches.
You might need to upgrade your knowledge of the 6th Gen Alpha platform Camaro (your ignorance is showing). Do a little research and you will quickly find that the 6th Gen is a true world class sports car. The SS 1LE was a star of The Lightning Lap. It easily embarrassed a whole host of cars costing 3 or 4 times as much. Move on up to the ZL1 or the ZL1 1LE and you have cars that post sub 7:30s on the Green Hell of the Ring. In fact the 2018 ZL1 1LE posted a 7:16 lap that was 2 seconds faster than the 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

To speak a bit about the C7, the Z06 has run a 7:12 at the Ring. The Grande Sport has posted a skid pad rating of 1.2Gs, the highest ever measured by Motor Trend for a street car. Setting at the pinnacle of the C7 platform is the ZR1. The ZR1 broke the track record at VIR by 2 seconds over the Ford GT ($450K). VIR is the home of the Lightning Lap, so Motor Trend runs a lot of exotics at that track.

IMHO, BMW and Porsche offer a name and a type of driving experience. However, they do not offer performance for the dollar. Yes, I am very aware of what times the GT2 RS has turned. A good friend of mine takes delivery in November of his GT2. He just sold his GT3 RS. We have spent several track days together.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey man I can admit when I'm wrong.

I did some research on the ZL1 models, and dollar for dollar, it seems like it gives you the most bang for your buck. I wasn't aware of the superior handling/braking of these models. The Zl1 1le, actually has some pretty impressive features.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

Handles like a boat... but makes it in the top 20 fastest production spec street legal cars around the nurburgring....

Edit: didn't see your follow up post

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was at the track with a ZL1 this past weekend.

They are absolutely incredible cars.

This one specific was the ZL1 A10 with a track package. He did absolutely nothing to the car off the showroom floor.

I was able to keep up with him for about 2 laps while he was caught in traffic. the second we got point bys, it was just not happening. That thing is really awesome...

I WAS a tiny bit faster on corner entrance; but that could also be attributed to AWD vs RWD. the second he touched the gas the car was like watching a rocket ship.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts