ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone have experiences on getting an used AccessPort for 2011 WRX? I saw some posts on craiglist, I am not sure if I should go for it. Please help :confused:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Problem that you could face buying from a used stranger (especially off of craigslist)

1. It could be damaged...no way for you to know unless you have it in your hands and try to use it.
2. It could be unmarried from their cars computer. Once its married to a computer, it has to be unmarried before it can go on someone elses computer (hence your computer).
3. They could be selling you the wrong Accessport. You would need AP-SUB-003 model for it to work.

If you want to take all of those possibilities out of the equation, PM me and I'll get you a price.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I dont know how i feel about a used one, i bought a new one and im happy with it

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
They are often times used to flash the car, then put in a box until they're removed for resale. If you're interested in buying a used one, make sure you can flash your car with it before buying it (if going the CL route).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a sub-003 for sale that I only used for a stage one flash, Now I have a protune and do not need it anymore. Unmarried waiting for a new home. Nothing funny going on here.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
They are often times used to flash the car, then put in a box until they're removed for resale. If you're interested in buying a used one, make sure you can flash your car with it before buying it (if going the CL route).
+1

I bought the old generation of access port for $100 a couple years ago. I met with the guy and flashed the map onto my car before I bought it to make sure it was unmarried. Once uploaded the map and paid for it, it went into a box never to be touched again, so yeah, I don't see a problem buying used , as long as you are aware of the risks and know what to look for before you meet them.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
+1 to the anecdotes above. I had one I bought brand new for my 07 STI back in the day. I used it a total of 4 times: Flash Stage 1, Flash Stage 2, got Protuned and flashed the protune with it, and then flashed back to stock and unmarried it.

Sold it for $400 used to someone, and met up with them. Showed them how to use it, and flashed their car to Stage 1 at the time of sale. He was perfectly happy with it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Without actually flashing it at the point of sale, how would one make sure that it can be done? I have never actually touched one of these so I don't know what it entails...

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I got mine used for real cheap.

But I got mine from a guy on craigslist.He sent me a screen capture of the unmarried screen.I also connected it to my car when we met up to double check.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, after reading all your lovely comments and suggestions; I decide to meet this craigslist guy this Sat morning. He sure everything is good and working for my car as well. He want $400-.
My question is: What exactly should I do/prepare before I go?

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You're buying something from craigslist, bring a friend in case you get robbed :p

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're buying something from craigslist, bring a friend in case you get robbed :p
No joke. That's why I always show up armed. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
What if you said you wanted to buy it, then show up and request to flash a map to make sure it works.. then after you flash the map tell them you don't want it and leave?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
What if you said you wanted to buy it, then show up and request to flash a map to make sure it works.. then after you flash the map tell them you don't want it and leave?
^I'm not an *******, so I didn't do that, but you could technically do that. Of course, you could never flash another Cobb map again, since you'd be married to the old AP. I'm not sure if open source could overwrite a Cobb map or not.

+100 to bringing someone with you though, especially on higher priced sales. I've never been burned in all of my CL deals (buying and selling), but always keep an eye out, and leave the cash with your buddy until you buy it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No joke. That's why I always show up armed. But that's just me.
^ This. I've got a Springfield Armory XDm .40 Compact + a concealed carry permit for my state. These days, you can never be too careful. I also would highly recommend bringing a friend. Additionally, do not bring cash ahead of time, ask if he will accept a check or even paypal (if you have this option). If not, once you check out the AP, go to the bank and withdraw the money.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
^ This. I've got a Springfield Armory XDm .40 Compact + a concealed carry permit for my state. These days, you can never be too careful. I also would highly recommend bringing a friend. Additionally, do not bring cash ahead of time, ask if he will accept a check or even paypal (if you have this option). If not, once you check out the AP, go to the bank and withdraw the money.
Personally, as a long time seller on CL, I'd be pissed if a buyer offered a check (or even Paypal, for that matter). Personal checks give the seller ZERO security on the availability of funds, I wouldn't even consider taking one from a stranger. Seller's can be equally screwed by Paypal as well, since all the buyer has to do is open a dispute, and Paypal is (in my experiences) heavily biased toward the buyer. There are a ton of scammers on CL, so for me, it's cash or bust. If a buyer tries to screw around with me payment-wise, I'm keeping my stuff and driving home.

The best thing is to meet in a public place, and have a buddy in the car with your payment. That way, they can get help if something happens, and you aren't carrying massive amounts of cash on your person.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
OK, after reading all your lovely comments and suggestions; I decide to meet this craigslist guy this Sat morning. He sure everything is good and working for my car as well. He want $400-.
My question is: What exactly should I do/prepare before I go?

Many thanks :)
Other than prepping yourself for a CL tranaction, lol, what I would do is go on Cobb's site and download the AP Manager along with the associated maps for your MY so you have the most up-to-date maps in the event that the AP you receive doesn't already have them pre-loaded (ie. sellers car is either not a MY11 WRX or the maps are outdated). Better safe than sorry. In your case, the maps should be version 3.0 or v300 so double check that when you meet the guy and flash your ECU.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts